6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Thinking of buying. Need your knowledge.

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 02:36 AM
spanky32354
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thinking of buying. Need your knowledge.

I have the opportunity to buy a 2005 F250 super duty crew cab Harley Davidson edition with the 6.0 power stroke. 88,000 miles. $19,000. I've been hearing some bad things about the 6.0 so I thought I would come to the experts (you). Please give me your opinions, good or bad.
By the way. This looks like a very active site with lots of info. I will soon become a sponsor.
Thanks.

Old 02-08-2009, 09:41 AM
donjamer
Received 63 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by spanky32354
I have the opportunity to buy a 2005 F250 super duty crew cab Harley Davidson edition with the 6.0 power stroke. 88,000 miles. $19,000. I've been hearing some bad things about the 6.0 so I thought I would come to the experts (you). Please give me your opinions, good or bad.
By the way. This looks like a very active site with lots of info. I will soon become a sponsor.
Thanks.

Welcome to FTE Spanky...

The problem years where earlier than 2005.. There are issues with any motor... The 2005 should be a good one..

If buying from a dealers ask them for an Oasis report that shows all the warranty work done on the vehicle..

You might want to check out your Local IL Chapter..

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum122/

Old 02-08-2009, 02:43 PM
Wash1331
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome to FTE. I have hear tons of rumors of problems with the 6.0L PSD, but if you look at all other engines they have their problems too. If you like the truck go for it. I bought the '06 with same engine. Make sure you keep up on maintenance and don't try to go too wild with it.

Old 02-08-2009, 06:05 PM
texans
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
welcome to FTE. You picked the right place to find out about ford trucks. The 6.0 had problems with the 03 and 04 modles (some not All). The main problem that you will here about is head gaskets, and EGR cooler. You do have to keep up with the maintance on these trucks, as you do with any truck. Over all I would say the 05 is a great truck. You should get an oasis run on the truck to see what kind of work has been done to it. I you are not buying it from a dealler you can get the vin# and post on here (in the oasis thread in the 6.0 fourm at the top) there are guys that can get it and help read it for you.

Old 02-08-2009, 06:34 PM
spanky32354
New User
Thanks guys. This is the type of responses I was hoping for.

Old 02-08-2009, 07:07 PM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Ditto above. My '05 has been a great truck with no powertrain issues. Love the truck and plan on keeping it when I get my next one.

Old 02-08-2009, 07:26 PM
Sader
Senior User
That's a good deal there. First get an Oasis and make sure it's clean.
05's have had some STC ftg issues and IIRC some WIF sensor issues.
My mechanic threw a HPOP at the truck when they did my STC ftg.
My friends 05 at about the same mileage you are looking at only had the EGR cooler replaced. Get the Oasis, it doesn't have to be spotless,
just make sure it has not had every part under the sun thrown at it.(lemon)

Good Luck!

Old 02-08-2009, 09:59 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,468 Likes on 1,710 Posts
Here is my recommended procedure for buying used -

If you are looking at used 6.0's here are a few considerations (along w/ the OASIS and CARFAX reports that are essential).

Some 6.0L weak points (things to check):

Look for signs of coolant degas bottle overflow (dry white residue on and around the degas bottle or no level in degas bottle).

Lots of idling can cause EGR problems. I look at the hours on the engine (if it has this monitored) and divide the miles by the hours (is it below 30? If so, may have had lots of idling).

Even without much extended idling EGR valves can plug quickly - maybe negotiate for a new EGR valve. In fact, I would negotiate for them to pull the EGR valve to inspect it (have them show it to you when it is out and then you need to look into the intake). Check for wetness (w/ rear end jacked up) and for excess soot. Wetness indicates an EGR cooler leak. If the valve is gunked up, have them replace the valve. If the intake is real bad, you may push them to clean it as well.

Look underneath for oil leaks - some trucks have had a lot of them.

If you buy from a dealership, I would negotiate for them to install the latest flash of all 3 processors (PCM, FICM, ECM).

Negotiating for an extended warranty is always a good thing as well.

Try to find out about the routine maintenance:
· Filter change intervals on time? What kind of oil (CI 4 + or CJ 4 - one of these is required)?
· OEM filters? Look at them and see what kind they are. Aftermarket filters can cause MAJOR problems.
· Find proof of Transmission being flushed/changed - it is recommended every 30,000 miles.
· Any exhaust problems visible (i.e. lots of white or blue smoke)? White smoke may mean an EGR cooler leak.

Check for any FLUID leaks (as stated previously - LOOK SPECIFICALLY FOR OIL LEAKS - 6.0L are prone to many of these from many possible places!!).

CEL (Check Engine Light) on? Consider getting a code reader and check for DTC's. You can have active DTC’s without a CEL.

The Electronic Shift on the Fly ESOF sometimes fails due to vacuum leaks. Be sure to check this out (several times in and out of 4WD and/or take front wheels off to inspect).

Check for excessive wheel bearing wear (looseness), sway bar (end link looseness), or ball joint looseness. Ball joints and sway bar end links tend to go out in the 70k-90k range. Jack one side up at a time and see if each wheel moves top to bottom only, if so, it is the ball joints. If it moves in all directions then probably wheel bearings.

Check the coolant - it should have the Motorcraft Gold Coolant - anything else and there may be problems. Look in the "degas" bottle and inspect the fluid - it should be gold colored and there should be NO OIL visible (oil emulsified in water can show up as brown sludge). As previously stated, the degas bottle should not have white residue around the sides of it (possible overheating issues).

Any evidence of a tuner (aftermarket air filter, gauges, etc)? Tuners may or may not be bad. Some tuners are MURDER on the transmission. Some dealerships will cause you a lot of problems w/ them - even if you bought it that way used.

Aftermarket air systems could be a problem. Many of them (like K&N) do not filter as well and could cause issues. Up to 500 hp, the stock air system is best!

Try to find out if the original owner ever ran it empty on fuel or have plugged filters (fuel pressure below 45 psig can damage injectors)?

Then the common stuff I'm sure you know:
· Look at and smell the fluids. Make sure fluids not burnt, not too thick or dirty.
· Check the tires - abnormal wear?
· How do the brakes look? Any pads need replacement? Are the rear brakes excessively worn?
· All electronics working? Especially the AC (repair can be expensive)?
· Dents? Air bag been replaced, etc.
· See if he has any repair or maintenance records.
· Take off the price for windshield dings, paint chipped, torn upholstery, etc.
· Does the truck look too clean? Does it look like the oil was just changed? May be hiding something.
· Any extras - tool boxes, bumpers, etc.?
· Drive it - does it hesitate, stutter, or surge? Does it blow white or black smoke? When driving, brake fairly hard - note any pulls, pops, clunks, rattles, etc. How does it accelerate? You should romp on it pretty good. Drive in reverse and then back and forth - listen for clunks.

Add or subtract value based on condition, high miles, and presence of extras.

Old 02-08-2009, 11:45 PM
06 Beast
Junior User
Thats a perfect check list. The egr should be under warranty anyway. You can also get an extended warranty for 7yrs 200k miles on the engine for about $1800. Keep up with the maintenance and you could get over 400k miles.