6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Keep my 7.3L or buy a 6.4L

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 07:05 PM
jwhopson
Tuned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am going through a similar debate within myself. It seems like everywhere I turn there is something bad, or too many miles, or that 7.3 will be ten years old so don't pay over 12k for it. I was stuck on a diesel because I like to tow a trailer and boat - but the 6.4 doesn't get great mpg (the delete kit is interesting until a ford mechanic told me you can be fined up to 10k for doing it and it voids warranty - not sure if warranty comes on a used car anyway). Either way I like the 7.3 because it seems like you can tinker with it more, the 6.4 is attractive - we have one we are looking at seriously and its gorgeous other than he listed as XLT and its really a FX4 according to another link to the window sticker (thank you FTE). I am beginning to think that you just have to pull the trigger and if you get one that needs work at least you can feel better about how much research you have done.

Old 05-12-2012, 08:14 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Received 68 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by jwhopson
I am going through a similar debate within myself. It seems like everywhere I turn there is something bad, or too many miles, or that 7.3 will be ten years old so don't pay over 12k for it. I was stuck on a diesel because I like to tow a trailer and boat - but the 6.4 doesn't get great mpg (the delete kit is interesting until a ford mechanic told me you can be fined up to 10k for doing it and it voids warranty - not sure if warranty comes on a used car anyway). Either way I like the 7.3 because it seems like you can tinker with it more, the 6.4 is attractive - we have one we are looking at seriously and its gorgeous other than he listed as XLT and its really a FX4 according to another link to the window sticker (thank you FTE). I am beginning to think that you just have to pull the trigger and if you get one that needs work at least you can feel better about how much research you have done.

LOL, this is great. i think I'm the orginal poster on this thread. I've had my 6.4 now for almost 3 years and the thread is still alive. it was a tough decision but in my case I needed a dully and got a really good price on a 6.4 with only 4000 miles on it. i've not had any big problems with the 6.4 and I have 48,000 miles now. it is much more powerful than the 7.3 was. But there are a couple down sides. The DPF technology stinks. it fouls the oil, uses a lot of extra fuel and causes the truck to have turbo delay. i removed mine 8,000 miles ago, man it's a different truck with the DPF off. yeah, there is a chance the feds could fine me but very very unlikely. As i read the law, enforcement is delegated to the attorney general and I just don't see them coming looking for a deleted dpf. if your state is green crazy like california i guess they might get you on some smog check. now, no question the warranty is toast. I guess I could convert back and get an extended warranty but I would hate to go back to stock. it just sucks. So, I deleted with a yeat remaining on the power train warranty and took my chanches. That's the other down side to the 6.4, it can have some very costly problems. I'm talking 10 to 12,000 dollars and in some cases more. That's the reason you see so many for sale with around 100,000 miles. People don't want to own them out of warranty. So, good luck with your decision.

Old 05-12-2012, 09:08 PM
jwhopson
Tuned

Stanley, yes I never realize how old some threads are. I was all ok thinking the 6.4 is a go until your last comment about 10-12k in repairs, lol... Now I am back to the drawing board. I like 7.3 because I like to read FTE and tinker, but most of them are so worn out, lifted, chipped and regardless of how good the motor is - in a year or two - I can't see them having near the value they have today or yesterday. I know your going to say "do your research", which I am reading like crazy, but what major issues do you see with the 6.4 to warrant those dollars. The one I am looking at has 137k miles on it. Most of the info so far says, engine runs hard and strong, truck is great, can't handle idling very well and the worse yet is 15 mpg, means around 11 while towing - which is the very reason I want a diesel. My gasser just can't handle it very well and I want better mileage but can't go above $15-20k. Thank you for your response, and appreciate any effort or feedback you have. Especially appreciate your response and outcome from your prior decision.

Old 05-13-2012, 09:55 AM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Stanley, yes I never realize how old some threads are. I was all ok thinking the 6.4 is a go until your last comment about 10-12k in repairs, lol... Now I am back to the drawing board. I like 7.3 because I like to read FTE and tinker, but most of them are so worn out, lifted, chipped and regardless of how good the motor is - in a year or two - I can't see them having near the value they have today or yesterday. I know your going to say "do your research", which I am reading like crazy, but what major issues do you see with the 6.4 to warrant those dollars. The one I am looking at has 137k miles on it. Most of the info so far says, engine runs hard and strong, truck is great, can't handle idling very well and the worse yet is 15 mpg, means around 11 while towing - which is the very reason I want a diesel. My gasser just can't handle it very well and I want better mileage but can't go above $15-20k. Thank you for your response, and appreciate any effort or feedback you have. Especially appreciate your response and outcome from your prior decision.
First things first, finding a 7.3L with under 100,000 is very hard to do. I'm retired and spend a lot of time computer shopping, it's sort of a hobby. I found two in the past couple years with around 50K miles, both were on dealer lots and I could have traded about even for my 08. i just couldn't pull that trigger and I haven't seen another for 6 months or more.

I am seeing more and more 6.4Ls with high mileage (200,000 or more) so the truck is capable of getting there. I think mostly you would be Ok with 135,000 but I would want a good savy diesel mechanic to check it out. There are just enough threads on here about rocker arms or valve lifters or other internal parts that go bad to the tune of 8 to 10 thousand or in one recent thread $25K to give me pause about what I want to do. So you would be wise to give some serious thought to that. Most of those high dollar repairs are under warranty so I'm thinking I could get the same stuff done at a private diesel shop a lot cheaper, still it must be considered. If I were looking for a 6.4 I would look for one I could get a clear and accurate history on. I would insist that it had been maintained on the severe duty schedule, that it had fuel additives with every fill up and would perfer one that had been dpf deleted with a mild tune and not driven by a wild eyed hillbilly with a size 14 right foot. I think that would be my best shot at getting a truck that would last.

now let's talk fuel mileage. If you buy a 6.4L mileage will suck. It will suck less if you get a SRW (provided that meets your towing needs) with a 3.73 or I think some may have come with a 3.31 rear axle. (again consider your towing needs). If you need as I do a truck that will pull a barn up a pine tree than you gotta have a 4.10 or 4.30. If you delete the dpf it will gain you some increase, the reports are all over the place so I'm not sure. I gained about 15 to 20% by deleting and running a very modest (+35HP) tune. That brought daily driving which I don't do much of to about 14 and towing up to around 10. that's it. i never drive enough highway without the trailer to get a reading. So, keep your expectations real.

As a final confusing thought, I have considered a 6L as a truck I would own. Indications are that by later model years most of the early problems had been dealt with. or find one that has the fixes (head bolts and egr delete)already installed. They have no dpf and have most of the same stuff tow/haul, built in trailer brake etc that the 08 has. You can mod them til your nose bleeds and nobody will care. And they are plentiful and cheaper than a 7.3L with comparable mileage.

Any way good luck with your decision. hope this helps.

Old 05-13-2012, 10:26 AM
jwhopson
Tuned

Yes, it helps very much, especially to know that you search through the threads - that is very important and having the time to do so. I have always been so wary of the 6.0, even the later years just because of the perception, i recognize the difference between those that are informed and those that aren't, but perception is harder to deal with. One silly question, I see SRW and DRW - what is this? I was thinking it was axle ratio?

Old 05-13-2012, 10:40 AM
BigSilly86
Like A Boss!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, it helps very much, especially to know that you search through the threads - that is very important and having the time to do so. I have always been so wary of the 6.0, even the later years just because of the perception, i recognize the difference between those that are informed and those that aren't, but perception is harder to deal with. One silly question, I see SRW and DRW - what is this? I was thinking it was axle ratio?
SRW= single rear wheel DRW= dual rear wheel

Old 05-16-2012, 07:40 AM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Hey JW, I saw an ad yesterday and thought of you. There is a 7.3L with 61,000 miles on the Atlanta craigs list. I think it's dual wheels but not sure. Check it out.

Old 05-16-2012, 08:55 PM
tgreening
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by StanleyZ

now let's talk fuel mileage. If you buy a 6.4L mileage will suck. It will suck less if you get a SRW (provided that meets your towing needs) with a 3.73 or I think some may have come with a 3.31 rear axle. (again consider your towing needs). If you need as I do a truck that will pull a barn up a pine tree than you gotta have a 4.10 or 4.30.

Funny thing about that fuel mileage. You've seen my truck and the camper I pull. It weighs in at about 16k-17k depending. I usually get anywhere from 8.5-9.5 dragging it around. Just yesterday I actually used my truck for "work" and hooked up my gooseneck. I made a short run hauling pretty close to 20K and easily managed a good 12.5 - 13 mpg! Imagine that.

For a fat azz truck weighing in close to 10k hauling that much weight I'd say that fuel mileage was not bad at all.

Now, just to rile the "other side"....Beat that with your 6.8 gasser!!!

The real interesting part is learning just how much fuel mileage that ginormous front cap on the camper costs me.

Old 05-19-2012, 05:40 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
LOL @ the V10 jab.

Old 05-19-2012, 06:49 PM
jwhopson
Tuned

Stanley, I gotta share this story.... I have heard so many good and bad things about diesels, 6.0 has issues, 6.4 is a gas hot, etc... Regardless I had my heart set on a 2008 6.4, it was gorgeous. We secured financing and it was about a three hour drive for us to go see the rig. B4 I left I decided to have a close friend do an Oasis report; it just saved us 20k. The truck had 137k on it, and it had three engines total, two engines and the third he said was a block rebuild/replace (I think he said small block). Regardless the report was well over three pages he said. I couldn't see it (don't know why he wouldn't send it to me), but he just gave me the truck details. Needless to say, I took that one off my list. It also had three injectors replaced (this was the last maint.) apparently it was all under warranty - but now that the warranty is gone, it's now a wallet . Since others will read this - this is not a slam on 6.4, there are good and bad ones and its true that bad rarely happens but it does happen and it looks like this may be one of them.

A good story - I test drove a 7.3 2000 F350 this morning, 125k, black, longbed and it looks like we will get this one. My girlfriend is demanding she won't drive it because it's too big to park, etc... but it will be a nice tow rig. I agree that it is too long, but for the price and miles and considering all other trucks out there this is a good one. It was so clean, and only 12k miles in the last four years. No mods either. I am super excited to put some "safe" mods and tinker around with it (but not max it out or lift it up). I am hoping to get 15-18mpg while towing -- please baby please.

Thank you for looking - it would have been a heck of a trip but I really appreciate you taking the time and effort.

Old 05-19-2012, 06:57 PM
jwhopson
Tuned

StanleyZ,
If you get time check out my other post
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post11853967 and see if you have input.