Simple WVO collection pumping setup

Old 02-16-2009, 01:54 PM
TXHillCountry
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jack_99V10
DFA sells 2 collection pumps now. They are self priming.

DFA? Not familiar with them...

Old 02-16-2009, 06:16 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by TXHillCountry
They are the sponsor of this forum...............

Old 02-16-2009, 06:39 PM
helopilot
Freshman User
Try Utahbiodieselsupply.com the have several really good pumps.

Old 02-17-2009, 01:49 PM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Received 1,888 Likes on 1,140 Posts
Originally Posted by TXHillCountry
Dino Fuel Alternatives. They sell a 12v diaphragm pump. Its not cheap or particularly fast, but I like it 'cause it only pulls 10amps and will run for HOURS - and pretty quiet too! I have pumped VO the consistency of brownie dough with it!! (slooooowly)

Old 02-17-2009, 07:33 PM
TxFordGuy
Senior User
This seems like a pretty good pump WVO Pump - 20gpm | WVO Designs

Does that DFA pump really only pull that? i tried a tuthill once and kept burning up 40amp fuses. How does that pump only pull that? i got run that off my 12V RV plg power

Old 02-17-2009, 10:57 PM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Originally Posted by TxFordGuy
This seems like a pretty good pump WVO Pump - 20gpm | WVO Designs

Does that DFA pump really only pull that? i tried a tuthill once and kept burning up 40amp fuses. How does that pump only pull that? i got run that off my 12V RV plg power
Yep. I have a 10amp fuse on mine and pumped brownie dough thick VO (it was about 10*F and high-fats, PHO) using a 'loose' battery for 3-4 hours one day. It never even slowed down. Heck, you can safely pull 10a off the cig lighter port!! I'm gonna try to use the 6 (or 7) pin trailer harness for a 12v supply at back of truck...

How? It is a diaphragm pump. It has a smallish motor that simply moves a membrane back and forth - check valve(s) make it flow one direction. A centrifugal or gear pump will draw more amps when under a 'load' - this style of pump doesn't really know the difference (other than gpm drops way off).

I was hoping for a bit better performance with cold oil, and it WILL NOT 'push' the oil thru any kind filter. It will self prime and pump stuff no 12v pump I've seen can touch!

For 1/10th the price - I would (and do!) use a HF blue pump before that 'WVO designs' pump. Actually, I have a few of them! I found that most of my spills were due to 'sharing' pumps and hoses. When switching a hose or moving a pump, invariably a hose falls and its contents run out or worse - the hose falls and siphons the oil out of a tank!! Now, I have dedicated pumps and hoses for each task (I could have 10 of'em for that price!!) The OP is looking for something cheap and portable for collection.

Old 02-20-2009, 04:23 PM
Knotwild
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The best thing I have found is a 120 gallon propane tank with a 1" opening and hose barb fitted. Then I got a 12V air compressor from JC Whitney Superflow Heavy-duty Air Compressor : JC Whitney: Auto Parts & Accessories
and attached a 3/8 hose to the suction side of the compressor. Works great and doesn't cost much.

Old 02-20-2009, 05:27 PM
CheaperJeeper
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Knotwild
The best thing I have found is a 120 gallon propane tank with a 1" opening and hose barb fitted. Then I got a 12V air compressor from JC Whitney Superflow Heavy-duty Air Compressor : JC Whitney: Auto Parts & Accessories
and attached a 3/8 hose to the suction side of the compressor. Works great and doesn't cost much.
LOL, I already have one of those compressors. I use it for my Jeep tires back up after I get off the trail.

Like I said earlier, a super sucker might work well, but it isn't what I'm looking for. That 120 gal propande tank of yours, what did it cost you and what does it weight (empty)? Big, akward, heavy, just not what I want. Though since I already have one of those compressors, I might end up making one from a spare H2O tank anyway.

I may have found my ultimate solution. Harbor Freight sells a gas-powered trash pump just a hair bigger than this one

for $129,- and I just got a 20% off coupon in the mail. That will make it about $115 after taxes and out the door.

The one pictured above has a 25 cc motor and does 23 gpm. The HF unit has a 52 cc motor and does 31 gpm. It also will pump up to 63 feet high and self prime with up to a 19 foot lift! Of course the HF unit isn't a honda engine, but for 1-1/2 times the capacity and half the price, it seems like the best value...

Old 02-20-2009, 11:16 PM
Knotwild
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have to admit that pump looks sweet. I paid a 100.00 for the propane tank and 69.00 for the compressor. The tank is heavy, but I slide it in and out of my truck off a trailer with no problem. I didn't realize they made a self priming pump that small!

The thing I like about the super sucker is that it is fairly clean. No oil left in a pump or anything.

The compressor will collapse a water tank if you aren't careful. I know from personal experience!

Old 02-21-2009, 01:06 PM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
That pump will work fine. Just don't expect those gpm numbers pumping VO!!

Here's my Honda 4 cycle 1" water pump:

'Self-priming' is not exactly accurate. The pump must have liquid in it to work. I got sick of the vinyl hoses getting stiff and switched to this pool vac hose stuff - oh, and the valve is so suction hose is always full of oil (no waiting to 'prime'). In that pic you see I have water hose adapter on discharge side. I have filter heads w/garden hose adapters as well, I often use this pump to filter clean oil into my truck when I'm on the road.

This is my 'lil grease trailer. I put same hose as suction on tote and pump directly into bottom of tote - no more messes 'cause hose jumped out of top of drum/tote!! When I'm not so poor, I'll put camlock connectors on everything... The sand is for spills, I usually keep it in 5 gal bucket(s), but this get wet, then froze.... Its on my list of things to do! lol

Old 02-21-2009, 01:19 PM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
One more thing, the collapsible discharge hose never worked for me. The pump does not prime well if there is much restriction on discharge side.

Old 02-21-2009, 01:22 PM
CheaperJeeper
Posting Guru
Nice setup skyski. I'll be starting out with a 3/4" garden hose for suction and a 5/8" for discharge. I like your "wand" - especially the valve feature. I'm gonna' have to build myself one of those.

I know that my new pump isn't going to push the rated 31 gpm when pumping oil, but just out of curiousity, how much does your little 23 gpm rated Honda push?

Like I said, for $115 out the door, I figured I couldn't go wrong on this one. I couldn't build a super sucker for that, and the pump is more portable and versatile. I'll probably build a 50 gallon sucker anyway (sooner or later) since I already have a spare (gas) H20 tank and the air compressor.

Old 02-21-2009, 01:37 PM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Originally Posted by CheaperJeeper
Nice setup skyski. I'll be starting out with a 3/4" garden hose for suction and a 5/8" for discharge. I like your "wand" - especially the valve feature. I'm gonna' have to build myself one of those.

I know that my new pump isn't going to push the rated 31 gpm when pumping oil, but just out of curiousity, how much does your little 23 gpm rated Honda push?

Like I said, for $115 out the door, I figured I couldn't go wrong on this one.
Yeah, what is that, about 40 gals of diesel!! I spent a little over $300 for mine - but pumped 450 gals the first day and 1000's of gals since!! It had a 2yr parts and labor warranty, but have'nt had a problem yet. Well, I have taken cover off pump to remove some french fries. The gaskets are all rubber - they swell and change shape when exposed to VO, so I did buy those gaskets once already, about $10..

I had the vinyl 1" id hose on suction until I did what you see - with about 20 ft of cheap garden hose (maybe 1/2" id??) on discharge, it would move up to 15 gpm of cool oil, quite a bit more if it was warm/hot - it will move some pretty thick stuff, but slows waaaay down! I have pumped 150ft w/garden hose!! The larger hoses should help quite a bit!

When filtering, I usually change filters when flow drops below about 1 gpm.