Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's installed

Old 01-14-2001, 02:35 AM
xaviar
Elder User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It's installed

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 14-Jan-01 AT 03:39 AM (EST)[/font][p]Just wanted to brief you guys on the exhaust transformation I did to my truck over the weekend. I bought the Gale Banks PowerPack system with Torque Tube Headers. I must say spending 1500 bucks for a exhaust system is something i didn't plan on, but I'm glad I did. Everything fit very well and the difference is like night and day in performance. Sound is great, off line power is fantastic and crusing power is awesome! This thing is torquey.

This system took me approximately 22 hours to install, plus with the removal of complete stock system. I also bought the Trans Command Unit for the E4OD. I tell ya, pulling the manifolds off a big block 460 in a late model truck was no piece of cake. Installation went pretty much without a hitch. The only difficulty came about was trying to install air pump tube to header on passenger side. Took about 3 hours. Tranny shifts are crisp and that very noticeable lag shift between 3 and 4 has been corrected.

I must say that I'm impressed!! Most of you I've spoke with gave the system a thumbs up. I must say you're right! I can see racking up huge amounts of miles now since the system is installed.

Well,just wanted to pass on some info and what I experienced with installing the system.

Thanks for the feedback

Xaviar
96 F-250HD 460/E4OD 4x4.

Old 01-14-2001, 04:47 AM
karljay
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's installed

If you think the 460 intake off a truck is bad, try the stock FE cast iron intake, the largest and heaviest stock intake I've ever seen.

Anyways, is this system a turbo upgrade to a stock turbo, or is this a new turbo on a non-turbo stock system? What does the kit consist of? Sounds like a nice upgrade.

Old 01-15-2001, 12:48 AM
xaviar
Elder User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It's installed

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 15-Jan-01 AT 02:00 AM (EST)[/font][p]>If you think the 460 intake
>off a truck is bad,
>try the stock FE cast
>iron intake, the largest and
>heaviest stock intake I've ever
>seen.
Been there done that. Had a 71 F 250 with a 390. You talk about heavy. Never could remove those exhaust manifold bolts on a FE without breaking a bolt or two.

>Anyways, is this system a turbo
>upgrade to a stock turbo,
>or is this a new
>turbo on a non-turbo stock
>system?
It's neither, Just a complete exhaust upgrade with torque tube headers, Muffler, tailpipe, hangers, K&N filter with ram air intake housing for air cleaner.

What does the kit consist of?
It kit came with Stainless Steel Torque Tube headers with 5/8 flange machined flat. Tube's run down into a 3" collector and 3" intermediate pipe. Muffler is a stainless freeflow dynoflow? Its about 3' long an 1' in diameter. Sounds is great too. Tailpipe is stainless at 3.5" into a 4"x1' chrome tip.

Sounds like a nice upgrade.
Too me it's a great upgrade. I checked all around for headers for my truck but the only two companies I found (that I liked) was JBA Performance and Gale Banks. JBA's headers were $750 with a 3/8 flange, non Stainless. I would still need a complete system from the cat back after that. All the prices I checked into came out to $1200 bucks with 2.5" tails after I'd install the JBA's

To me I felt the Gale Banks setup a more complete system. It was a few hundred more but everything fit like a glove and I believe the quality to be top notch. I had a chance to meet a couple guys here at the Ford Dearlership with the Power Pack system installed on their trucks and they love'em.

I also purchased a Trans Command computer from him. It recalibrates the shifting characteristics of the E4OD to a more positive shift. I'm very pleased with this upgrade too. It was a additional 225.00 bucks too. I already had the B&M version of this upgrade but didn't install it.

I've already rack on a couple hundred miles in two days. Its a totally different truck now and I'm very please with it.

They claim a additional 68HP and 85 ft-lbs on top of what you have already, 460 motor. If those figures are true, that would put me at 300 plus HP and over 500 ft-lbs. I think I can live with that for now............LOL

If you care too check out his products, his site is www.bankspower.com

take care,
Xaviar

Old 02-04-2001, 02:43 PM
tow2sno
New User
It's installed

Sounds like a great system. I have a 1990 F-250, 460, E4od, 4x4 that I use for towing. I installed the Doug Thorley tri-y headers, aftermarket cat, flowmaster pipe, and a mandrel bent 3" exhaust pipe. I also had a stage ll B&M shift kit inatalled in my tranny when I recently had it rebuilt. It works excelllant! The next addition will probably be a gearvendors under/overdrive. I recently looked into a Vortech supercharger, however after researching it, it doesn't sound like they work very efficiently on my application. It only adds 65 ft lbs of torque to a stock engine. Question: How do you come up with over 500 ft lbs of torque? Stock torque on an efi 460 should be anywhere from 385 to 405 depending on the year.

Old 02-06-2001, 11:56 AM
bgodkin
Elder User
It's installed

Just out of curiosity, what is your fuel milage around town and on the Highway. I have a chance to pick up a 92 F350 RC/LB 4x4 460 5 speed from a buddy of mine. he is saying it gets around 14 to 15 in town and 18 to 19 on the highway. These numbers seem too high for what it is. Thanks!

Brad Godkin
1986 F350 CC/SRW
6.9liter/C6

Old 02-06-2001, 12:29 PM
tow2sno
New User
It's installed

Ha Ha Ha ! No way dude! He is full of it. The best I have ever seen in mileage is 15 mpg. That was before I re-geared to 4:10's. Now on a great day I might get as high as 11.5 around town, although I use it primarily for towing so it doesn't see a lot of around town use. The power of the 460 for towing is exceptional. The next addition that might even help in the mileage department is a gearvendor under/overdrive. I'm looking for a good used one, however I doubt I'll be successful. If I have to buy a new one I will. The truck is in such great condition, and it has been paid off for a long time, so I can't see purchusing a newer one when this one does such a good job. It makes it a little more prudent to spend money on accesoriesi this situation. Towing I have gotten as little as 7.5 mpg and as high as 10 mpg, depending on wind, terrain, etc. I live in Idaho, and most of my towing is up and down steep grades, which has a very detrimental effect on mileage!

Old 02-06-2001, 12:49 PM
bgodkin
Elder User
It's installed

I figured as much. His has 3.54 gears. In Texas we do alot of pulling on the flats and I only see about 15 loaded with my 86 F350 with a 6.9 liter and 20-22 on a trip empty. The last 460 I was around was in an 85 F250 and it got 7 no matter what lol. Gotta love the power though.

Brad Godkin
1986 F350 CC/SRW
6.9liter/C6