1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

ranger off road bumpers!! and rear lockers

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 02:49 AM
2pazr
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ranger off road bumpers!! and rear lockers

i have a 2004 egde and am looking for a tubular bumper to go on the front!! any places!! im on socal, also has any one put a rear locker in there 8.8 if so what one and how do you like it??

Old 02-06-2009, 07:02 AM
wendell borror
Post Fiend
I know James Duff sells tube bumpers for rangers. I don't care for locker on the street as they pop and don't like to corner. However on my 04 ranger 4x4 I installed a detroit tru-trac gear driven lsd and my 09 has the gear driven torson lsd. They have great street manors and grab and pull like a tractor off/road. They have no clutches to wear out or don't need modifiers. The gear driven lsd's are the next best thing to a full locker without having one as they pull like a locker when you need it. You may get a little tire chirp when making a tight turn, but other than that, they are excellent on the street. Off/road or in the snow, they just get busy. I love them. If I had an off/road only vehicle, I would go with a full locker, but for a street driven truck, the detroit tru-trac or torson is the way to go in my opinion.

Old 02-06-2009, 10:51 PM
reddog99
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by wendell borror
..... They have no clutches to wear out or don't need modifiers. ....
I'm not too sure about that modifier requirement. My Ford shop manual says to put it in...

Old 02-07-2009, 05:47 AM
wendell borror
Post Fiend
You do need it if you have the ford trc-loc lsd as it has clutches, the torson is gear driven and doesn't require modifiers. If you have clutch packs in your lsd, then you need a modifier.

Old 02-07-2009, 11:54 AM
reddog99
Laughing Gas
The torson is gear driven and doesn't require modifiers.
Wendell, that's what I always thought, and it still doesn't make sense to me, but to quote from the Ford official shop manual:
CAUTION: First fill the rear axle with
118 ml (4 oz) of friction modifier.
NOTE: Service refill capacities are determined
by filling the rear axle to the level shown.
Fill the rear axle with 2.54 liters (5.37 pints) of
rear axle lubricant and install the filler plug.
Keep in mind that this is quoted from the section on the Torsen, or as they title it, "Rear Drive Axle/Differential — Ford 8.8-Inch Ring Gear High Torque". The main difference between the this section and the same section on the Traction-Lok, is that the "High Torque" section calls for the use of synthetic lubricant and the Traction-Lok does not.

Pat

Old 02-07-2009, 01:44 PM
wendell borror
Post Fiend
I never read the manual since I've had my torson. I believe thats a mistake on fords part as I'm sure there use to dealing with clutch driven lsd's To be safe, you can add the modifier.. I know the detroit tru-trac is gear driven and it doesn't need modifiers. The torson is about the same thing. I think I'll check torsons web site and see what I can find out.

Old 02-07-2009, 02:27 PM
wendell borror
Post Fiend
Reddog99, I was wrong. according to torson, you can use dino or synthetic oil with extreme presure additives for optimal function. So I would assume that the extreme presure additives are some kind of modifier. The torson and tru-trac are about the same design, but the torson says it works best with extreme presure additives where as the tru-trac need nothing but a good synthetic oil. I'm glad you brought this to my attention, or I might of screwed it up when I went to convert to all synthetics. From what your saying, the torson allready has synthetic fluid and a modifier. I'll have to look over my owners manual when I get my truck back from the body shop from where the wife rolled it. I guess it doesn't pay to take things for granit. It also confirms that when a tire is jacked in the air, the torson won't be able to split the torque without some kind of resistance. To combat this they have developed the torson II. The way I combat it is by appling a little brake presure. Like the tru-trac, it causes both wheels to pull together. It's a trick I learned to get an lsd to act like a locker when you have a tire in the air. I don't really rock crawl, so I don't find myself in that situation a lot. I mostly do old logging and fire roads, plus mountain trails. I don't care for that extreme stuff, life is short enough ha ha. I do cross over some logs and rocks from time to time, so the brake trick comes into play. With all the wheels planted, the torson pulls like a freight train passing power back and fourth between the 2 rear wheels slinging dirt, rocks and mud. The torson will throw some mean rooster tails.

Old 02-07-2009, 10:44 PM
reddog99
Laughing Gas
2pazr, sorry for hijacking your thread!

Wendell, Although I put that modifier in the oil when I changed it, I wasn't real happy about it. It doesn't seem right that something meant for oil immersed clutches should be mixed in with all those gears in the Torsen. What exactly is "modified"??? Is the oil made more slippery or less????

Old 02-07-2009, 11:00 PM
2pazr
Junior User
some one was saying that they got a ausi locker any one try these??

Old 02-08-2009, 06:03 AM
wendell borror
Post Fiend
The modifier is to let the clutches operate in oil, so they will engage and not slip. I have no clue what this stuff does for the gear driven torson.
The aussie is a good unit at a steal of a price, but they only had one for the 32 spline axle 8.8 last time I checked. Most rangers are 27 spline except for the FX4 level II's. They have the 32 spline with a torson lsd. Explorer's have 32 spline axles with either an open or lsd rear diff, So the last time I looked, aussie didn't offer nothing for your average ranger. Maybe they do now, I haven't looked in a while, Aussie is a full lunch dox locker with all the corks that go with a full locker, but it's a good one. A lot of my jeep buddies use them.

Old 02-08-2009, 04:22 PM
Big_Al59
Laughing Gas
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I have a powertrax no slip installed in mine. Had it for a couple years now and am happy with it. It is excellent off road and is well behaved on the street. You don't want to romp on it in a corner but other than that it's good on the pavement. They are easy to install, you can do it in the driveway in an hour or two.

Old 02-08-2009, 11:58 PM
HappyJack
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Seems to me I read somewhere that Torsen has different levels of units. That is some with pre-load and some with out. My rememberer is not very good these days but t-1 and t-2 seem ta be what I remember. The t-1 was not offered after market with pre-load but the t-1 in the FX4 did have pre-load. The pre-load was available or used on the t-2. Now I don't know if the current Torsen used in the Rangers still have the pre-load or what years that was true. I read somewhere that the early FX4's had some problem with the Torsen. Could be the pre-load is a clutch used to apply resistance to the tire off the ground. I remeber when the Gleason Torsen True Trac first came out. Guess them folks went different directions.

Now I have never had or used a Torsen or an Ausi. But I have used a bunch of Lock Rights, Detriot Lockers, True Trac, Power Locks, Auburn, and Trac Locks. Some like this and others hate it. I like a full on Detriot Locker. My 88 BII hast them front and back. My 94 Explorer has the No-Spin unit in back and is open if front. Both are and have been daily drivers and have taken long highway trips. But not all like them. Some of the group I travel with were very vocal about hearing the rachiting of my lockers. So I tried the True Trac for a while. And then the No Spin. But I really like my lockers so those folks are just gonna have to learn to live with it. I like the Lock Right because I can install it my self. And I then carry the old Spider and Side gear with me incase there is a problem. But I have a great gear guy who sets up my axles and for me a Detroit Locker is what I really like above all else. Just can't get anything stronger or more possitive.

Now as you can see others like differnt things from what I do. I don't drive near as fast as I used to and I do not expect my trucks to drive or ride like a Mustang.

Old 02-09-2009, 12:07 PM
wendell borror
Post Fiend
Without a dout the detroit locker is the best and strongest locker on the market. If you don't mind there on highway corks, they are an awesome unit. There not bad once you get use to them on the road. However, there not for everyone. The good thing is there's a locker or lsd to fit everyone's taste. If you spend most of your time on the road, then I would sugest the torson or tru-trac. If you spend a lot of time wheeling, then the detroit locker is the way to go. You can have the best of both worlds with a selectable locker, but they can be pricey.

Old 02-09-2009, 12:53 PM
2pazr
Junior User
Ya i dont do much off roading in this truck yet but im wanting more traction!!

Old 02-09-2009, 06:46 PM
wendell borror
Post Fiend
I would sugest the detroit tru-trac gear driven lsd, it will give you loads of traction and still play nice on the highway.