1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

351windsor with no power HELP!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 01:05 PM
farmall hcrazy
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
351windsor with no power HELP!!!!!

Hi yall I have a 351windsor and i got it going about a month ago and it was running pretty good (i dont think i ever got the timing write) but after a while it lost almost all power and now if you want to try to go some where you have to ease on the gas and if your lucky it will go. Here is the wered part if you have it in park it runs pretty good(not perfect though) does any one know what my problem might be.

Old 02-05-2009, 04:33 PM
raerjim
Fleet Mechanic
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We need more info, but it sounds like weak fuel pump or carburetor issues. It had decent power but lost it? How did you set the timing? "Here is the wered part if you have it in park it runs pretty good(not perfect though)" Maybe you should just leave it in park! (just kidding)

Old 02-05-2009, 04:59 PM
49fordpickumup
Elder User
351 farmall

You may have one problem, maybe two. I would check out the linkage on the tranny to see what you get in each gear. History on tranny condition?If it's ok in park, that would tell me tranny fix first. Many things you can check on the engine.

Old 02-05-2009, 05:28 PM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 467 Likes on 303 Posts
Go back to the timing, the "(i dont think i ever got the timing write)" says it all. Check the distributor cap, rotor, plug wires, and spark plugs. If they are old just replace them and eliminate that potential problem. No power under load is not a transmission problem, get the engine timed and running correctly first, then worry about how it drives later.

Old 02-05-2009, 10:07 PM
farmall hcrazy
Freshman User
It has a new fuel pump and the carburator has just been rebuilt by a pro. And i set my timing by ear and it may sound a little better but it never fixes any thing. I think my vacume advance moduel has gone bad also. Could fuil p.s.i. still be a problem?

Old 02-06-2009, 04:50 AM
55 f350
Post Fiend
you didnt get mad and tell it it was a chevy did you ????????? i once told my flatty i was gonna replace it with one as i was mad at it .... wouldn't start for a week ! seriously , is the distributor in a tooth off or ?? it sounds to me like its timing / ignition related just by what you've posted .

Old 02-06-2009, 09:19 AM
dave boley
Posting Guru
I had a similar problem with a 302 and if you have the same kind of cam gear it might be your problem. In my case the nylon gear ring on the cam gear had slipped and moved. It would run but it was hard to start and had almost no power. I was working away from home by about 150 miles and it took me forever to get it home. I replaced the cam gear wit an all metal gear and it fixed the problem. I hope this is not your problem because it's a pain to fix in the vehicle.

Later Man...

Old 02-06-2009, 09:43 AM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,831 Likes on 1,833 Posts
Kinda sounds like a fuel issue to me, runs good with no load but no power under load. When the fuel pump was replaced and the carb overhauled was the filter replaced? Check the fuel psi at the carb, should be approx 4-6 psi. If you don't have a gauge you can always do it down and dirty by pulling the line loose, directing into some kind of catch can and crank it over and see if you have a good steady stream.

Bobby

Old 02-06-2009, 01:29 PM
jaye
Posting Guru
I also think you should check to see if there are any open/cracked vacumn lines my truck started running rough a few week ago I went through a lot just to discover that one of the rubber vacumn caps had dry-rotted and slpit.

Old 02-06-2009, 10:15 PM
farmall hcrazy
Freshman User
It has a new fuel filter. And now i have another problem though today I got a new distributer(it was cheeper to buy a distributer than a vacume advance) and I reely can not get it to start(I have allready checked my wiring) no matter which way it turn it and i have allready checked to see if it is 180 out. P.S. I am not sure if it is is blowing out the carb or if it is trying to start sometimes. Any ideas.