Straight pipe exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2001, 02:30 PM
scrapper
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Straight pipe exhaust?

I was thinking of getting a straight pipe exhaust system for my bronco cuz i want it LOUD. can anyone give some more information on installation, parts, and how loud itll actually be?

Old 06-27-2001, 04:13 PM
crazy_goodolboy
Senior User
Straight pipe exhaust?

I was thinking of getting a straight pipe exhaust system for my bronco cuz i want it LOUD. can anyone give some more information on installation, parts, and how loud itll actually be?
Ah, finally somebody who knows what sounds good. By "getting" do you mean building or purchasing? You plan on installing it yourself like a true american?
Do you want duals? Do you already have duals? I have to know a little more about this planned procedure fore I can give you much more info.
As for how loud it will be, that varies on how you build the system, what engine you have, and sometimes pure luck. You can listen to the trucks on this site http://www.wworld.com/users/ninjaandy/lobby.html .
The Chevy isn't truely straight pipe. It still has the cat. The Wrecker isn't completely straight pipe either, because it has tractor mufflers. The General however has a hollowed cat and straight pipe behind that. It will give you a good idea of what you're going to hear.

Old 06-27-2001, 10:31 PM
scrapper
New User
Straight pipe exhaust?

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 27-Jun-01 AT 11:33 PM (EST)[/font][p]yes im going to install it myself on a 5.8L v8 bronco. i want duals. this is for a future bronco that may or may not already have duals. would like drilling some holes in the mufflers of my flowmasters make it louder? would it be that simple? i couldnt get that link to work.

Old 06-28-2001, 01:38 AM
scrapper
New User
Straight pipe exhaust?

also, how will this effect the cars performance?

Old 06-29-2001, 06:29 PM
crazy_goodolboy
Senior User
Straight pipe exhaust?

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 27-Jun-01 AT 11:33 PM (EST)[/font]

yes im going to install it myself on a 5.8L v8 bronco. i want duals. this is for a future bronco that may or may not already have duals. would like drilling some holes in the mufflers of my flowmasters make it louder? would it be that simple? i couldnt get that link to work.
If it already has duals you're in good shape. For true straight piped goodness, those cats have to come off. If the bronco is a newer one (i.e. EFI) then it'll have some wacky pipe between the cat and manifold or cat and other cat that is near impossible to adapt to. If it's like that, you may have to hollow the cat (emmission laws pending.) However, with a newer one like that, you may not want to screw with the cat, because it might mess up your computer readings.
If you are converting from single to dual, you have a few options. You can cut the crossover piece out of the y pipe and plug the part that came from the drivers side into the passenger side pipe (I have no idea what the best method is for plugging it). Then weld or otherwise attach some pipe on the drivers side so that it goes directly back. The few flaws in this system are accurate cuts and good sealing. Another option for dualing it out is to buy the correct pipes and flanges to bolt up to the manifold. This is just your first 2 foot or so of pipe. It doesn't have to be new, but make sure it has a decent donut gasket. Before you start hacking apart pipes, make sure your driver side pipe won't be too close to the gas tank(s).
For the most part, installation is real cut and dry, keep the pipe as straight as possible unless you have to curve around something. The cheapest route for obtaining pipe for a job like this is the dumpster behind a muffler shop. You can ask for some old pipe or just wait till after dark (mwu ha ha). From my experience, they don't get a whole lot for scrapping it, so they usually don't mind giving it to you. Often, people take brand new vehicles in for custom exhaust work and brand new pipe gets dumped right into the dumpster. Pipes with long, straight segments are most benificial. 2 - 2 1/2" pipe would be great. The only real pipe you should purchase is the possible adapters. They're about $1.50 at Autozone.
Drilling holes in the muffler would make it louder, but not a good loud. It would sound like crap. It would more or less just be an air popcorn popper sound.
As for performance, it should help a lot. However, some of the newer (I consider anything with EFI to be newer, go figure) models may run real rich because of this kind of setup. Old carbed models though usually benefit greatly. I've felt a dramatic increase in power just from getting rid of the muffler.
As for the link, you can't just click on it. The only active links on this site are links that refer to other pages on this site. You have to copy and paste it into your address bar. Or, possibly, it will work if I use an href in HTML. [a href="http://www.wworld.com/users/ninjaandy/trucks/lobby.html"]See if clicking here works.[/a]

Old 07-01-2001, 12:18 AM
crazy_goodolboy
Senior User
Straight pipe exhaust?

Just an update. I've gotten rid of the cat and tractor mufflers on my '82 F-150 and piped it out and dear lord it is beautiful! I'll post again when I get a new sound bite up.

Old 07-01-2001, 09:30 PM
scrapper
New User
Straight pipe exhaust?

awesome dude thanks. also, how much of an increase in horsepower do u think this makes? does it affect fuel efficiency?

Old 07-03-2001, 06:30 AM
TallPaul
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Straight pipe exhaust?

Old 07-05-2001, 09:38 AM
deere81
Senior User
Straight pipe exhaust?

THats a great idea. straight pipes rule