1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Freshly painted frame / what's next?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 07:25 PM
19fifty4
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Question Freshly painted frame / what's next?

Where do I begin? Aside from the passenger side cab mount that I bought today and need to bolt on...in what sequence do I do what?

Old 01-31-2009, 08:04 PM
mossyoak1992
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
get your axles under it then start workin on brakes

Old 02-01-2009, 10:47 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mossyoak1992
get your axles under it then start workin on brakes
I agree. Beyond that it depends on your build. Will this be a totally original truck or a rod?

Old 02-01-2009, 12:58 PM
thewizard182
New User
I'm at the same point as you on a 56. I just put the rear axle back under it, I need to finish painting the front and then it goes in. Then the engine. I'm going to start on mounting the gas tank, fuel lines, and brake lines next. Probably electrical after that.

Old 02-01-2009, 02:55 PM
Glockem45
Elder User
Thumbs up

Did you sand down your frame yourself and then paint it also, or did you have a company do it for you?

It looks good by the way. Could you post some more pictures of the frame?

Old 02-01-2009, 03:52 PM
bigwin56f100
Lead Driver
Received 835 Likes on 473 Posts
Not to sound like a smart a--. just reverse the terdown procedure to a reassembly procedure.

I would run brake lines, fuel line, drop in the engine and trans, then steering linkages.

THEN body parts.

Old 02-01-2009, 04:01 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Glockem45
Did you sand down your frame yourself and then paint it also, or did you have a company do it for you?

It looks good by the way. Could you post some more pictures of the frame?
HMMMMMMMM?

Yes, Mike, tell us (tee hee - I'm not letting you sneak back in here without the story) how did the priming and painting go? It looks pretty good!

Running gear now...axels, springs, brakes, and wheels. Then drive train - engine, tranny drive shaft; then body/bed; and finally wiring.

How was your visit with "Mr. Spray Gun?"

Julie

Old 02-01-2009, 04:05 PM
Glockem45
Elder User
Thumbs up

Well I am actually trying to figure out how to get down to the frame by removing everything. The order of removing stuff seems to be slightly challenging.

Old 02-01-2009, 05:07 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Well I am actually trying to figure out how to get down to the frame by removing everything. The order of removing stuff seems to be slightly challenging.
If your truck was put together by anyone a dumb as my PO, just drive it or tow it around and make notes as to what order it FALLS off.

Julie

Old 02-01-2009, 07:40 PM
jniolon
old and in the way
Received 713 Likes on 257 Posts
challenging ???? I drug mine home... parked it on the driveway and unscrewed or unbolted or torched off everything that could be removed...swept it up in a big pile then sorted thru it...

a.f.a. reassembly...that depends a lot on how you're going to build it...either repair/prep/paint the original suspension... both front and back then re-install it.

If you're replacing either .... prep it and paint then install it. Put some kind of wheels on it and shazam !! you have rolling stock.

Brake lines can be started at this point but if your m.c. is going to be cab/firewall mounted, you'll have to stop at the frame rail till the m.c. is mounted. But, all the lines can be run from that point to each corner, proportioning valve and brake light switches installed... clamp holes drilled and bolted in place. Use 3/16" lines (decision here... stainless steel or plain steel)

Fuel lines need a start/end point. At the front end you can start somewhere the center of the engine compartment (without the engine in place, final destination will have to wait) Run your lines down the frame rail to ..... where ??? is your tank going back in the cab or back behind the rearend between the frame rails ?? So I'd figure out the tank location.. mount it up and plumb the fuel lines (with inline filter if using one) 3/8" line wil work best here in most situations.

Wiring doesn't usually get done till cab is on frame... engine install is the same... you need the frame and radiator support in there for reference.

My next step would be to temporarily set the cab in place, slide the engine and transmission in the hole with a hoist and start lining up engine/trans. If you're using a different engine/trans/rear end you'll need to get your driveshaft made up and installed with engine/trans. This is where driveline phasing comes in. Installing engine...watch your clearances at the firewall and make sure you have room for a fan between water pump and radiator.. when you have it where you want it, tie it down with tie wire, clamps, jacks, 2x4s..whatever will secure it.. same for the transmission.

the driveline should be parallel with the frame rails no matter what amount your offset it (if you offset at all). When everything is in it's proper place... start fabbing up your engine mounts and transmission crossmember and mount points.

When you have the driveline all complete, there are several direction you could go.. mount the m.c. and finish the brake plumbing. If you haven't installed the tank out back.. mount it in the cab and finish the fuel lines.

From there it's body work... bed install.. other sheetmetal... wiring can fall in there somewhere... after some consideration to what electrical 'stuff' goes where... stereo, amps, frame wiring (lights, engine wiring, etc)

I'm tired of writing.... when you finish all this come back and ask some more

there are several 'sub' parts that can be discussed... brake plumbing, engine alignment, wiring, etc....I've totally ignored about 652 decision points that you will hit along the way... You didn't give us much info... do you have a plan yet on the finished truck ??? now is when you should put it all together on paper... it's your map to the finish

There's lots of good tech info here and just waiting on a search to show up...

hope that helps

later
John

Old 02-03-2009, 02:50 PM
19fifty4
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
(tee hee - I'm not letting you sneak back in here without the story) how did the priming and painting go?
You caught me. Embarrassed to admit that that I did not spray it. I needed to get it primed and I just could not get the weather to cooperate. It was either cold and very damp or just very cold. I got the Rustoleum and brushed it on and used the rattle can in those hard to reach areas. I let it harden for a week, flipped it over and did the other side. Repeated the process for the black topcoat. There was nothing quick about it but I am satisfied with the coverage and it looks pretty good. I still have the spray equipment and am looking forward to using it but by the time I get to the next paint project it should be significantly warmer.
><O></O>
I appreciate all the suggestions on next steps. It requires a great deal more thought than disassembly. That was just a matter of taking stuff off until there was nothing left. Now it seems like decisions, decisions. I want the truck to have a mostly stock appearance. Primarily because I like the original look but I think it might be easier and less expensive to reconstruct. While this may not be true, I’m under that impression and part of the value of this forum is learning fact from fiction. Feel free to set me straight.
<O></O>
So I’m after a stock appearance but would like to upgrade to front disk brakes, maybe swap the y block for a flathead. This is where it gets complicated for me. The toe bone, is connected to the foot bone is connected to the ankle bone, is connected to the leg bone, etc. etc. I have a hard time figuring out how the implications of a decision reverberate through the rest of the build. While I’m not quite ready to do the brakes I suspect that those changes might impact how the front end goes together as far as stock components or aftermarket items, you know...axles, springs, etc. That’s why I’m looking at the bare frame long after the paint has dried.
<O></O>
I enjoy getting my hands dirty and seeing something come to life but this part makes my head hurt.
<O></O>
Thanks for all the support & guidance.

I had a guy sandblast the frame for me. Cost me $200. $ well spent in my opinion.

Old 02-03-2009, 03:24 PM
low54
Elder User
start building to a rolling chassy...reverse tear down/build-up have fun

Old 02-03-2009, 05:59 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Hi Mike,

Don't feel all alone in the implications department. This is my third restoration and I've made some bone headed mistakes that have impacted what I want to do now too. For example, I spent $1700 on headers to solve my exhaust problem and after they were done th eTCI Mustang II front end I had bought couldn't be installed. I sold it ok - but lost $300 on it. It happens to everyone and NO ONE IS PERFECT!

Here is a suggestion: Do two things. Read the threads as they come up on the systems you would like to put on your truck. Familiarize yourself with the "does and don't/cans and can'ts" of mixing certain things.

Also, go on e-bay/online and look at the pictures of all the trucks of your year (and the similar years) and look at the features you like in the pictures - and save those pictures in a file.

When you feel like you have a pretty good collection of stuff, write it all down and flow out a "Plan for the parts you want, where to get them, what tools or expertise it will take, and the cost. Now, some of this stuff has to be done in a certain order.

After you get the "this is what I want my truck to have and be like when it is finished" plan done, come back on here and start a thread and post all this stuff. Then people will jump on with their experiences about it and their lessons learned and really help you out. And, take one step at a time...Plan those steps out and focus on the one you are working on. If you talk to people here, you will know how to do it to support the next step - and pretty soon the thing is done.

OBTW that was great improv on the painting! It looks great and will be fine!

Have fun and write anytime,
Julie!!!!!!!

Old 02-03-2009, 06:18 PM
jniolon
old and in the way
Received 713 Likes on 257 Posts
Mike,

stock looking with some modern upgrades.... good plan. It's also an easier way to go than either complete restoration or dark side rod.

Most everything you'll need is available in magazines and catalogs and all the wondering "will it work" is done. Have you started reading Classic Truck and CustomClassic Truck ?? good source for info on aftermarket add-on and upgrades and the vendors all advertise in those mags... the regular street rod magazines will have generic stuff but don't really lean toward trucks. Truck Builder is another nice one but is really heavy on high $$$ show builds. But what am I saying... you found the best place for info right here !!! Get you a bunch of catalogs and compare features/prices of aftermarket stuff you want to upgrade. If you have more questions, hit the forum.

Disk Brakes ??? several options... Flatty for a Y-block (well, personally I'd stick with the Y-block...strong engine). I'm not a flathead guy so I don't know if automatic trans is adaptable to a flathead bell housing...lots of us old guys like automatic...we ran thru the gears for years and now it's about comfort and ease...

I'd also look at upgrades to rear suspension and gear ratios... higher gear for better cruisin and lower engine rpms. Purdy wheels ??? lots of choices but smoothies with rings look sharp on an old truck. Don't just look in the 48-60 forum... venture out into the others... suspension, engines, paint, etc all have a seperate forum and those guys are just as friendly and helpful as this bunch of misfits (but not as pretty or as smart).

Julie told you right... put your plan down on paper... calculate/estimate your costs. follow your plan... it will be cheaper that way. I have a friend/guru builder that has helped me so much so far... A wise saying he taught me and it's proved true several times... "If you change ONE thing... it will change three more things" But, all of us have done it before... I really don't think there are any more original mistakes.

One thing we all have in common...We're all crazy. But one important thing in common we have is the desire to help each other... youz is one of us now.

Might help might hinder but read this for some insight...

http://jniolon.clubfte.com/Trialsofa...mebuilder.html

and a sticky at the top of the forum "help for all your newbies"

good luck and post lots of pictures...

later
John