2009 - 2014 F150 Discuss the 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford F150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

Disabling traction control

Old 02-13-2009, 09:40 PM
GF7PE
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i forgot this issue too. Lets say you are turning to the left on a snow or ice covered surface. The *** end starts to kick out, the tc comes on and applies the brake to the right front tire to straighten it out. what has happened to me a few times this year in the same spot is that it ends up locking the tire and you slide into the snow bank. its avoidable if you are expecting it but once the brake is applied and its slippery enough you just have to wait it out. No amount of throttle will help because the tc wont let the tires spin

Old 02-14-2009, 12:11 AM
Saleenguy
Postmaster
Originally Posted by GF7PE
i forgot this issue too. Lets say you are turning to the left on a snow or ice covered surface. The *** end starts to kick out, the tc comes on and applies the brake to the right front tire to straighten it out. what has happened to me a few times this year in the same spot is that it ends up locking the tire and you slide into the snow bank. its avoidable if you are expecting it but once the brake is applied and its slippery enough you just have to wait it out. No amount of throttle will help because the tc wont let the tires spin

I would soon be snipping wires, or whatever I had to do, to disable it if it was my truck.

The electronics nowadays go to far, and no longer allow us drives control.

Old 02-14-2009, 02:43 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
does anybody know if the TC is based on the trim line? Like a Lariat or higher gets it, but a FX4 or lower doesn't?

Or is it just a 09+ thing now and you are stuck with it on all the models?

I cannot stand TC...it isn't quite a deal breaker, but certainly a consideration when picking models. Sometimes I wanna do something stupid, and I cannot stand electronic nannies saying no.
Originally Posted by ChargersFanInCO
Shouldn't have to buy a tuner though....TC sounds like BS on the 09's.
I agree, but like I said, guys have been doing it for 8/9 yrs now in the Mustang crowd. Sucks, but alot of people can't handle their vehicle and want more safety measures.

TC is downright dangerous at times...several times when mine damn near got me hit by another car

Old 02-14-2009, 06:19 AM
GF7PE
New User
I hear ya. Almost got hit today. Mine is an xlt and I cant find the window sticker to see if it was an option. Tires are 235's so that might have a lot to do with it. Its a company truck so I cant justify spending the money on a truck that truely isnt mine.

Old 02-14-2009, 09:53 AM
Saleenguy
Postmaster
Originally Posted by GF7PE
I hear ya. Almost got hit today. Mine is an xlt and I cant find the window sticker to see if it was an option. Tires are 235's so that might have a lot to do with it. Its a company truck so I cant justify spending the money on a truck that truely isnt mine.

Wow I did not realize they went to narrower tires for 09.

My 07 came stock with 255/70-17's
I put 285's on it later on.

I am sure their is a way to disable the nanny TC....even if it means killing the power to it somehow.
All vehicles need to be able to spin at times, and especially a 4x4 truck.

Isn't that the point of a truck is to haul crap and go offroad?
If not then whey don't we all drive mini vans instead?

Old 02-14-2009, 11:52 AM
JAC4X4
Junior User
does the 08s not have the traction control??

Here is what the user manual says
Switching Off AdvanceTrac_ with RSC_<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
If the vehicle is stuck in snow, mud or sand, and seems to lose engine<o></o>
power, switching off certain features of the AdvanceTrac_ with RSC_<o></o>
system may be beneficial because the wheels are allowed to spin. This<o></o>
will restore full engine power and will enhance momentum through the<o></o>
obstacle. To switch off the AdvanceTrac_ with RSC_ system press the<o></o>
AdvanceTrac_ with RSC_ _Off_ button. Full features of the AdvanceTrac_<o></o>
with RSC_ system can be restored by pressing the AdvanceTrac_ with<o></o>
RSC_ _Off_ button again or by turning off and restarting the engine.<o></o>
If you switch off the AdvanceTrac_ with RSC_ system, the sliding car_<o></o>
icon will illuminate steadily. Pressing the AdvanceTrac_ with RSC_<o></o>
_Off_ button again will turn off the _sliding car_ icon .<o></o>
In R (Reverse), ABS and the Engine and Brake Traction Control features<o></o>
will continue to function; however, ESC and RSC_ are disabled.<o></o>

There is also a table that says if you press the button momentarily it only shuts off traction control but RSC and ESC are still on. If you are going less that 35mph and hold the button for 5 seconds it turns off traction control, RSC, and ESC. If you are going faster than 35mph and hold the button for 5 seconds it on turns off traction control.

Old 02-14-2009, 02:44 PM
BLK94F150
Postmaster
This may be a bit of a hijcack, but do the 06+ Explorers have this and can it be turned off?

Mike

Old 02-14-2009, 06:51 PM
ChargersFanInCO
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by JAC4X4
does the 08s not have the traction control??
No they most surely do NOT. That's why most people avoid the first year of a new series; silly changes.

Old 02-14-2009, 08:07 PM
clearnetedm
Junior User
It seems odd that the manual indicates this can be disabled but yet some say it doesn't disable when following the steps. Perhaps that is a manufacture or production problem and not by design. I have this system in our 08 Expy and it turns off and on via the button and I've confirmed as we too can have times of deep snow and benefit with it off.

Old 02-14-2009, 08:22 PM
pkvir
Senior User
Originally Posted by clearnetedm
It seems odd that the manual indicates this can be disabled but yet some say it doesn't disable when following the steps. Perhaps that is a manufacture or production problem and not by design. I have this system in our 08 Expy and it turns off and on via the button and I've confirmed as we too can have times of deep snow and benefit with it off.
I hope this is the case and they fix it with a TSB

Old 02-15-2009, 11:10 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 664 Likes on 435 Posts
No they most surely do NOT. That's why most people avoid the first year of a new series; silly changes.
They most certainly DO!!!!!

Originally Posted by 2007 MY specs
Four-wheel, vented-disc, anti-lock brakes are standard. F-150 4x2 V-8 models can be ordered with Traction Assist to improve acceleration and stability on slippery surfaces.
Was an option on 2wd trucks ever since 2007.

Also, just my opinion here, I think people are getting worked up over nothing. I had an '05 Mustang with TCS, and I loved it! Try as I could, I could NOT get the rear end to come around on ice with it engaged. Push a button, and she'd spin until you were dizzy. On my Mustang, it was very capable of being disengaged. It also had the capability of pulsing the brakes on a spinning wheel to act like an LSD. Sometimes that alone would get me out of being stuck...other times I disengaged the TCS and let 'er spin and it walked right out. I had that car through several northern NY winters, and it was great in the snow. All I had to do was push the button if I wanted to start acting like a fool...it was GREAT!

These electronic "nannies" do wonders for vehicle stability, and most of the time are capable of being disengaged.

Old 02-15-2009, 11:38 AM
ChargersFanInCO
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Crazy001
They most certainly DO!!!!!

We were discussing 4X4's in the snow as far as I knew. I don't believe in 2wd trucks, at all, so the TC on the 4X2 never came to mind. 4X2 is like alcohol-free beer in my mind.

Was an option on 2wd trucks ever since 2007.

Also, just my opinion here, I think people are getting worked up over nothing. I had an '05 Mustang with TCS, and I loved it! Try as I could, I could NOT get the rear end to come around on ice with it engaged. Push a button, and she'd spin until you were dizzy. On my Mustang, it was very capable of being disengaged. It also had the capability of pulsing the brakes on a spinning wheel to act like an LSD. Sometimes that alone would get me out of being stuck...other times I disengaged the TCS and let 'er spin and it walked right out. I had that car through several northern NY winters, and it was great in the snow. All I had to do was push the button if I wanted to start acting like a fool...it was GREAT!

It's NOT disengaging when they push the button. Go back up and read it. My Fusion will turn off when I push the button, and it's a good thing because it won't go ANYWHERE in the snow with it on.

These electronic "nannies" do wonders for vehicle stability, and most of the time are capable of being disengaged.
See my comments thrown about in yours.

Old 02-15-2009, 11:42 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 664 Likes on 435 Posts
I completely agree with you on 4x4 trucks...I was just pointing out that TCS has been done before.

I thought the issue with it not shutting off was addressed here:

Originally Posted by JAC4X4
Here is what the user manual says
Switching Off AdvanceTrac_ with RSC_>>
If the vehicle is stuck in snow, mud or sand, and seems to lose engine>>
power, switching off certain features of the AdvanceTrac_ with RSC_>>
system may be beneficial because the wheels are allowed to spin. This>>
will restore full engine power and will enhance momentum through the>>
obstacle. To switch off the AdvanceTrac_ with RSC_ system press the>>
AdvanceTrac_ with RSC_ _Off_ button. Full features of the AdvanceTrac_>>
with RSC_ system can be restored by pressing the AdvanceTrac_ with>>
RSC_ _Off_ button again or by turning off and restarting the engine.>>
If you switch off the AdvanceTrac_ with RSC_ system, the sliding car_>>
icon will illuminate steadily. Pressing the AdvanceTrac_ with RSC_>>
_Off_ button again will turn off the _sliding car_ icon .>>
In R (Reverse), ABS and the Engine and Brake Traction Control features>>
will continue to function; however, ESC and RSC_ are disabled.>>

There is also a table that says if you press the button momentarily it only shuts off traction control but RSC and ESC are still on. If you are going less that 35mph and hold the button for 5 seconds it turns off traction control, RSC, and ESC. If you are going faster than 35mph and hold the button for 5 seconds it on turns off traction control.

Old 02-15-2009, 03:03 PM
ChargersFanInCO
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Crazy001
I completely agree with you on 4x4 trucks...I was just pointing out that TCS has been done before.

I thought the issue with it not shutting off was addressed here:
Naw man, they say it still ain't workin'. That would scare the hell out of me having a 40k+ 4X4 that can't get out of some snow! Especially up here in Northern Colorado where they don't plow the side streets. Same thing would happen in loose dirt or mud I'd imagine. I'd be snipping wires like the guy above mentioned. There HAS to be a way to bypass it.

I blew by one up in the mountains on a FSR in an open differentialed work van (E250) and when I came back down dude was still stuck. He was the first one to tell me that the button didn't work. That has got to be embarrassing, getting passed by an overloaded van going sideways in the snow.

Old 02-15-2009, 03:49 PM
Saleenguy
Postmaster
Naw man, they say it still ain't workin'. That would scare the hell out of me having a 40k+ 4X4 that can't get out of some snow! Especially up here in Northern Colorado where they don't plow the side streets. Same thing would happen in loose dirt or mud I'd imagine. I'd be snipping wires like the guy above mentioned. There HAS to be a way to bypass it.

I blew by one up in the mountains on a FSR in an open differentialed work van (E250) and when I came back down dude was still stuck. He was the first one to tell me that the button didn't work. That has got to be embarrassing, getting passed by an overloaded van going sideways in the snow.
That would be a bad time to find out it does not work for sure.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Disabling traction control