2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

Enginge/Fan whining at start on cold days

Old 01-30-2009, 10:26 PM
FX4 Fighter Pilot
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Enginge/Fan whining at start on cold days

Anyone having a whining noise coming from the front of the engine when starting the engine after the vehicle has been sitting through a cold night?

When it's about 30 or below and I start my wife's EXP, it makes a whining noise which sounds like it's either from the fan or belt...can't pinpoint. Of course while the dealer was attempting to fix my frozen rear a/c evaporator coil I had them take a look at it, the could not duplicate it. Then the morning after getting it back...it happens again...and again.

Any thoughts?

Old 01-31-2009, 10:58 PM
cjgeorge32
Junior User
Same thing happens to my 2007 EL after a cold night...Does not bother me...goes away pretty quick...

Old 01-31-2009, 11:28 PM
threefiftyone
Elder User
YAR! It comes and goes on ours too. When I finally find time to look at it, I can't duplicate it. Mine sounds like a belt or sort at higher RPM. Maybe someone will give us an answer

Old 02-01-2009, 01:11 AM
FX4 Fighter Pilot
Freshman User
I wish someone would....I'm sick of things being wrong on my 08 EXP!!! I tried to capture it today, but it was 40 degs before I started it and of course, no whine!

Old 02-03-2009, 07:44 PM
waneck
New User
happens to me too, only when it is very cold the night before. The last time it did it i used the wooden dowel trick....while the truck is making the bearing squeal noise, touch a wooden dowel to the base of each pulley...ie alternator, tensioner, ac unit, etc. and put your ear on the end of the dowel...you will notice a distinct different noise when you touch the right one.

anyway, i did this the other day and i think i pinpointed it to the a/c unit making the noise. so i am gonna try to force the dealer to change the a/c bearing/clutch assembly under warrantee. i might take a quick video on my cell phone to prove to the dealer that it is making the noise. i'll let you know how i do. and if anyone else finds that it is the a/c unit bearing let me know....thanks

Old 02-03-2009, 10:38 PM
FX4 Fighter Pilot
Freshman User
Good luck and be sure to let us know what the dealership says

Old 02-04-2009, 12:30 AM
IQ9
Senior User
I have the same issue and they had it for 3 days and I was told she never did it. It sounds like an idler pully bearing but if it is the a/c unit. I really need to get it fixed as this is not something I want to eat when she's out of warr.

Old 02-04-2009, 09:04 PM
waneck
New User
found this on a mustang (same 3V 5.4) forum...sounds like it may be the problem, only strange thing is that my expeditions build date is 04/08, and this tsb was only for vehicles built before 01/08...

TSB 08-4-2 COLD START FEAD HOOT - WHISTLE NOISE / BUILT BEFORE 1/28/2008

Publication Date: February 7, 2008

FORD: 2007-2008 Mustang, Expedition, Explorer Sport Trac, Explorer, F-150

ISSUE:
Some 2007-2008 F-150, Mustang vehicles equipped with a 4.6L and 5.4L engine, Explorer, Explorer Sport Trac vehicles with 4.6L engine and built before 1/28/08, may exhibit a front end accessory drive (FEAD) related high-pitched metallic whistle/hoot noise after a cold soak in ambient temperatures below 40 °F (4.4 °C). This noise may be caused by the grooved nylon FEAD idler pulley.

ACTION:
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

NOTE: FEAD IDLER PULLEY NOISE MAY BE MOST APPARENT AT OR NEAR COLD ENGINE IDLE SPEEDS (APPROXIMATELY 1200 RPM). NOISE DURATION IS LESS THAN 10 MINUTES AFTER STARTUP AND WILL BE ELIMINATED WITH FEAD BELT REMOVED.

Replace the nylon FEAD idler pulley, refer to Workshop Manual, Section 303-05.

PART NUMBER PART NAME
6L3Z-6C348-A Idler Pulley

WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT: Warranty coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part.

Old 02-04-2009, 10:44 PM
FX4 Fighter Pilot
Freshman User
mine has a build date of 2/08 so it looks like they didn't fix the problem. This sounds exactly like what my EXP does. I'm going to try to see what they say about this TSB and my vehicle tomorrow.

Thanks waneck.

Now if they could just stop my A/C evaporator coil from freezing, I'd be set!

Old 02-06-2009, 06:33 PM
hjsimpson
Senior User
Add another one to the growing list.

I didn't notice it last winter but the whistling is definitely prevalent this year.

NE temps have been pretty erratic and the last few nights/mornings have been around 10 degrees, hear it as soon as I started the expy this morning.

Old 02-06-2009, 10:49 PM
FX4 Fighter Pilot
Freshman User
I went to the dealership today and had them inspect the pulley that was on the TSB. It talks about some nylon on the idler pulley. My service manager had the tech look it up some more and they said that the nylon covering had worn away which probably caused the squealing. The dealership could never duplicate it, but the TSB gave him enough info to order the pulley and it's being fixed next week.

one in favor for the good guys...finally!

Old 02-09-2009, 09:41 PM
waneck
New User
fx4...how did it go at the dealer?? did they fix it for you? I sent my wife to the dealer today and they told her that all fords do that when they're cold and not to worry about it....predictable dealer response. I didn't want her to get into it so i figure i will try it myself when i get the time. let me know...

Old 02-10-2009, 10:00 AM
FX4 Fighter Pilot
Freshman User
they replaced the idler pulley with part # 6L3Z-6C348-A per theTSB #08-4-2. It's been warm out here so I haven't heard the noise in a week or so, but they still replaced it. When the tech look at the vehicle, he really couldn't see much so he went to look at the manual. It says that there is some nylon coating on the pulley that gets worn out which causes the whining noise when it's cold. I think the TSB mentions less than 40 degs. Mine only made the noise when it was in the 20's. My build date is 2/08 which is after the 1/28/08 on the TSB and my dealer still replaced it. That may be because I'm still dealing with the BBB on a buy back for my AC evaporator and he didn't want to mess with me again on something that Ford has shown there is a problem. I also had a video of the noise, but he didn't ask to see it.

Any vehicle, especially a new one shouldn't make any abnormal noises at startup...the dealer is wrong on that. And it doesn't do that on all Fords...My F-250 has never made a noise like that!

Old 02-10-2009, 10:26 AM
berry1234
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by waneck
fx4...how did it go at the dealer?? did they fix it for you? I sent my wife to the dealer today and they told her that all fords do that when they're cold and not to worry about it....predictable dealer response. I didn't want her to get into it so i figure i will try it myself when i get the time. let me know...
My favorite two responses from techs- We couldn't duplicate the problem and We drove another one on the lot and it does the same thing so it's the design.

Old 02-23-2009, 10:04 PM
gddyup
Senior User
My 07 also has a slight "whistle" on cold mornings. I thought it might just be the typical Ford PS pump racket that 7 out of 10 Fords make. I'll have to take a gander at the pulley and pull the TSB for some more info.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Enginge/Fan whining at start on cold days