Arizona Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

Touching up the paint for cheap?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 12:17 PM
PilotRob
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Touching up the paint for cheap?

I figured I'd start with the home team for this one since we all have oven-roasted trucks.

My hood has been chipping paint for the last 7 years. It started shortly after I added the bug shield, and now it just looks bad. I'd like to repaint the entire truck, but with me flying airplanes and my wife being a teacher, now is NOT the time to spend anything extra, since we could both be unemployed by the end of the year.

So ... what are my cheap options? It doesn't have to look great, just needs to cover up the metal. Should I grab a can of appliance-type spray paint, or would that be a bad idea?

Old 02-11-2009, 06:43 PM
helifixer
Lead Driver
Received 3,657 Likes on 1,127 Posts
no friends who are painters? not that I can talk my last painter friend doesn't paint anymore.
maybe a cheep hvlp from harbor freight and have a paint shop mix you up a quart of paint and only paint the hood than you don't have to blend.

Old 02-11-2009, 11:27 PM
UP_There
Lead Driver
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Maybe BillW will chime in.....he is a painter ya know. A house painter....but probably has a little more insight then we do!

Old 02-11-2009, 11:28 PM
kermmydog
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How big of area Rob? You can get custom paint colors mixed & put into spray cans. Check out some paint stores. Ones that do auto paints. I found a store in Cottonwood that would do that. I forget the price but it was much cheaper than to pay a shop to paint it. I would feather out the edges wipe with lacquer thinner put a coat of primer & fine sand & wipe with thinner & spray on the color. If it is bright white you can & I have used just a Krylon spray paint. I had a good dent in the side of a pickup bed on my 79 CK20 4x4 & I tool out the dent bondo it & spray painted it as I mentioned.
Craig

Old 02-12-2009, 07:40 AM
AzBlueWolf
Post Fiend
you gotta prep before you paint or it will just peel again...

country club and broadway has a paint supply (auto) that will mix and put in a sprayer for about $15 a can.

on the other side...Maaco could prolly paint the hood for about $150

I know a few guys that are mobile painters, they come to your home and paint...they prolly get about $150 also

Old 02-12-2009, 10:15 AM
PilotRob
Elder User
Thanks for the info. I'll have to check out the place Mark mentioned. I need to stick with cheap for now.

My hope is that my wife and I still have our jobs later this year and I can repaint the entire thing. The white w/blue is nice, but it's also pretty close to the old white w/blue and red that was on the Ford racing team in the 90s. That's what I really want.

Old 02-12-2009, 01:11 PM
bigunred
Elder User
Ive had great luck with the color matchin paint at wal mart. just a littel featherin and some clear in a can with some rubbin compound after and viola good as new

Old 02-16-2009, 06:04 PM
Bill W
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Mark is right, you can buy whats called a preval unit, they work really good for what they are, i use them from time to time for painting model airplanes, they will spray thin paints, look for a pint of touch up paint at the store Mark suggested to match you truck. If you are down to the metal you will need to prime the area first, using automotive type primer, sanding between coats till your around 400 grit then you can apply the finish coats of paint, area has to be really clean, Mask off any area you do not want paint on. do it on a day that is not windy and not in direct sunlight.

Old 02-16-2009, 09:28 PM
racoonbandit
Senior User
Rattle can of cheap *** primer. Thats what I use!

Old 02-16-2009, 09:36 PM
AzBlueWolf
Post Fiend
he wants it to last longer than the next rain...

Old 02-16-2009, 10:27 PM
racoonbandit
Senior User
SOORRY Blue Wolf. I forgot we live in the Pacific Northwest where it rains every other day. No wait my address says AZ. I must live in Arizona!! Yes I do.... I think I can remember that it really doesn't get that wet here. Huh?

Old 02-17-2009, 06:06 AM
AzBlueWolf
Post Fiend
its raining again here...did you bring it?