efi for a 460

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 07:03 PM
mjol
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
efi for a 460

Hello everyone, I am new to your forum, I have a 25' class c motor home on an E 350 chassis with a 460 that has a holley on it, I would like to consider converting to efi, what is the easiest, factory set up to use? I would like to use everything off one doner vehicle. I would also consider an od trans, again, what is best to look for... Thank everyone in advance, Mike

Old 02-02-2009, 11:29 AM
mcdonaldm
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
the easiest way is to find a 88 or newer 3/4 or 1 ton Ford Truck that is either a write off or salvage vehicle and use its drivetrain, computer and wiring harness for your motorhome. the intake manifold, exhaust manifolds and heads are differnet between the carb and efi engines and must be swapped as a complete set up to work. also the overdrive behind the efi 460's are electronic and need a computer to work.

there is a lot involved to convert to efi as you will need the complete wiring harness form the donor vehicle aong with computer and graft it into the wiring harness of your vehicle. get a good service manual with complete wiring harness for both your vehicle and the donor vehicle and you will have to splice the correct wires and computer into your vehicle.

you will also need a hi-pressure electric fuel pump to supply the correct pressure to the fuel rail along with a return line to the fuel tank. you might be able to use the fuel tank from the donor vehicle with its built in fuel pump if it will fit.

in the long run, unless you are really good with wiring and stuff or are really attached to your current motorhome, it might be cheaper just to sale it and buy a newer motorhome with the efi engine already.

other option is to use a fuel injection kit from either Holley or one of the other aftermarket vendors and install it on your engine. not really cheap, but might be easier then rewiring your vehicle.

rgds
Mike

Old 02-03-2009, 11:08 AM
Fezziwig
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Holley has a 2 bbl TBI kit that's been recommended to me. It's about $1100, plus a couple hundred for incidentals.