Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > Western Region > California, Southern Chapter
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

California, Southern Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: wpnaes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-29-2009, 10:41 AM
New User
Garage is empty, add now

WideFord is starting off with a positive reputation.
wheel bearings

i think my right wheel bearing is going out. but these were just replace about 10k miles ago. anyone else having this problem. I know what a bad wheel bearing sounds like and my truck is making that sound. could it be anything else.

anyway thought i would pick your brains for a bit
Old 01-29-2009, 11:35 AM
Too old to be too smart
2000 Ford F-350

SpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputation
Dragging brake pads?

How much offset do you have to your rims from stock? The increased offset will contribute to early bearing demise.

Pop
Email SpringerPop SpringerPop's F-350
Old 01-29-2009, 11:39 AM
2 bit Californian
2006 Ford F-250

bpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputation
Bill Pounds
Locking hub spindle bearings???

Maybe a U-joint, but they usually sound different.

2006 F250 XLT SCLB FX4 4x4 6.0L Auto,Magnaflow Turbo Back (w/CAT),Edge Insight CS,Blue Spring,RhinoLiner,Retrax Cover,Cab Lights Retro-fit,Overhead Console Retro-fit,Bilsteins,Harpooned,C-Betrs,Fumoto,'08 Diff Cover,Upfitters Retro-fit,Coolant Filter,Custom Man Steps,Keystone 2011 Cougar 278RKSWE,2012 Fusion SE
Old 01-29-2009, 11:44 AM
FTE Administrator
2006 Ford F-250
My Garage

SteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputation
Does it sound the same when you are cornering as it does when you are going straight down the road?
Join our Chapter *HERE*
9/21/54 - 9/25/09
Old 01-29-2009, 12:17 PM
Posting Guru
Garage is empty, add now

Serg450 has a very good reputation on FTE.Serg450 has a very good reputation on FTE.Serg450 has a very good reputation on FTE.
thats funny, ask a question and get more questions than answers.

Serg. SoCal

2000 F-350 LARIAT CC 4X4 V-10
2008 Wrangler Unlimited X 4X4
Old 01-29-2009, 12:32 PM
Too old to be too smart
2000 Ford F-350

SpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpounds View Post
Locking hub spindle bearings???

Maybe a U-joint, but they usually sound different.
You're right, Bill. The hub locks themselves have a bearing inside that needs to be occasionally serviced. This one should have been well-lubed when the hub was replaced:
Welcome to guzzle's 4x4 Needle Bearing Maintenance Web Page

but this one wasn't serviced at all
Welcome to guzzle's 4x4 Autolock Hub Lubrication Maintenance Web Page

Something to try...

Pop
Old 01-29-2009, 12:33 PM
Too old to be too smart
2000 Ford F-350

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBricks View Post
Does it sound the same when you are cornering as it does when you are going straight down the road?
Does it sound the same with the hub locks engaged as when not?

Pop
Old 01-29-2009, 01:36 PM
Post Fiend
1973 Ford F-100
My Garage

75F350 is a name known to all75F350 is a name known to all75F350 is a name known to all75F350 is a name known to all75F350 is a name known to all75F350 is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringerPop View Post
You're right, Bill. The hub locks themselves have a bearing inside that needs to be occasionally serviced. This one should have been well-lubed when the hub was replaced:
Welcome to guzzle's 4x4 Needle Bearing Maintenance Web Page

but this one wasn't serviced at all
Welcome to guzzle's 4x4 Autolock Hub Lubrication Maintenance Web Page

Something to try...

Pop

There it is, The needle bearings are often overlooked, and will make some noise. They should have been replaced when the unit bearings were done. Be carefull with the o-ring type seal that wil cause some troubles with the ESOF if the truck is equiped.
Old 01-29-2009, 02:14 PM
New User
Garage is empty, add now

it only makes the sound when i turn left. and the sound seems to come from the right front tire. My 4x4 is tough to disenguage. i have to wait a while for it to fully come off. i do not know how much offset is in the rims. i bought the truck like this. the truck only has 42k on the clock i doubt the wheel bearings should have went out twice already. is there a grease fitting for it that i can just lub up real quick. i dont want to pull those tires off. lol..

thanks for the help guys and keep the info coming
Old 01-29-2009, 02:19 PM
FTE Administrator
2006 Ford F-250
My Garage

SteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputation
I hate to tell you this Tony, but you'll have to pull that wheel to grease anything that has to do with bearings. Sounds like the problem needs to be addressed anyway - it won't get any better, and you don't want a failure to leave you stuck somewhere.
Join our Chapter *HERE*
9/21/54 - 9/25/09
Old 01-29-2009, 02:32 PM
2 bit Californian
2006 Ford F-250

bpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputation
Bill Pounds
You cannot grease the wheel bearings, they are permanently sealed. According to that link Marv posted, you can clean and lube the locking hub needle bearings without removing the wheel.

Because it only does it turning one way, kind of sounds like it would be brake related. Sticky pins in the caliper come to mind as a common problem.

2006 F250 XLT SCLB FX4 4x4 6.0L Auto,Magnaflow Turbo Back (w/CAT),Edge Insight CS,Blue Spring,RhinoLiner,Retrax Cover,Cab Lights Retro-fit,Overhead Console Retro-fit,Bilsteins,Harpooned,C-Betrs,Fumoto,'08 Diff Cover,Upfitters Retro-fit,Coolant Filter,Custom Man Steps,Keystone 2011 Cougar 278RKSWE,2012 Fusion SE
Old 01-29-2009, 02:41 PM
New User
Garage is empty, add now

well i think it is about time for a brake job anyway. i guess i will have to take a look at the bearings and all the jazz while i have the wheels off.

On another note i am having a superbowl party at my place on sunday if anyone is in my neighboorhood feel free to drop by for some beers.
Old 01-29-2009, 02:41 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > Western Region > California, Southern Chapter

Tags
bearings, wheel