Ohio Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: RUNVS

Enough Already

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 12:12 AM
slappysdump
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Enough Already

Well I don't know about anyone else but I've had enough snow for one day. I plowed for nine hours yesterday. I'm surprised I only used 3/4 of a tank of gas in the old F-350 though. Truck ran like a champ--except for the exhaust manifold ticking like a bomb, but the Sirius radio does a good job of helping me not hear it. One of these days I need to fix that. Anyhow we got at least a foot of snow in Ashtabula--I've got piles about eight feet tall. If we get much more I'm gonna have to get a loader to start stacking it higher. Oh well spring is only two months away...

Old 01-29-2009, 08:01 AM
bmuhlbach
Cargo Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I HAVE 4 FOOT PILES Im remember back in the 70;s it would snow like this and not melt for weeks .We had the coolest snow forts.Except for this year it would snow and melt within a week.Doesn't seem like I want to play in it any more. LOL

Old 01-29-2009, 08:18 AM
Freightrain
Lead Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Ya, had enough of this crap already. Back in 70's you'd built forts UNDER the snow it was thick. It sure was fun back then(not so much now).

Hey, what's a couple more MONTHS of this?

Be nice to just have a few nice days of 40 deg air for ONCE! We're spoiled from the last few years where we didn't get squat for snow. Payback time.

Old 01-29-2009, 08:26 AM
garypettengill
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yea, it's easy to get used to milder winters. Here, North of Dayton, I got about 6" of snow on top of 2" of ice and snow from the day before. They have closed Wright Patterson AFB for 2 days now but that doesn't affect me, I'm considered mission essential and get/have to go to work anyway. Oh well, it's a paycheck so I'll not complain. We got a snowplow through the neighborhood this morning, doesn't appear to have accomplished much. Trash man made it, day late. Wonder of the mail man will make it today? He tried yesterday but gave it up, turned around, and went back to the barn.

Old 01-29-2009, 09:42 AM
WALFORD'S 56
Postmaster
Ashtabula actually sent folks home at 2 yesterday. The wife came home and helped me plow. I did all the neighbors and ours .
I should have stayed in Florida.....LOL
Going back in 2 weeks. I hope the snow piles melt some.....hard to see over them.
Slappysdump---you ought to be selling alot of booze....HAHA!!
Bill

Old 01-29-2009, 10:17 AM
dave boley
Posting Guru
Here in SE Ohio we got freezing rain and ice starting Wesnesday night. Yesterday there were about 7,000 customers without electricity. As yesterday progressed we got a few inches of snow on top on the ice. I have trees bent to the ground out back because of the weight of the ice and snow. Personally I would have rather had 6" of snow as opposed to the freezing rain and ice we got. We spent most of yesterday before the snow getting the half inch of ice off the driveway and two vehicles. We didn't want to go anywhere but we thought we should have the stuff ready to go if we had some emergency. After the snow went through we were back out there again shoveling that off.

We were luckier than most with the electricity. We were only off for around six hours. It gave the generator a good work out. I love and hate that thing. It's great to have power but a hate hearing it drone away all day and it's a gas hog. It isn't big enough to run stuff in the shop but it does keep the lights on and the power to the two gas furnaces.

Hopefully most others did as well or better than we did.

Later Folks...

Old 01-30-2009, 10:38 AM
WALFORD'S 56
Postmaster
Looks like the snow is back....and with a vengence!! About time to pack for heading south....hope the roads are plowed on the way....haha!!
Bill

Old 01-30-2009, 12:08 PM
bigwin56f100
Lead Driver
Received 835 Likes on 473 Posts
Its what makes NE Ohio great! My son and I plowed the drive (he loves the farmall), the girls and my wife snow boarded in the back. Its a lot of fun doing stuff with the kids on these snowy days. They were off school on Wednesday and my wife works at the high school so she was home too. We had a great snow day.

Lets hope for one or two more blasts before its over this year!

Old 01-31-2009, 01:13 PM
78bigbronco
Fleet Mechanic
Personally I like the winter... and around here in central ohio they dont really get what I call snow. I grew up in upstate NY and it wasnt uncommon to get several feet in a bad snow storm (even in just a day). Here about the worse I've ever witnessed is 1 foot in a two day long storm. And the temperature here keeps bouncing up so much it usually doesnt last more than a week or so. Back home the snow would start accumulating by the first of december and was usually there to stay until april. We just moved here this past year (was living in columbus) and its great being back in the country! I've gone crosscountry skiing around the neighbors fields, take my son sledding in back the house, make snow men etc. The only pain is the winter heating bills... my first experience with propane... ouch. Atleast we have a woodburner and use it as much as poss but wood here isnt as cheap either and does take a lot of manual labor but I love heating with the ol cast iron stove.

The driveway isnt too big - the biggest storm we got so far was earlier this past week, news reported 11" for Morrow county I think we were probably around 8" where we were at. Took about 1.5 hrs and only that long because of the previous warmup that melted the driveway into slush and then refroze into a skating rink. The cub was having a tough time slipping on the ice. Its becomming a hobby of mine with the old cubs they are kinda like ford is to trucks as cubs are to garden tractors (well unless your a green tractor kinda guy ). So far I just got a '75 129 hydro with a mowing deck and snow blade but hope to get another and set it up with a 3 point, plow, discs, dual ag tires or something like that and add in another huge garden.

The wifey took this pic the first time out with the snow blade - she thought I was actually 'working' And ignore the sloppy chain job - first time I'd done it and didnt know what I was doing and had to get some snow plowed. Will fix em when I get a chance.

Old 02-01-2009, 09:06 AM
bigwin56f100
Lead Driver
Received 835 Likes on 473 Posts
Hey Tristan, Nice cub cadet, they are getting to be collectors. I have a 1973 model 169. I love that tractor. I used to plow snow and mow with it. Now I only use it with the trac vac to do leaves.

Old 02-01-2009, 04:32 PM
78bigbronco
Fleet Mechanic
Thanks bigwin, and if you ever come across any accesories or cubbies for sale let me know. Looking for a good setup for the garden, need the cub 3 point or whatever they call it and the brinly adapter, brinly plow, discs, etc.

Old 02-02-2009, 07:45 AM
Freightrain
Lead Driver

Nice Cub. I had a '66 100 back in early 80's. Gave it away back in early 90's as it needed work($money$)-though it did run. Shoulda kept it, as I have room to tinker with it and would like to have a REAL tractor to mow with again. Really hate these plastic POS they have these days with all the "safety" shut offs and such. Who wants to disengage the deck, hold a lever, and twist the ignition key JUST to back up???? Aint got enough time in the day to do that very often!

Found a few websites that deal with Cub stuff, theres a fellow in Garrettsville that has a shop(The cub stop?). Might have to stop and check it out someday.

Old 02-02-2009, 09:23 AM
bmuhlbach
Cargo Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Nice Cub I like the old ones to I have a MF12 Massey Ferguson.All I have left for mine is the plow.Ive seen Cubs that are the same but yellow and white instead of red.

Old 02-02-2009, 11:10 AM
WALFORD'S 56
Postmaster
I like real tractors also. The pos with shut-off for mower blades,etc is a pain. I have 4 CASE tractors and a simplicity that was in our family since 62. I also have 2 plows and 2 mower decks and plow. I have a farmall cub in Florida with the woods mower and Dad loves to mow my ranch....It makes me feel good to see him out there mowing.
I plow with my case and ingersol plow and it works great. I had a few cub cadets and sold them. They are sturdy also.
The craftsman tractors won't do what these will. I move trucks with mine and actually pull loaded trailers too. Got to have some good tractors. Bill

Old 02-02-2009, 12:31 PM
Freightrain
Lead Driver

I got a POS old "Lawn Chief" that I got CHEAP. Got a great 12hp B/S motor, the rest is JUNK!! I'll keep using it til I find a good deal on another Cub. My '66 had cast iron EVERYTHING, solid steel frame(didn't flex in the middle like new junk does). Just another case of "never shoulda got rid of it".

Love to buy something "new", but keep looking at all the stupid safety crap and I walk away. Seen some really nice restored Cubs online, but just haven't got one, yet.

Quick Reply: Enough Already