6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Has anyone tried HHO?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 06:52 PM
go6.0go
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone tried HHO?

I was just wondering if anyone has HHO cell on their 6.0 diesel yet.

If so, does it work?

I'm thinking about putting it on my truck, but before I do, I'd like to know if anyone else has and if they may have ran into any problems in getting it to work poperly.

Can anyone help?

go6.0go

Old 01-28-2009, 09:04 PM
rcherry11
Senior User
I have a buddy that makes and sells them and last I hear he was getting 6mpg better during last summer. I don't think he uses it much now cause it can freeze (he uses a water vinegar mix)and that's the end of that. He has also said that each application that he has done it's been different the mpg is always changing probably different driving habbits from person to person not sure. If you would like to know more I could ask him if I could give you his number if so I'll just PM you

Old 01-29-2009, 07:24 AM
go6.0go
Freshman User
Originally Posted by rcherry11
I have a buddy that makes and sells them and last I hear he was getting 6mpg better during last summer. I don't think he uses it much now cause it can freeze (he uses a water vinegar mix)and that's the end of that. He has also said that each application that he has done it's been different the mpg is always changing probably different driving habbits from person to person not sure. If you would like to know more I could ask him if I could give you his number if so I'll just PM you
Actually, I have built 12 cells with a friend of mind, and I put only one on my wife's KIA. It seems to work well but as your friend has said the mpg does change. 3 to 9 mpg's are about the best I've seem from the KIA.

However, I was thinking about puting it on my 6.0 diesel when I ran across an HHO forum, and my friend and I joined it. I asked the same question, and man did I get an answer. My head is still reelling from all the stuff that you have to go through in order to get 2 to 3 mpg. All the electronic mods that you have to throw at it just to get the ECU or ECM to shut up. I don't know about others, but I'm not too willing to cut up my wiring harness, and cause a power failure or wire brake down just for 2 to 3 mpg's. Because, the little money I save at the pump will never pay for the cost of a new wiring harness and labor install.

Sorry about all that. If you don't mind would you ask you friend, and see if he had to go through some of this stuff and let me know. If he had to cut any wire to get it to work, I think I'll try and find some other way to save fuel.

Thanks for responding!!
go6.0go

Old 01-29-2009, 08:33 AM
powerman01
Freshman User
What you gain is highly debateable. A ton say it can not work because it takes more power to break the water down into HHO than when it burns in your engine. It is proven that the reaction is a negative reaction (takes more to break water down than when it forms in the burn of hho gasses). The people that say it works and somewhat know what they are talking about say that while it does take more to break down the water the gains come from a better burn of your diesel fuel.

I can clearly see why a better burn of the fuel will give a better MPG. The thing about diesels though is that there are other ways of getting that better burn. The most common way is to give your truck a shot of NOS (bigger injectors with stick turbo use NOS to clean up the smoke, ie: better burn of the fuel). Another way is to add a Hydrogen or propane system where you refil the tank with which ever gass you picked (hydrogen is not that common, probably on the same level as the HHO kits or a little higher). The last method that is being used on a larger scale is methane kits. They basically use a water methanol mixture that is sprayed right into the intake elbow.

If you are looking to gain some MPG's I would look into the water/meth kits first as there seems to be no downside with a ton of pluses (increased HP, better MPG, lower exhaust gas temps). After that I would really start to research propane and NOS kits and take a peek at hydrgoen kits while I was at it.

Old 01-29-2009, 08:40 AM
SteveBricks
FTE Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here's a monster thread on HHO - get a cup....make that a pot of coffee:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...on-thread.html

Old 01-29-2009, 08:50 AM
go6.0go
Freshman User
Originally Posted by powerman01
What you gain is highly debateable. A ton say it can not work because it takes more power to break the water down into HHO than when it burns in your engine. It is proven that the reaction is a negative reaction (takes more to break water down than when it forms in the burn of hho gasses). The people that say it works and somewhat know what they are talking about say that while it does take more to break down the water the gains come from a better burn of your diesel fuel.

I can clearly see why a better burn of the fuel will give a better MPG. The thing about diesels though is that there are other ways of getting that better burn. The most common way is to give your truck a shot of NOS (bigger injectors with stick turbo use NOS to clean up the smoke, ie: better burn of the fuel). Another way is to add a Hydrogen or propane system where you refil the tank with which ever gass you picked (hydrogen is not that common, probably on the same level as the HHO kits or a little higher). The last method that is being used on a larger scale is methane kits. They basically use a water methanol mixture that is sprayed right into the intake elbow.

If you are looking to gain some MPG's I would look into the water/meth kits first as there seems to be no downside with a ton of pluses (increased HP, better MPG, lower exhaust gas temps). After that I would really start to research propane and NOS kits and take a peek at hydrgoen kits while I was at it.
All those things sound good.

But expensive on NOS, Propane, HH, and W/Meth kits are very high. And you have to refill then over and over.

Being a retired Drag Racer NOS is very costly and doesn't last long.

W/Meth kit makes me wonder the long term. I know the water burns, I'm just wondering how much will remain in the engine.

Thanks for your reply, very interesting!
go6.0go

Old 01-29-2009, 08:58 AM
go6.0go
Freshman User
Originally Posted by SteveBricks
Here's a monster thread on HHO - get a cup....make that a pot of coffee:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...on-thread.html
Man, I'll say 4 pots of coffee. A lot of reads! LOL!

Thank for the info!

Old 01-29-2009, 09:37 AM
rcherry11
Senior User
go6.0go,
From what I'v seen he has a brick that is hooked up the the battery and there are some hoses coming off it one from the tank that holds the water vinegar mix (I guess the vinegar makes it easier to make hydrogen) and one that goes to the intake so really you are not using any more power then what your alternator is already making, and like I said he didn't cut into the wiring harness except to get keyed power everything is coming off battery I'll ask him if it would be ok to give you his number and you can call if you would like. It seems like he has it down I just don't have enof money at the time to get one plus I don't want it to freeze right now with the cold weather

Old 01-29-2009, 10:04 AM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I'll tell you guys up front, I'm not a fan of HHO kits.

With that being said, the idea of creating HHO from a jar of water has been around for well over 100 years. This is not a new concept. The biggest issue I have is people selling crappy kits for an extremely high price, and marketing this with extremely false claims, some have advertised well over 100% gain in mileage. It had really gotten out of hand. People are getting duped all the time.

NASA did experiments with HHO on internal combustion engines back in the 70's. What they discovered has set the standards that we follow even today (and why HHO kits have never made it to mainstream production). These homemade HHO kits, and even the commercial ones don't work. NASA found that to get a 40% increase in mileage, it takes 1500 amps of electrical current passing through water to create enough HHO gas. That's impossible to achieve on any automotive electrical system. Most hook up to a 20 or 30 amp circuit. Basically, it amounts to almost nothing in terms of gas produced vs the amount of gas needed for effective mileage gains.

The other issue is that HHO is only effective on super lean mixtures (gas engines). You have to run something like a 22:1 air/fuel ratio, instead of the stoichiometric 14.7:1 like you see on all gas engines. Of course, the biggest problem with running so lean (even when using HHO), is engine reliability goes right out the window.

Now diesels do run leaner mixtures, and do not operate constantly at a set stoichiometric mix. Instead, the air/fuel ratio varies depending on load, RPM's, boost, and many other factors. Diesel also consume much more air than a gas engine. Some of the best automotive HHO systems can only create about a liter of HHO gas (at atmospheric pressure) in a minute. In the diesel world, that's a drop in the bucket, and not enough to effect fuel mileage on a reliably measurable scale.

However, I was thinking about puting it on my 6.0 diesel when I ran across an HHO forum, and my friend and I joined it. I asked the same question, and man did I get an answer. My head is still reelling from all the stuff that you have to go through in order to get 2 to 3 mpg. All the electronic mods that you have to throw at it just to get the ECU or ECM to shut up. I don't know about others, but I'm not too willing to cut up my wiring harness, and cause a power failure or wire brake down just for 2 to 3 mpg's. Because, the little money I save at the pump will never pay for the cost of a new wiring harness and labor install.
Unfortunately, you were severely mis-informed. Diesels don't have MAF sensors or O2 sensors, and do not stick to a constant schoichiometric mix when operating. The PCM does not care or is even aware of the introduction of HHO gas, and there is no calibration to even set up to run HHO. Gas engines must run leaner in order to make HHO even slightly effective, and of course running leaner increases gas mileage, but at the expense of premature engine failure.

Here is a test to really see if HHO actually works on a diesel. Set up an HHO system and hook it up to an on off switch that you can control in the cab. Drive on a flat highway maintaining a constant speed (do not use cruise control). Flip the switch on to activate the HHO, and do not change pedal position. If HHO actually works on a diesel, your truck should accelerate by itself when the HHO is switched on. Try that, and report back on your findings. It's a simple but definitive test, and a test that hardcore proponents of HHO refuse to try.

By the way, that test is only for diesels. Since gas engines monitor MAF and O2 sensors, the PCM automatically and instantly changes fueling, so this test doesn't work on gas engines.

Old 01-29-2009, 10:09 AM
rcherry11
Senior User
They only thing that I would add is to when people say that it takes to much to make hydrogen is that in all the kits that i'v seen they use a water vinegar mix so it don't take that much energy to make hydrogen just my .02 on that subject

Old 01-29-2009, 01:27 PM
jbarker_bankspower
Junior User
We actually agree 100% with pocket on this one. These things are scams. You simply can never, ever, get more energy out then is put in. It isn't possible. Here's a very simple example: if it took (just as an example) 50hp to break the water down then, when it's burned in the engine, you can only get a maximum of 50hp back. Period. Now figure on how poor our engines are thermally. Your average gas engine is only about 25% efficent and a typical diesel is only about 32% efficent. So if you put 50hp in your only going to get 12.5hp back in a gas engine and only 16hp in a diesel. This is, obviously, a net loss. Remember 1+1=2, 1+1 will NEVER=3.

Old 01-29-2009, 02:52 PM
adambomb
Posting Guru
i agree with pocket and banks about the kits being super over priced and the claims being over inflated. they also don't tell you how much time it takes to maintain the kits and flush them out and stuff.
i personally am all for alternatives (bio, HHO, etc.)
both my brother and i have 1980's 5 cylinder mercedes diesels that are converted to run veggie. he has a duel cell kit and when it working and he gets the mixture right (water, chemicals, pulse width modulator, etc.) we saw around a 20% increase in MPG's. but then he also has problems powering the HHO kit and his alternator and battery get abused and taxed.

i know were talking about the 6.0s but i just wanted to add this info that somehow it did work in another diesel engine (my brothers) but HHO is a pain to keep maintained and he doesn't use it that much because of all the time it takes. but for a long road trip he will get it all dialed in.

as of know i haven't seen a kit for our trucks that seems worth the money, gain in MPG's, or hassle.

Old 01-29-2009, 07:43 PM
ingman
Tuned
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
WOW, this is all very interesting, I just wish I was smart enough or educated enough to follow it. Very cool to talk about.

Old 01-29-2009, 08:51 PM
go6.0go
Freshman User
I may have said this before

Actually, I have a HHO bath design on my wife's KIA. I'm not being a smart butt, but I have recorded more than once 9 mpg gain. Other times 3 to 6 mpg's.

I just started with HHO in Nov. 2008. A friend and I built 12 generators (6 for each of us) and I started testing on Thanksgiving Day. 2.0 KIA Spectra, before only was getting 27.0 mpg no matter what (city/highway). Personly, I think that sucks for a car that advertises "35.0 mpg highway" and that is why I'm doing HHO.

The first two tests or tanks 36.2 mpg with HHO and from then until now it's been 3 to 6 mpg. I'll not complain about that.

Baking Soda has been the catalyst for all of these test so far, however I'm testing lye (NaOH) as my new catalyst. It's looking like I'm loosing mpg at this point, which sucks because I was told that B-Soda wasn't any good and that I needed to use lye.

I think HHO works but only on certain size engines and engine that don't rely heavily on 02 and MAP sensor combos

I do thank all of you for your info. beliefs and disbeleifs. I think I'll hold off on HHO for my 6.0 diesel, because it is more costly to fix if HHO screws something up.

Thanks again,
go6.0go