Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-26-2009, 05:31 PM
Posting Guru

bigbubba87 is starting off with a positive reputation.
trailer plug wiring question

I Have to rewire the trailer plug on my 2000 f350 to pull our goose neck. The trailer has electric brakes. Orange-power feed all the time White-ground Blue-? Green-turn signal Yellow-turn signal Black with green stripe-? Brown white stripe-trailer marker lights ok i have that much figure out. Are they right? what is the blue wire. and what is the black with a green stripe? im wiring it into just a basic 6 pole round plug in.
2001 Supercab Shortbed, 7.3 Psd, ZF6, TS 6 Position chip, 6637, 38R , Bellowed up-pipes, 4" Turbo back to stacks, Hutch/Harpoon mod, HPX, AIH delete, Foil delete, Coolant bypass filter, Transmission filter, 03 turn Signal/Heated mirrors, Lots of extra lights
Old 01-26-2009, 05:40 PM
Post Fiend

rbaker6336 is a splendid one to beholdrbaker6336 is a splendid one to beholdrbaker6336 is a splendid one to beholdrbaker6336 is a splendid one to beholdrbaker6336 is a splendid one to beholdrbaker6336 is a splendid one to beholdrbaker6336 is a splendid one to behold
How to Wire your Car or Truck for Trailer Lights
'98 Grand Cherokee, '86 F-150 SB Lariat 4x4 bought new (needs new home)
PAA #35
Old 01-26-2009, 05:49 PM
Post Fiend

superduty4x4 has much to be proud ofsuperduty4x4 has much to be proud ofsuperduty4x4 has much to be proud ofsuperduty4x4 has much to be proud ofsuperduty4x4 has much to be proud ofsuperduty4x4 has much to be proud ofsuperduty4x4 has much to be proud ofsuperduty4x4 has much to be proud ofsuperduty4x4 has much to be proud of
I had a post a while back that detailed what wire did what... IIRC blue is the feed for the brakes. Black/green is probably reverse lights, assuming you're looking at your factory 7 way plug.
PAA Member #2
97 F350 CCLB 4x4 PSD
96 F350 CCLB 4x4 PSD - totaled 4/17/11 and sorely missed
God speed PaysonPSD, you will be missed
ThumperTalk / All Things Moto! / Back Country Rebels / SAWS / BRC
Old 01-26-2009, 05:50 PM
Postmaster

clintbonnie has a very good reputation on FTE.clintbonnie has a very good reputation on FTE.clintbonnie has a very good reputation on FTE.
The Blue wire is to your trailer brakes (hot, not ground).

The Black is Battery Charge (if your trailer has a battery backup for the brakes.._).

The White is common Ground.

The Red is Stop and LH turn.

The Green is Tail, License and running lights.

The Brown is Stop and RH turn lights.

The "center lug" is Yellow for extra Auxiliary circuit.. (not usually used)

Not sure what your orange wire would be..

You can always check each wire with a ohm volt meter is double check where they are going.. If the trailer has a battery, then one of the wires will be 12v at the trailer plug...
Clint... Early 99, F350, 4X4, Auto, DRW, S-Cab, Gauges, Diablosport 60 HP, OilGuard, Tru-Cool 28K, 5% Biodiesel, Shell Synthetic 5w40, Western Diesel TurboRamAir, MagnaFlow Exhaust, SSHPX, CCV Mod, Fuel Line/Tank Mod., Speed Bleeders, Bilstiens....
Old 01-26-2009, 05:50 PM
Postmaster

clintbonnie has a very good reputation on FTE.clintbonnie has a very good reputation on FTE.clintbonnie has a very good reputation on FTE.
The Blue wire is to your trailer brakes (hot, not ground).

The Black is Battery Charge (if your trailer has a battery backup for the brakes.._).

The White is common Ground.

The Red is Stop and LH turn.

The Green is Tail, License and running lights.

The Brown is Stop and RH turn lights.

The "center lug" is Yellow for extra Auxiliary circuit.. (not usually used)

Not sure what your orange wire would be..

You can always check each wire with a ohm volt meter is double check where they are going.. If the trailer has a battery, then one of the wires will be 12v at the trailer plug...
Clint... Early 99, F350, 4X4, Auto, DRW, S-Cab, Gauges, Diablosport 60 HP, OilGuard, Tru-Cool 28K, 5% Biodiesel, Shell Synthetic 5w40, Western Diesel TurboRamAir, MagnaFlow Exhaust, SSHPX, CCV Mod, Fuel Line/Tank Mod., Speed Bleeders, Bilstiens....
Old 01-26-2009, 07:28 PM
Posting Guru

orange has power all the time for the brakes.
2001 Supercab Shortbed, 7.3 Psd, ZF6, TS 6 Position chip, 6637, 38R , Bellowed up-pipes, 4" Turbo back to stacks, Hutch/Harpoon mod, HPX, AIH delete, Foil delete, Coolant bypass filter, Transmission filter, 03 turn Signal/Heated mirrors, Lots of extra lights
Old 01-26-2009, 07:32 PM
Post Fiend

rbaker6336 is a splendid one to beholdrbaker6336 is a splendid one to beholdrbaker6336 is a splendid one to beholdrbaker6336 is a splendid one to beholdrbaker6336 is a splendid one to beholdrbaker6336 is a splendid one to beholdrbaker6336 is a splendid one to behold
according to the link I posted orange is auxillary
'98 Grand Cherokee, '86 F-150 SB Lariat 4x4 bought new (needs new home)
PAA #35
Old 01-26-2009, 07:41 PM
Elder User

sideshow is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.sideshow is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
You said you were re-wiring yours? What kind of plug do you have now, factory? I added a 7way plug in the bed of my truck. I removed the factory plug (just a quick connect behind bumper) and spliced into it a section of 7 way wire i had left over from replacing the trailer side plug on my landscape trailer. I had wiring diagrams, but just make sure the corresponding wires on each plug match. I drilled a hole behind the driver's side tail light, at the widest part of the bed (close to the tie down anchor). I then fished the new wiring up through the wiring access to the tail light, and through the new hole i drilled. Then connect the wires to the back of the female plug. I'll see if I can get a picture.

This way I don't have to worry about the plug flopping against the tailgate, or hanging up on something. I also did it cause i thought it was cool.
Kevin
Old 01-26-2009, 07:44 PM
Elder User

sideshow is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.sideshow is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
It would have been easier, but I couldn't find an adapter for my year of truck. Hoppy makes a "Fifth wheel wiring kit" which is a quick connect tee that plugs in where the factory harness is now, and has a plug on one end of the tee. The other end of the tee has the bare wires to connect to the female plug. Pretty easy, just disconnect the factory harness, connect the two new plugs, and connect the wires to the female plug. They make them for newer superduties, but i couldn't find one for mine. I accidentally bought one for a newer modlel and realized the pins on the harness didn't match up, so i just returned it, and made my own. About the same price, but more time consuming.

This is what i was looking for but couldn't find. I wonder if it is a new product, because their website didn't have it listed last time I looked.
http://www.hopkinstowingsolutions.co...connector.html
Kevin
Old 01-26-2009, 08:33 PM
Postmaster

cangim is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.cangim is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I believe this is what you are looking for: This is for the ford wiring.

Color - Function
Dark Blue -Trailer Electric Brakes
Orange - Trailer Battery Feed
Yellow - Left Stop Turn
Dark Green - Right Stop Turn
White - Ground
Brown/White - Trailer Running Lamps
Black/Lt Green - Trailer Backup Lamps
Old 01-26-2009, 09:01 PM
Posting Guru

cangim that last post was what i needed thanks i am keeping the factory plug but putting a diff plug in on it.
Old 01-27-2009, 07:40 AM
Postmaster

cangim is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.cangim is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
your welcome
Old 01-27-2009, 08:39 AM
Postmaster

white Buffalo is a splendid one to beholdwhite Buffalo is a splendid one to beholdwhite Buffalo is a splendid one to beholdwhite Buffalo is a splendid one to beholdwhite Buffalo is a splendid one to beholdwhite Buffalo is a splendid one to beholdwhite Buffalo is a splendid one to behold
The OP's question was answered, but I figured I would post this pic. I saved the pic in my documents since I can never remember which wire belongs to what.....

Plus we are iced/snowed in today and I'm just drinking too much coffee and a postin' away!

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 01-27-2009, 08:39 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

Tags
2000, 4way, 7way, brakes, diagram, diagrams, f350, ford, picture, plug, stock, trailer, wire, wiring, ww