1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

More questions about my build.

Old 01-26-2009, 11:59 AM
Rellim51
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
More questions about my build.

When I got my 60 F-100, all the door glass was missing so I decided to do the 1 piece window route. I ordered my glass kit from Vintage Glass at the shades of the past show. When the stuff finally came in, all i got was 2 pieces of glass, 2 10' sticks of bendable run channel and 2 long sticks of window felt. Shouldn't there be some kind of instructions? What about the front window channel where the glass goes down in the door? Am I supposed to reuse the division bar for this somehow? Any advice from someone who has already done this would be great.

Old 01-26-2009, 04:30 PM
LEckart
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm not familiar with the 60, but on my 56 the window channel ran as a continuous piece from the lower front to the lower back, long enough on the vertical pieces on each end to hold the glass when in the down position. The division bar is not used. You may have to fab some clips at each end to hold the channel in place. There should already be a support clip at the rear portion. I just glued the channel in place once I had it bent to the door frame shape. Bend it slowly a little at a time. I think I would call Vintage Glass and see if they forgot to include some basic instructions. Hope this helps a little.

Old 01-26-2009, 05:40 PM
Rellim51
Senior User
Thanks for your help, my main concern was that the bendable run channel they sent would not be sturdy enough on the front lower portion of the window to hold the glass. A friend suggested I make a metal channel for the run channel to snap into in this area with some sort of brace or bracket to locate it. Are you saying you just let the run channel sort of hang down in the door on the front?

Old 01-26-2009, 07:40 PM
LEckart
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No, I just didn't let it hang. As I recall the kit I purchased from Midfifty had a piece of channel like your friend mentioned. I'm old and don't recall some things without prompting. It also had a bracket that attached to the inside door skin for lower support of the channel frame. Perhaps you could look in the Midfifty catalog online to get some ideas. I would take a photo for you but I have sold that truck and you are stuck with my memory.

Old 01-26-2009, 07:59 PM
mytbtruck
Laughing Gas
I got my kit from Vintage Glass for my 48. It had glass, two chanels for the front, two brackets to hold the channels, the channel felt to go around the window and the wipes on the doors sometimes called anti-rattlers. I had a hard time getting everything. I went to Vintage Glass to pick up all the kit and the only had a small portion on it. I had to make several calls to get everything I needed. I did install them and they worked very good and looked very good. I have them out now to get the doors painted. I could send some pictures if I can be of any help. If you need anything I can help you with send me an E-mail or PM. Larry.

Old 01-26-2009, 08:06 PM
mytbtruck
Laughing Gas
I have a picture of the door with the glass installed. They roll up and down very good.

Old 01-26-2009, 08:17 PM
Rellim51
Senior User
Thanks for the help. I'm glad I'm not the only one having trouble with them. Here's my story: I bought the "show special" at the Shades of the Past show in September. The guy was very nice and said it would be 3-4 weeks before he could ship. 8 weeks later I hadn't seen any parts so I called. They had no record of my order but asked what I needed and sent it out. (I had my cash receipt but they never asked for it.) About a week later I get a box with 2 pieces of glass and nothing else. The glass wasn't even close to fitting either. I called and they said they didn't have what I needed in stock but they would have it drop shipped from somewhere. A week later I got 2 more pieces of glass and a long tube with 2 long pieces of window run channel and 2 pieces of window felt....that's all. The glass looked like it would fit and even had "57-60 F-150" written on it but after further inspection it did not fit. It was about 2" too narrow from front to rear. I called back and they said that was all they had for my truck and if it didn't fit I would have to make a pattern and they would have to cut it. I could have had my local glass shop do that a long time ago for much cheaper but I wanted tempered glass. How am I going to get tempered glass if they cut if from my pattern? I have the pattern made but I haven't had time to send it to them yet.

Old 01-26-2009, 08:19 PM
Rellim51
Senior User
If they don't have the front metal channels, could I just cut the division bars and use them as a channel?

Old 01-26-2009, 08:43 PM
mytbtruck
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Rellim51
If they don't have the front metal channels, could I just cut the division bars and use them as a channel?
They have all the channels you need. Get back to them and ask them to send all the parts you paid for and some instructions.

Old 01-27-2009, 04:56 PM
mytbtruck
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Rellim51
Thanks for the help. I'm glad I'm not the only one having trouble with them. Here's my story: I bought the "show special" at the Shades of the Past show in September. The guy was very nice and said it would be 3-4 weeks before he could ship. 8 weeks later I hadn't seen any parts so I called. They had no record of my order but asked what I needed and sent it out. (I had my cash receipt but they never asked for it.) About a week later I get a box with 2 pieces of glass and nothing else. The glass wasn't even close to fitting either. I called and they said they didn't have what I needed in stock but they would have it drop shipped from somewhere. A week later I got 2 more pieces of glass and a long tube with 2 long pieces of window run channel and 2 pieces of window felt....that's all. The glass looked like it would fit and even had "57-60 F-150" written on it but after further inspection it did not fit. It was about 2" too narrow from front to rear. I called back and they said that was all they had for my truck and if it didn't fit I would have to make a pattern and they would have to cut it. I could have had my local glass shop do that a long time ago for much cheaper but I wanted tempered glass. How am I going to get tempered glass if they cut if from my pattern? I have the pattern made but I haven't had time to send it to them yet.
It took me so long to get my parts that I got very discusted with these people. I kept my cool everytime I called them. They will cut your pattern and send the glass off to have it tempered. I would not recommend them to anyone unless you want to be delayed for awhile.
L.C. Appling is the owner of Vintage Glass. I had a cell phone # for him at 770 480 7495. He finally helped me after a long wait. The number may have changed. Larry