1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on Ravelco Alarm system

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 06:23 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,410 Likes on 1,006 Posts
Thoughts on Ravelco Alarm system

Been thinking about getting this system for my truck. What does everyone think about it? Any issues/concerns?

I have a quote from the dealer here in MD for $359 plus tax installed.

This is their website: Ravelco Anti Theft Device

Old 01-25-2009, 07:11 AM
_Rick_
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by senix
Been thinking about getting this system for my truck. What does everyone think about it? Any issues/concerns?

I have a quote from the dealer here in MD for $359 plus tax installed.

This is their website: Ravelco Anti Theft Device

I've been looking into these also. From what I've read online (I did a lot of searching and reading) they seem like a good addition to most any alarm system. The only thing that keeps bugging at me is,,, I'm not exactly sure what's involved with installing these units and what exacly the units consist of for hardware. It seems that they are basically just wires and the cut off plug unit itself. If that is the case then it seems that the hardware alone can't be worth much so we end up paying alot for install alone. I'm confident it's probably worth it and it's not an easy task to hunt down all the wires on all the different vehicles that need to be sliced into, but being as frugal as I am sometimes I am having a hard time justifying the cost for myself.
I haven't ruled out the Ravelco system yet, but I need to look into it even further before I take the plunge.

Rick...

Old 01-25-2009, 08:21 AM
Futuresweets-10
Elder User
Their website sucks. The link that you click to find out what the product is does not work, so I can only go off of the pictures. From what I can see and what I guess it is I think it is worthless.

Old 01-25-2009, 08:23 AM
senix
Super Moderator
i can get the website to work by clicking on the link. Thanks for inout thus far.

Old 01-25-2009, 08:30 AM
Futuresweets-10
Elder User
i can get the website to work by clicking on the link. Thanks for inout thus far.

I worked in the mobile electronics field for a few years and consider myself to be one of the better installers... Anyway, it looks like its just a "special" key that disables the car and wont let it start with out that key in. There are countless other systems like this out there. About 95% of automotive thefts are done with the keys in the vehicle, then, in most break ins the car is not stolen, only contents. So this, of course does not reduce the chances of the vehicle getting broken into. If a theif wants to steal your vehicle knowing the key is not in it then chances are they will either get around this device or do so much damage trying you will have wished they got the truck. I find it really hard to believe their claim that a vehicle with this device has NEVER been stolen considering tow trucks exist. After looking through the website at the pages I could find I question the comany's ethics as well. They attempt to scare anyone who relies on an embedded key chip by giving step by step instructions on how to disable it on their website.

IMO you would have much better protection if you spent that money on an alarm with a pager and then wired in a $2 switch from radio shack into a wire somewhere out of the way (drivers side kick or something) to disable a vital component. That way if you know you are going to be out of range of the pager you can turn the switch off. Better protection, and you get alot more for the money

Old 01-25-2009, 09:15 AM
_Rick_
Elder User
Originally Posted by Futuresweets-10
After looking through the website at the pages I could find I question the comany's ethics as well. They attempt to scare anyone who relies on an embedded key chip by giving step by step instructions on how to disable it on their website.
I missed that in the FAQ somehow. Maybe it was because I was at the Ravelco Canada site.

I must say after reading the OEM transponder comments on the Ravelco site FAQ I think my mind is made up. That does seem like a serious ethics issue to me. I was leaning towards rigging up a couple of kill switches myself and now I think that's the way I'll go. I was only considering Ravelco but not I'm pretty sure I won't be going that route.

Old 01-26-2009, 03:04 PM
_Rick_
Elder User
I've continued looking into Revelco and I have to admit that I'm second guessing myself to a point. As it turns out a neighbor of mine (same area anyways) has a Ravelco installed in two different vehicless. Ones in a '03 F-250 and the other in a '70 Camero. I found out only this morning that back in July 2007 while he was away on holiday his Camero (That is garage kept) was broken into. Apparently the thieves attempted to steal the car two evenings in a row but were not able to because of the Ravelco unit. The thieves must have had alot of time to fight with it since they went back the second night and they were actually being careful to not damage the car. When the owner returned he found his cars dash taken apart, the hood open with a mess of wires, but the car was still sitting in his garage.
Maybe the thieves were morons seeing they seemed to have maybe hours to figure out the wiring, but somehow I feel that the Ravelco did the job it was supposed to.

I understand that installing a kill switch or two can pretty much do the job if it's done with a little thought and imagination regarding switch placement and hiding the wires, but I'm thinking the Ravelco does seem to actually work and atleast offers a clean, proven installation that includes a removable plug to take with you when leaving the vehicle unattended.

Anywho, I just wanted mention that because I felt I was maybe a little quick on the trigger being a bit negative after only reading a few comments in forums about the Ravelco unit. It was just a fluke I happened to run into the fellow with the Camaro this morning while I was on a job site.
I think I'm going to look into finding a local company that deals with Ravelco and find out what the cost is either installed or just the unit and maybe I'll give it a try at install myself. I'll have to see what the cost is before I make a decision.

Old 01-26-2009, 04:06 PM
ReAX
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I use a passive system that will not let the transmission out of part unless you find my secret switch. The plus side to this system is it is always active, it does have a valet switch on the brain, but I hardly use it (once in 2 years). Another Plus is the engine can be left running, keys in and the vehicle can't be moved by anyone who I haven't told the secret too.

Personally I think $350 is a bit much for a pair of connectors with all of the column wiring running through it. You can make pretty much the same thing using a 6 or 7 wire trailer connector (or just about any multi pin connector.)

The down side to any system is how much damage will a thief do before he gives up or gets the vehicle. Visual deterrence goes a long way for the basic thief, but there really isn't a way to stop a determined thief. A flat bed wrecker will override just about any system. That said, I like alarms (particularly 2 way) to alert me to trouble so I can respond in kind.

Old 01-26-2009, 04:25 PM
senix
Super Moderator
they quoted me like 359.00 installed. so i am considering it too.

Old 01-26-2009, 05:09 PM
_Rick_
Elder User
Originally Posted by ReAX
Personally I think $350 is a bit much for a pair of connectors with all of the column wiring running through it. You can make pretty much the same thing using a 6 or 7 wire trailer connector (or just about any multi pin connector.)
I forgot to mention the pricing issue in my last post.
I meant to comment on the $359.00 plus tax senix mentioned.
That seems high. I would try to shop around a bit senix. That's around $450.00 CAD eh! (incd tax) and from what I've found around here you should be able to get it done for less. I would phone around a bit. You can also buy the kit separately and get most anyone (including yourself) to install it. Apparently it comes with instructions also for the do-it yourselfers.

Ok, maybe I'm getting out of line with this. At first I was sceptical about the Ravelco and still am a bit about the cost. But theres something about the clean finish of the plug end and the general security it can provide when used with a good passive alarm that just seems like a good alternative to me if you're NOT a do-it yourself kinda guy and need or want a kill switch device installed professionally. Ofcourse if you have the time and you have some basic skills you can create a very slick cutoff switch setup easily with a little thought and imagination, but as mentioned if you don't have the time, energy or basic knowledge of wiring up your vehicle then it seems like a good way to go to have one of these units or something similar installed in a vehicle professionally as an additional layer of security.
I suppose to be fair I should say I probably wouldn't have even commented on this topic again earlier today if I hadn't talked with the fellow that had his Camaro messed with. He was just so pleased with it I kind of got caught up in his experience and found myself getting a little excited about finding a unit and installing one in my Truck.

Rick...

Last edited by _Rick_; 01-26-2009 at 05:29 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-26-2009, 05:20 PM
_Rick_
Elder User
they quoted me like 359.00 installed. so i am considering it too.
If you end up going with the Ravelco please let us know how it goes. I would be very interested in how the process turns out for you.
I'm curious,,,
For the $359.00 plus tax:
Does the install include home service (they come to your vehicle for the install) or are you supposed to bring your vehicle to the installer?

Rick...

Old 01-26-2009, 05:23 PM
boxcar1974
Postmaster
My dad has one in his 04 Dodge ram. They came out and installed it in the drive way. It took about 2-3 hours. He has never had any issues thus far. He has a special connector that has to be plugged in before he can start the truck.

Granted I have never done any research on this sytem but he is happy with it.

Old 01-26-2009, 06:06 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by _Rick_
If you end up going with the Ravelco please let us know how it goes. I would be very interested in how the process turns out for you.
I'm curious,,,
For the $359.00 plus tax:
Does the install include home service (they come to your vehicle for the install) or are you supposed to bring your vehicle to the installer?

Rick...
They come to you either at work or your home.

Old 01-26-2009, 06:30 PM
_Rick_
Elder User
They come to you either at work or your home.
To me that's worth something in itself. That kinda makes me lean towards the $359.00 plus tax is not all that bad, but I still feel it might be just a bit on the high side still. BUT,,, everyone needs to make a living so it might not be all that unreasonable for that price especially if you get a decent fellow doing the installation that takes pride in his work. The convenience factor alone would be a pretty good buying point for me.

Rick...

Old 01-26-2009, 07:03 PM
mpeck
Freshman User
Thumbs up Ravco system

Had a Ravelco system put in my 08 350 KR crewcab Dually when it was new. I paid the 300 plus and anouther 100 for them to come from New York city to western Ny. It took the techician about eight hours to install the system. I think it was well worth the cost. It is a pain to remember to remove the special key and to remember to replace it but the truck will not start without it. The insurance co. gave me a discount because of it. No system will stop a tow truck from taking a truck but this will stop a thief even a pro in my opinion. If it will save my fifty-five thousand truck it is well worth it to me. Menzo

Quick Reply: Thoughts on Ravelco Alarm system