6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Turbo Lag, Slow to Spool

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 04:41 PM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Question Turbo Lag, Slow to Spool

My buddy has a 2006 6.0 Auto with 40K and sent me an email about his turbo lag.

"The turbo lag in mine is noticeable and had to get used to it when pulling onto a street. The turbo lag seems to be consistent from the day I got it w/30k on it. You can’t punch it from idle and get it to accelerate quickly; you have to roll it on and it responds o.k. It seems normal for something running without engine vacuum/carburetor. The turbo is everything and there is that hesitation for .5 sec. or 1 sec before you feel it pulling and see the boost gage climb off zero. Then, hang on."

Is this normal for a 6.0 and if so, is there something that can be done to alleviate as much lag as possible?<O</O

Any help or advice would certainly be appreciated.

Old 01-23-2009, 06:39 PM
PETE'S_6.0PSD
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
he might have vaines in the turbo that are stuck... did he try to resd DTC codes? get a scaner.
EGR might affect it too...
but im betting on the turbo,

Old 01-23-2009, 06:49 PM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by PETE'S_7.3PSD
he might have vaines in the turbo that are stuck... did he try to resd DTC codes? get a scaner.
EGR might affect it too...
but im betting on the turbo,
Thanks for your input Pete. The first one to post to a thread about a 6.0 by the owner of a 7.3 is of course a previous 7.3 owner.

I told him to bring it over to my place and we'll hook it up to AE.

I did mention to him that the 6.0 turbos are prone to carbon build up. He drives it with a very light foot and I told him he needs to do some WOT runs once in a while to try and blow her out.

I will also send him some info on cleaning the EGR.

Old 01-23-2009, 06:55 PM
brickie
Cargo Master
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Old 01-23-2009, 07:08 PM
PETE'S_6.0PSD
Postmaster
no problem Robin, go to the site brickie posted for instructions on EGR cleaning.

Old 01-23-2009, 08:34 PM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by brickie
Thanks brickie, great link to turbo reconditioning.

no problem Robin, go to the site brickie posted for instructions on EGR cleaning.
Pete, I also found the EGR servicing page.

Old 01-23-2009, 08:41 PM
brickie
Cargo Master
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Strange thing but I can't get the link to work now.Is it still working on your puters.

Old 01-23-2009, 08:44 PM
silverstang
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
quick little thing he can do............the hose that runs from the map sensor to the intake. Get a small wire or something, and clean out the port on the intake. Sometimes they get carboned up and will cause a lack of power (low boost)...........this is also a good thing to do just for normal maint.........maybe every other oil change.

Old 01-23-2009, 08:50 PM
PETE'S_6.0PSD
Postmaster
Old 01-23-2009, 09:03 PM
pjwoolw
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Does it make hissing noise or high pitched whistle while going uphill or under load? If so one of the turbo boots or something (can't remember) may be coming off. It the boot does pop off it will have no power and blow white smoke. My 05 had that happen at a extremely unfortunate moment two summers ago. Dealer fixed it under warranty. I believe there is a upgraded part or whatever that they installed.

Pete

Old 01-23-2009, 09:07 PM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by brickie
Strange thing but I can't get the link to work now.Is it still working on your puters.
I couldn't get it to work properly until I went to Preview Post and the hyperlink was correct and not taken over by a sponsor. Here it is again as a new hyperlink 6.0 Turbo Reconditioning You almost have to build your own or it gets corrupted for use by a sponsor.

Originally Posted by silverstang
quick little thing he can do............the hose that runs from the map sensor to the intake. Get a small wire or something, and clean out the port on the intake. Sometimes they get carboned up and will cause a lack of power (low boost)...........this is also a good thing to do just for normal maint.........maybe every other oil change.
Thanks for the tip.

here is another one
Diesel Technician Society
Thanks Pete. Now I got one for "EGR servicing" and one for "EGR cleaning". One for the EGR itself and one for the hole it mounts in.

Old 01-23-2009, 09:57 PM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by pjwoolw
Does it make hissing noise or high pitched whistle while going uphill or under load? If so one of the turbo boots or something (can't remember) may be coming off. It the boot does pop off it will have no power and blow white smoke. My 05 had that happen at a extremely unfortunate moment two summers ago. Dealer fixed it under warranty. I believe there is a upgraded part or whatever that they installed.

Pete
He says other than turbo lag the truck performs fine. No smoke of any kind and no sign og a boost leak.

Old 01-23-2009, 11:12 PM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
I would check all of the above also. But, thinking back to when I bought mine new, it's always had some minimal turbo lag. Also, the '05+ trucks have the drive by wire accelerator on them and don't seem like they react as quickly as the pre '05 trucks when you "punch it". I've always had better luck and acceleration by rolling into the throttle. Mine is also all stock so that may be some of the difference as well. I check all my boots, etc. on a regular basis and haven't ever found any loose. Just been this way since I got it and figured it was supposed to be. The '05 I test drove before ordering mine ran the same though.

Old 01-24-2009, 12:23 PM
pjwoolw
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Turbo

Originally Posted by PaysonPSD
He says other than turbo lag the truck performs fine. No smoke of any kind and no sign og a boost leak.
You won't see any smoke until the boot pops off. The symptoms you describe are similar to what I was experiencing before the boot popped off. Couldn't hear anything odd till I started pulling a good hill at 60 to 65 mph. Boost was slow to come up like the gauge was stuck on 0 for a moment then would take off normally. Anyway after the third or fourth time up the hill the boot popped off. Then comes the smoke and no power.

Just a thought.

Pete

Old 01-25-2009, 11:29 AM
DCSpecial
Post Fiend
Sounds like what he is describing is normal if you just try and mash it hard off of the line on a stock truck.
Apply medium throttle and then heavy throttle and it moves.......pin it from the start and it isn't as quick to respond.

Quick Reply: Turbo Lag, Slow to Spool