Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-22-2009, 06:14 PM
New User

fordnc is starting off with a positive reputation.
alternator won't charge

To onefarmer and cOOnhunterjoe. Here's what I got. I bought a meter and tested the following wires. With the truck off and the key off I tested the battery's and got 10.82 volts, with the black on the battery and the red on the large post on the back of the alternator I got 10.58 volts. The 3 wire connector on the top of the alternator the left side wire was a yellow wire and it read 10.58, the middle wire which is the jumper wire back to the alternator read .05 volts and the right side wire which is green read 2.44 volts. I started the truck and was going to do the rest of the test and the truck died and will not start. The batterys seem to be dead again and they are new battery's. I removed the battery's to charge them and I tested them by themselves and they both read 10.25 volts. They are on the charger now. Did I do this right. Remember I have a 1997 f-350 ford dually with a 7.3 diesel
Old 01-22-2009, 07:51 PM
Post Fiend

c00nhunterjoe has a very good reputation on FTE.c00nhunterjoe has a very good reputation on FTE.c00nhunterjoe has a very good reputation on FTE.
i think i remember the truck, this is the one that has a new alternator that still wont charge?

you need to test the 3 wire connector with it unplugged from the alternator first. with it unplugged the first wire shuold read battery voltage as you said it does already, just double check it. the other outer wire should have 0 volts with the key off, then turn the key on and you should have battery voltage, check that first and get back to me.
Old 01-23-2009, 08:37 AM
Junior User

onefarmer is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by c00nhunterjoe View Post
i think i remember the truck, this is the one that has a new alternator that still wont charge?

you need to test the 3 wire connector with it unplugged from the alternator first. with it unplugged the first wire shuold read battery voltage as you said it does already, just double check it. the other outer wire should have 0 volts with the key off, then turn the key on and you should have battery voltage, check that first and get back to me.
x2 on that

I'm concerned about the 10.8v at the battery. It should read a bit over 12v. Maybe the batt was already run down or the meter is off that much. Double check the meter by testing another vehicle.
'96 F250 standard cab, E4OD, 4:10, cat removed, TS chipped (soon to be TW reburnt), 6637 mod, GP led.....
Old 03-16-2009, 03:55 PM
Freshman User

screech.owl is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by c00nhunterjoe View Post

Help, I was reading this post and this is similiar to my problem. I have put in new batteries and a new alternator and my truck still reads on the N on the Volt gauge. I checked output on the when running and it is putting out just over 12 Volts (the same as the alternator I replaced) I did the test you mentioned with with positive results. The funny thing is when you drive the truck for awhile (15minutes or more) the needle on the gauge returns to where it should be. Unfortunately at those times I have not been where I could do Voltage tests. Turn the truck off and we are back where we started. Any Ideas?
Thanks screech.owl
Old 03-16-2009, 11:26 PM
Elder User

Oversize is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Sounds like a bad voltage regulator to me. That'd keep it from charging. Especially w/ new batteries, they arent usually that expensive like $12, might want to take that of and get it chk'd most parts stores can do that for free.

Earl. Former U.S. Marine, Professional driver, CAT diesel and Industrial Mech, P/T race engineer
'96 F-250 HD, SC, LB, 7.3L PSD, 5 spd, 6" lift, 35" BFG's, 3" DP, cat gut, 4"-5" stacks, 4.10's w/ LS, FPR mod, CAI, Hot pdl, HPX, DP-Tuner, Stg 1's, IDM 120, AIC, never done,...
Old 06-29-2010, 11:49 PM
Elder User

MONAVIERONJON is starting off with a positive reputation.
coonhunter what would be the cause of the problem if the were no power to the alt with ignition on?pcm?
Old 06-29-2010, 11:49 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

Tags
2006, 60, 72, 73l, alternaror, alternator, batteries, charge, coronet, diesel, f250, ford, psd, start, wiring, wont