1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

04 F250 Troubles !!!HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 02:24 PM
ford2593
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 F250 Troubles !!!HELP!!!

Okay I have a 2004 F250 with 6.0L manual transmission FX4 4 wheel drive. Dec of 2007 I was deployed overseas and the truck was not driven daily and sat from time to time. My in laws tried to drive when they could but not daily. I came home last July for R&R and changed out the factory air box to a K&N air box to help with fuel mileage. When we were doing the install of the air box we noticed that there was a puddle of oil inside the turbo and had some concern. Asking my area dealer they told me that it was normal but others who have had fords for life tell me differnet. So more information about the dealership they told me that they will not warranty the turbo now because of the K&N air box. So I have been looking around for a dealer who would replace the turbo. Since then I returned back home Nov 2008 and started driving the truck daily. The truck only has 56,000 miles on it. I changed out the two fuel filters a couple of weeks ago because I felt from sitting it probably was a good idea and the filters that were in it looked BAD and dirty so i think it was a good idea. Now today i was getting on the highway when I thought i heard a "flutter" from the engine so I thought something was worry so I pull off right away and raved the engine, not hard, just alittle and didnt notice anything. So after driving about 3 more miles I had to stop for fuel at a place were I get fuel all the time. Local truck wash, alot of trucks in and out of there so I figured that was a good place to get fuel all the time, no time of the fuel to get stale in the underground tanks. Truck started normally and drove it alittle harder just to see if the turbo was crapping out on me and it felt like i was losing power but then after couple of more miles I would have the power back again. Had a 2 mile hill that I can normally pull unloaded in overdrive with no problem but once I got there again I had the lose of power again. Almost like the turbo was not working, I had the pedal to the floor and I didnt hear the turbo kicking in. But it seemed to clear up after stopping at a traffic light but still I dont think it was the same power that I should have. I finally returned home and added Power Service Diesel Fuel Supplement Cetane Bosst with Slick Diesel Lubrication to a full 32gal tank. I added about 8 oz. like I always do with a full tank

Earlier this morning before getting a full tank of fuel I got about 5 gals from another station closer to home just to get me to the downtown and till I could get my normally station. With the lose of power I watch the exhaust to see any smoke and I seen none.

Im sorry for such a long thread but I was hoping I could get some help from some fellow diesel lovers like ya'll

PS I also heard that when the turbos go they normally do heavy damage to the emtire engine.

Thank you

Old 01-22-2009, 02:36 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
Starting with the K&N, get rid of it. Put the intake back to stock, and once you have done that you can take it to a different dealer for warranty work. The K&N is bad news for these trucks, and there isn't an after market intake that will improve performance anyway.

The poor performance could well be sticky vanes in the turbo, or some other problem with the turbo actuation. Kind of sounds like it.

I would not expect to see a pool of oil "inside the turbo", but then with the K&N being an oiled filter, I don't know. Doesn't sound right to this amateur.

No, turbo failures do not usually cause catastrophic motor failure, but when they over boost they do blow head gaskets. So it is not something to ignore.

The cold weather this year has been causing lots of problems, so that could play into the performance issue too.

Old 01-22-2009, 03:00 PM
FireMe
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
+1 for losing the K+N. The stock system is very well designed and offers excellent filtration.

I would agree that you most likely have stuck vanes in the turbo. It isn't uncommon for this to happen to trucks that sit alot. Be warned that stuck vanes can cause the boost to rise to dangerous levels and blow gaskets or blow the tanks off the charge air cooler. Drive it gently and get it fixed soon.

I would also say a possibility of a stuck EGR valve, but you usually get a code from these.

Jay

Old 01-22-2009, 03:04 PM
ford2593
New User
Jay

Thanks for the information and i realized one thing I left out from the post, the EGR valve was replaced shortly after having the truck. But thank you.

And Bill

Thank you for your information too. I guess I know what I will be doing this weekend, changing out the K&N air box

Old 01-22-2009, 06:10 PM
Beerstalker
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The crank case vent is routed into the air intake so some oil usually makes it's way into the air system and coats the inside of everything. Since your truck sat so long that little coating probably had enough time to drain down and sit in the lowest spot around. I would clean it out and check it again after driving the truck for a week or so and see if it comes back. If not I wouldn't really worry about it.

Like the others said you could have a sticking turbo, or EGR valve, or both. They are pretty common problems especially in trucks that sit or idle a lot.

BTW if you scroll down a little farther on the main page there is a section just for the 6.0L motor. You can find a lot of great information in there if you read around a bit.

Old 01-22-2009, 06:21 PM
dave at BD Power
Former Vendor
Crank Case Issue

At BD we have recognized this common issue and have designed a CCV kit to eliminate the problem with-out venting to atmosphere. They BD CCV kits are a clean, OEM like install and have a replaceable filter. Like mention above in this thread there are a lot of cheap do-it-yourself options that can be done for less money and honestly I can not knock them cause anything is better than the OEM setup. For those of you that are more environmentally concerned and what a clean, fully functional CCV kit that looks like it rolled out of the plant with it on, look no further! Click HERE for more details on the BD CCV Kit.
<center>

</center>
Also if your boots are deteriorated and will not stay on, we also offer a heavy duty boot and clamp kit. Click HERE for more details on the BD Boot Kit.
<center> </center>