1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1951 vs 1952 hood on my 51 build

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 01:08 PM
jmadsen
Logistics Pro
Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
1951 vs 1952 hood on my 51 build

I have one of each and was/am considering selling the 52 hood. the problem is that my 51 hood has a few dents and will need more work, the one concern is on the top of one side it has an area circular 15" +- area that has been dented in (stretched) and not being a body expert it seems like it might be very difficult to get that fixed and not show a high area or imperfections.

I would use the 52 hood on my 51 build but the nose is solid right in the middle front where the 51 is cut out (to accomodate the 51 trim). I think it would be easier to cut out the metal in the nose of the 52 hood instead of trying to fix the dents on my 51 hood.

has anyone done this or have any recommendations? maybe the 51 chromed nose trim would look ok on the 52 hood without cutting the metal out??

the 51 chrome trim has a different top edge profile (pops up in the middle) where the 52 goes straight accross the top edge of the trim.

the 52 also has a couple extra holes in the hood side for the round F1 or F2 up chrome trim but that would be easy to fill.

here is a couple pictures of the differences 51 52

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1225/...ce14d7.jpg?v=0

thanks

Old 01-22-2009, 03:01 PM
Old F1
Cargo Master

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
My parts books are at home so I can’t find out if 51 and 52 hoods are the same, but I would guess they are, and if so, turn you 52 hood into a 51 because,

THE 51 IS JUST THE BEST LOOKING EVER!

Old 01-22-2009, 05:54 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
I never realized until now that the hoods were different. The books I have shows two different hoods in the illustrated book but lists the same number for '48-52. Number Dummy knows the exact parts numbers.

Old 01-22-2009, 07:15 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Hmmm Isn't that interesting! Ya learn something new every day - I always thought they were the same too.

Well filling th eholes for th eround 52 side emblem wouldn't be a problem, and I wouldn't think cutting the nose would be either.

Or maybe you could drill the upper valance and make your 51 a counterfiet 52.

But maybe you could get away with painting that center solid nose flat black and use the51 emblem, or paint it the normal truck color and put something cute in there like pinstriping, long horns, or two little led nose lights or something. You know something cool or weird? Being a little more of a purist on looks, I'd probably just cut the nose and "make it" a 51 hood.

Sounds like a fun projects - good luck

Julie

Old 01-22-2009, 09:22 PM
cmoritz
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had no idea there was a difference, thanks for pointing that out. So set me straight...
the ist pic is that of a 52(green), and the other is a 51??( the Panel) Both very nice examples by the way.
Your 51 hood has a large dent in the top? Does this dent interfere with the raised portion going thru the center of the hood? Is it an "oil-can" type dent? Are you going for the all original restoration..??
RandyJack installed stiffners on the inside of hood on his 56 project to help in a simaler situation,...just a thought. Oil canning across a large piece as you are describing can be a real treat and learning experience to remove....I"m not that brave to try and attempt that myself...I would probably do more harm than good...LoL! I am becoming a big fan of the 51-52 though..Good Luck on whatever you decide. If it was me...and I was trying to keep things as close to original looking as I could...I"d use the cut-off tool on the center piece........Good thinking!

Old 01-22-2009, 11:15 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
One more reason to stick with the '48-50, not only are they better looking, all parts are interchangeable.

Old 01-23-2009, 12:50 AM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by bobj49f2
One more reason to stick with the '48-50, not only are they better looking, all parts are interchangeable.
Yes, but that's boring. Who wants the same thing everyday? I like to have a variety!

Old 01-23-2009, 12:52 AM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
My 52 Panel has the 51 hood. No problem because the front trim covers up the extra hole in center. I had to drill additional holes on each side in order to mount the F1 emblems.

Just make a pattern of the center "nostril" in your 51 hood and transfer it (to cut out) in the 52 hood.

Old 01-23-2009, 11:14 AM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Originally Posted by 51PanelMan
Yes, but that's boring. Who wants the same thing everyday? I like to have a variety!

But you have to stock extra parts if you have both a '51 and a '52. Extra motors, flathead 6 in '51, OHV in '52, along with parts for the two different engines, plus different motor and frame mounts. Four different hood trim treatments, along with different engine insignias, V8 and 6. Different interiors for two different models. Also, stainless windshield trim on some and not others which makes the guys with the Deluxe cab look down on their fellow brethren with the standard cabs. With the '48-50, with the exception of the one year with the stainless wing window divider, we're all equal and live in harmony.

I only have to stock one type of hood to fit all my trucks, the engines are completely interchangeable, along with all of the interior and exterior trims. I need less room to store my inventory

My wife would go nuts if I told her I needed to have two of everthing for two different trucks even if they looked identical to her. She already thinks I have too much "junk".

Old 01-23-2009, 11:48 AM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
OK just to make the conversation interesting, I'll ask this question: I know what the drawings show, but does any one actually have or has anyone actually seen the 52 hood with the closed center spot on the nose?

Hey you 52 guys - let us know if this is for real!

Julie

Old 01-23-2009, 01:29 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
If the center piece actually covers the hole completely I don't see why Ford would tool us for a different hood. But maybe, like ever thing else seems to do, it was a cost savings not to do the additional stamping procedure to knock the center hole out. A friend of mine, who used to work for the big three during the '50s and '60s once took a look at the hood on my '49 and told me of the many stampings it took to make the hood. Maybe if they could eliminate one extra stamp it would save Ford $1 a hood, multiplied by how many units made. It could add up to a lot of $$ in a model year. Maybe since they were going with a new hood emblem they figured it would be cheaper to make a new emblem to cover that area than to do the extra stamp.

Old 01-23-2009, 01:51 PM
jmadsen
Logistics Pro
Thanks

Wow, Thanks everybody for the tips, pointers, questions and comments,

First the dent in my 51 hood I'm not sure what "oil Canning" is but I agree with Cmoritz I know I would also end up making the dent much worse, So I would end up just paying someone to fix it, (probably big bucks) I'm sure I will have plenty of those before its done so I want to minimize.
the dent is not in the raised section of hood but the raised section as you get closer to the cab is rescessed or pushed down some (on both 51 & 52) hoods but probably worse on the 51. I am interested in how to reinforce that area for sure.

After this thread I'm thinking that I will use the cutoff tool and modify the 52 hood to work for my 51. I will take my trim piece and make sure everything fits nice first and mark it like Illa mentions.

Although Julie has got my brain thinking about some kind of carzy accessory to put there???? hmmmm those two little holes might (see Pic below) could work for some glaring red Eyes or maybe some Blackout lights like my GPW has or something???

I personally like the look of the 51 better, It's the Best looking bonus built out there, it only took them 3 years to figure it out.

ya the five Star Cab guys probably do look down on the non 5 star trucks, Thats where it all started. now look at where we are, Power Mirrors, dvd players, gps navigation, backup sensors (so we can drive a big **** SUV and have absolutly no idea of the vehiculars actual dimensions and rely solely on the sensor to tell us when to stop backing. Its Madness I tell you, My Mother in Law reecntly purchased some hunk of junk GM and had to take an hour and half class on how to use all the accesseries

"She already thinks I have too much "junk". " I love Junk lol

Here is a picture of the front (nose) 52 hood I have, I didn't take any of my 51 and am at work supposed to be working

thanks again
Josh

Old 01-23-2009, 03:15 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
That's one beautiful hood!!!!

Old 01-24-2009, 11:03 PM
jmadsen
Logistics Pro
FYI I placed my 51 chrome trim up to the 52 hood, I would not be able to attache the 51 chrome without cutting the hole out, the trim piece is recesed back and hits the hood... the other problem I would have is the top edge of my chrome nose piece would only be about 1/16" or less? above the top edge of the side cut outs on the 52 hood. so Im not sure I will use the 52 hood.. the top to bottom cutouts on the 52 are at least 5/8" taller than the 51 hoods.

the funniest thing about this whole deal is the guy who I was going to sell the hood to is also the owner of the very nice Green 52 that I posted the picture of above! hope he doesn't mind.... I had met him last summer.
Later
Josh

Old 01-25-2009, 04:48 AM
Oz52F1
More Turbo
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
10 mins with the grinder made mine fit BEAUTIFUL !!!!!!!Don't be shy! It's only an old truck!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: 1951 vs 1952 hood on my 51 build