1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

New to this forum

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 07:05 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
WOW COOL TRUCK (literally)

You can't cut up something that pretty. You'll have to "pull a Walford" and just keep it and go buy another truck for a car hauler!!!

Welcome to FTE

Julie

Old 01-22-2009, 07:26 PM
Customcab
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
After seeing the photo, I think your on the right track about converting over. From what I can tell, that's just a ulitity type bed, doesn't have a pumper?
The cab is awesome, just reomve the siren, light and the interior control panel, they will sell, I recommend keeping the spotlights intact.
That's a great looking truck.
Keep us posted.....

Old 01-22-2009, 07:33 PM
LiftTech
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow. That's one sharp looking truck. If it were mine, I'd leave it as- is.

From a practical, hauling, working perspective, you may well be better served to buy a truck in much rougher condition, if you're set on using a 48-56 vintage truck. In the original form, the F-350s are slow (top speed is 55-ish), inefficient (my record MPG is 13, empty), and really have to work hard to do the job newer F-350s can do quite easily. The '56 will get about 14,000 pounds moving, and it'll stop it. But it won't do either in a way that's comfortable, and you won't want to repeat the experience. You'll make it far easier on yourself to take the extra time to drop in modern running gear, power steering and brakes, etc. I'm not one to fuss about whatever you decide to do with your truck, but it's always disappointing to see a truck in nice or original condition permanently modified in such a drastic way.

In any case, great truck. If it doesn't find a home at your place, let me know...

Old 01-22-2009, 09:55 PM
Col Flashman
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by biglugnutz
Hello!!!
I just bought a 1956 F 350 (ex-firetruck) with very little (almost none) rust. It has a Y block(i'm checking codes) with a four speed trans. The truck has 13,000 ORIGINAL miles and starts easily. I am trying to determine value of the truck in it's present condition because I bought it to make it into a race car hauler and I don't want to cut up something of value to a fire apparatus restorer.
Any help is appreciated
Tim
Less than 5% were manufactured in this configuration w/ only about 1% still in existence & w/ it in This pristine of a condition, you'd be doing a disservice by chopping it up & making it into a hauler.

Old 01-22-2009, 11:38 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
We've all seen nice firetrucks go for almost nothing. There is a real limited audience for them, they're expensive to maintain and drive (very heavy), and driving them just a couple times a year in parades has to get old. I'd just as soon see it transformed into something useful, Tim, good luck with it!

Old 01-23-2009, 09:10 AM
biglugnutz
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Col Flashman
Less than 5% were manufactured in this configuration w/ only about 1% still in existence & w/ it in This pristine of a condition, you'd be doing a disservice by chopping it up & making it into a hauler.
I really appreciate everyones input. I really do!! Col Flashman, where is this information about configurations and numbers??
Thank you
Tim