Modular V10 (6.8l)  

v10 in a hot rod

Old 01-22-2009, 12:19 AM
MattMerkl
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
v10 in a hot rod

I've got a 99 v10 and am installing in a hot rod. I also have access to a later 3 valve version. Is the 3 valve wider? is the computer more complicated? What automatic transmission bolts to this for 2wd? I heard somewhere that there are a couple years of the smaller AOD that will bolt up. Anyone know anything about this?

thanks

Old 01-22-2009, 07:19 AM
rodneytxps
New User
I too built hot rods. I have thought about doing this several times. The problem is a. the size width of the motor and b. the weight. I don't know what you are putting it in but I hope it is a large car or truck.
I would stick with the tranny that comes with it. That way you can use the computer as is. If you adapt a non electric trans you could use a computer out of a standard truck.
The 3v motor doesnt seem any larger. I have had trucks with them both. HOWEVER the
3v motor is far superior. A lot more power over the 99 and much better head/plug design.
Have you priced a rebuild? I would think the 3v motor would be "fresher"
With an aod trans my first concern would be how it would handle the torque? The are not the strongest of trans. Of coarse they could be built up but that's more money!
Good Luck

Old 01-22-2009, 07:54 AM
jonrjen
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
A month or so ago there was a Mustang for sale on Ebay....it had a V-10 under the hood. I asked myself....WHY....then answered myself.....because he could. It would be a very unique motor to go in a hot rod, but would have very limited off the shelf resources to pull from for power or dress up. But then, I say go for it and keep us informed on the project as it moves forward. There is a lot of great tech information you can pull from others here.
Of course I am one of those persons who thinks it is just wrong to build a Hot Rod from a Model A or T or Cobra kit car and put a Chevy powertrain under it......it just ain't right.

Old 01-22-2009, 09:35 AM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
The 3V is a little more complex motor than the 2V with its variable volume intake, drive by wire and etc.

Similar application for the 3V. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...inking-tt.html

The 2V is a little more simple and there are more bolt on parts avavilable for it. The 99' engine doesn't have the PI heads so you should consider getting the heads ported or going to PI heads. Can get cams made for the 2V also which would compliment the heads, don't know if aftermarket cams are available for the 3V but the 3V puts out quite a bit more power than the 2V so you probably wouldn't need to upgrade the cams.

The 4R100 or 5R110 will take the power. Either have aftermarket mechanical upgrades available for them and can be built very stout. An accumulator upgrade and /or a little tuning on the 4R100 can work wonders. The 5R110 is pretty darn stout from factory and can be tuned some to help it out. I believe the 4R100 is smaller than the 5R110.

I agree with Jonrjen on putting a chevy motor in a Ford or vice versa. If you want a particular make give it an engine to match.

Old 01-22-2009, 11:36 AM
mwsF250
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Here is what I found when researching putting a 3V in my '99 chassis:

3V is very close to the same size. Still a SOHC.
3V heads are a much nicer and more modern cross flow design, but definitely require a different intake, exhaust manifold, and front cover than the 2V.
Those things I know by comparing parts myself.

I was told the following, may be possible some of these statements may be in error:
- All 3V are drive by wire, not throttle cable.
- 3V requires 3V computer. The only trans a 3V computer will work with are those installed after 2005, the 5R110 (torqshift) or manual from post '06. No 3V vehicles were equipped with 4R100.
- All 3V enginese were installed in vehicles using CANBUS wiring in the dash, not discrete wiring.

Bottom line, probably could be done, but I gave up due to the electronic challenges. I did not want to invest the time figuring out how to manipulate or fool the ECM to accept the changes I would want to make. Or research and learn how to work with CANBUS.

Old 01-22-2009, 11:40 AM
mwsF250
Postmaster
Oh, as far as transmissions bolting up, I bolted the the '06 3V short block into my '99 using PI heads. The block and flexplate bolted up perfectly to my '99 trans and torque converter. Motor mounts bolted up. The only difference I found in the '06 3V block from my '99 2V block is the '06 had two more bosses cast into it for the dual knock sensor setup. It still had the old boss for the single sensor still there, so it was a bolt in swap for me.

Old 01-22-2009, 03:39 PM
V10_Cougar
Elder User
Originally Posted by dkf
The 3V is a little more complex motor than the 2V with its variable volume intake, drive by wire and etc.

Similar application for the 3V. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...inking-tt.html

The 2V is a little more simple and there are more bolt on parts avavilable for it. The 99' engine doesn't have the PI heads so you should consider getting the heads ported or going to PI heads. Can get cams made for the 2V also which would compliment the heads, don't know if aftermarket cams are available for the 3V but the 3V puts out quite a bit more power than the 2V so you probably wouldn't need to upgrade the cams.

The 4R100 or 5R110 will take the power. Either have aftermarket mechanical upgrades available for them and can be built very stout. An accumulator upgrade and /or a little tuning on the 4R100 can work wonders. The 5R110 is pretty darn stout from factory and can be tuned some to help it out. I believe the 4R100 is smaller than the 5R110.

I agree with Jonrjen on putting a chevy motor in a Ford or vice versa. If you want a particular make give it an engine to match.
I call it C.A.F.E.

Can't Afford Ford Engines - This is the actual reason why.

Old 01-22-2009, 04:43 PM
dkf
Hotshot
In most cases you get what you pay for.

Old 01-22-2009, 05:10 PM
Chaosracing
Posting Guru
Street Rodder Magazine a few months ago had a guy that put a V10 in a 38 Packard. Didnt go into detail to much, but after seeing that it got me thinking for my 47 Ford Truck.

Old 01-22-2009, 06:33 PM
5 Star Tuning
Former Vendor
Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts
As stupid as this sounds... I had thoughts the other day of putting a V10 into an unmarked police crown vic... ... Again just a thought I had....

Old 01-22-2009, 06:56 PM
dkf
Hotshot
I don't think a V10 in a Crown Vic is stupid at all. I would love to have one. I really like Crown Vics. Years back in a magazine I remember seeing an article on a Crown Vic that ran on LP and I thought it had a V10 in it. It was an experimental vehicle, its been a long time maybe I'm mistaken.

Old 01-22-2009, 07:01 PM
5 Star Tuning
Former Vendor
hmmmm maybe its a project....??? A friend of mine buys those cars left and right at the auction.... Those cars do ride nice and its always interesting to see other cars slow down so quickly when driving one...

Mike

Old 01-22-2009, 07:10 PM
5 Star Tuning
Former Vendor
There also sure is a large engine bay to make it fit...... thats possitive...

Old 01-22-2009, 07:15 PM
mwsF250
Postmaster
After seeing a couple of these things outside the engine bay, I'd say it better be a really big engine bay in the Vic!

A small engine this ain't. Combine relatively long connecting rods with OHC (and a counter balancer on top of that!) and she gets a bit tall and wide. I was surprised at the size when swinging around on the hoist. Made my 383 SBC look like a toy.... Let alone the 3.0L Nissan V6 sitting next to it.

Old 01-22-2009, 07:33 PM
Fordfanatic4life
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i used to drive a Gran Marquis..

when i first got it, i didnt clue in why everyone aroudn me was always slowing down or driving the speed limit and being in my way..

finaly a friend of mine pointed it "Dude they think ur a fricken COP"...

man did i laff....ur rite those cars ride super comfy...if i wanted another car, thats what i would buy again..

large enuf inside for actual humans...not like so many cars today.. u put 4 people in there and ur rubbing shoulders together...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: v10 in a hot rod