1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Never before heard of problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 07:16 PM
firstrider
Logistics Pro

Received 119 Likes on 57 Posts
Never before heard of problem

Acquired a bunch of parts last week .Front axel complete drum to drum w/springs .Rear axel drum to drum no springs .Clutch/brake pedal assembly . Steering column with rebuilt box (the reason for the purchase )Had to buy all to get this .Pilot mahagony steering wheel w/ adapter ( in very good shape ) and gas tank . The only remaining parts that are any good are the steering wheel w/ adapter ,new front drums and wheel cylinders , front axel & tie rod ,spindles & hubs ,& new front brake shoes .These parts are available 1st to FTE members or will be put on ebay .The gas tank has a rattle in it so upon further inspection I found the 2 baffles laying in the bottom of it .How this could happen baffles me .I have some ideas on how to correct this .Is it worth it ? Has anyone else come across this problem or should I include it in the trip to the recycler ? Thanks ,Denny

Old 01-21-2009, 10:33 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,792 Likes on 1,824 Posts
Quite a few years ago I was working at a Cadillac dealership, it was not uncommon for cars to come in complaining about a thumping/banging noise from the rear of the cars. The plastic baffles in the tanks would come loose and bang around as the car was driven.
It was no big thing to fix the problem. We'd drop the tank, pull the sending unit, work the baffle back into position on its mounting studs and use some PAL nuts (those one-way snap on nut type doohickeys) to hold it down.

I guess it would all depend on how the baffle was originally tied down. Was it spot welded or bolted down?

Bobby

Old 01-21-2009, 11:25 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
They're spot welded, so I'd bet on them having rusted off, although if someone pressure tested it at too high a pressure, it could have ballooned the tank. I've never heard of it happening before, either.

Old 01-22-2009, 08:02 AM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,792 Likes on 1,824 Posts
If they're spot welded then I guess you're kind of hosed.

Old 01-22-2009, 11:15 AM
thendrix
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think there was a guy on here the other day looking for some extra spindles for a machining project.