The Next Generation For those ages 15-25.

After High School Plans...

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 06:36 PM
bwyer09
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After High School Plans...

I'm a senior in High School and I'm having a pretty tough time figuring out what I want to do in life. I know I want to go to college, but I have no idea what I want to do. I love the farm life, but I also love money and business. Anyone have any similar problems heading into college? Anyone have any recommendations? Thanks.

Old 11-20-2008, 08:53 PM
Ford Stable
Senior User
If you don't mind me interjecting, I'm about 10 years removed from college...but the best advice I ever received was, look at what you love doing now, and apply it to your job. What you're going to have to do is, talk to your high school counselors and see if they can help you determine a couple possible majors and schools they would be offered at, then contact the schools and see if you like the course descriptions and job opportunities available after graduation. There is most definitely something out there for you. I went to NC State, and I can't remember the exact name of the major but it was something like "Agricultural Business Operations." I had a couple buddies do this, and they started out in the 6 figure range working for state ag departments.

Old 11-20-2008, 09:50 PM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Lots of good Agricultural schools will have an Ag Economics or AgriBusiness program. Plus a full line of Ag, Range/ Wildlife, and AgMech programs. We have animal sciences at Tech, kind of a mix of biology and ag.

Colleges usually offer intro classes into a major, kind of an overview of what the program teaches and where you can go with it. Take a couple of these while you take care of all the general ed classes that everyone takes (math, english, poli sci, lab science, etc). The worst that happens is you just padded your GPA with a blow-off class, and maybe you find something you'd like. I had to take a one credit intro to general business, then a one-credit intro to accounting.

The most important part is just go. After a year at school you'll have a much better idea of what you want. Plus some good stories

Old 11-22-2008, 01:08 PM
bwyer09
Junior User
Ford Stable, can you tell me more of what your buddies do? I'm interested.

Old 11-22-2008, 01:36 PM
Ford Stable
Senior User
Originally Posted by bwyer09
Ford Stable, can you tell me more of what your buddies do? I'm interested.

I'm not too sure on the specifics, but one of them basically deals with the state aid budget for farmers...he had a finance minor. The other one is kind of a consultant that helps determine better business practices. Sorry I don't have more specifics, I really haven't talked to either of them in about two years.

Old 11-25-2008, 10:59 AM
4020FarmBoy
Junior User
I see you are here in Ohio. Ohio State has a good ag college. Right now I am at their Agricultural Technical Institute (OSU ATI) in Wooster and will be transferring to main campus for agronomy and livestock science. At ATI there is also a two year ag business degree and a 4 year transfer program to main campus. University of Northwestern Ohio and Wilmington College also have ag business programs but I reccomend OSU.

Old 11-25-2008, 11:04 AM
F-150 NiteMare
Elder User
After HS...Im gonna work on going to Baylor, Miami U, or Florida State..Not sure..

Old 11-26-2008, 09:45 AM
joshc_guitar
Senior User
The best advice I've EVER heard about life and work:

"If you do what you love for a living, you'll never work a day in your life."

Thats why I'm a music major, I could be something like a lawyer and be rich. But, then I'd hate my job for the rest of my life. Instead, one day, (hopefully soon) I'm going to wake up in the morning trudge into work throw on my guitar and jam all day.

Old 11-26-2008, 09:56 AM
1966Tbird
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i'm a business major and i'd like to build motors when i get out of school, dont do business unless you really want to do it, economics is hard as **** so is accounting, there are classes that i have to take knowing i will never ever use this, but classes like accounting i will need to use for my own business. and i am actually going to study/put answers in my calculator for accounting right now i have a test at 2, and don't party/smoke weed too much that will ruin your grades save it for the weekend

Old 11-26-2008, 07:46 PM
Dean88
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm already workin on my associates in wind tech (I'm still a senior as well) by takin night classes. I want a job that can pay for my expensive truck habits and a job that I work with my hands cuz I don't want an inside job, I would go nuts.

Old 01-04-2009, 11:18 PM
cipsmithers
Senior User
Originally Posted by bwyer09
I'm a senior in High School and I'm having a pretty tough time figuring out what I want to do in life. I know I want to go to college, but I have no idea what I want to do. I love the farm life, but I also love money and business. Anyone have any similar problems heading into college? Anyone have any recommendations? Thanks.
Im kinda in the same boat as you. Im a junior and have no clue as to what I wanna do. I do know id rather work in freezing weather, pouring down rain, work my *** off for $20 an hour than sit behind a desk for $30...
But Im not even sure If I wanna go to college. Ive always wanted to log...

Old 01-05-2009, 11:06 AM
big_ford_rednek
Senior User
im going into diesel tech. i start school next year. i love wrenching and i love diesels, and i love big trucks. diesel tech pays alot better than auto techs do. and i totally agree on the
The best advice I've EVER heard about life and work:

"If you do what you love for a living, you'll never work a day in your life."

completely true. i have had jobs that werent what i loved to do and i dreaded going to work. it paid and i did the job but didnt enjoy it i worked, not played. i worked at a shop and i loved every minute of it. i was early every day and stayed late. came in when i didnt have to. it was awesome and i found what i love to do. just my 2 cents

Old 01-07-2009, 11:50 AM
Caleb1
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I love fishing, mudding, and bowling. what could i do as a career?

Old 01-07-2009, 04:49 PM
big_ford_rednek
Senior User
lol.. umm join the pba

Old 01-27-2009, 04:01 AM
highboy87
Senior User
i've been out of high school for three years. and i still don't know what i want. but i don't care really. i've got a bad *** truck, a bad *** job and a bad *** girl. i don't need much else right now.. i'm only 21. i'm not ready to be grown up.

Quick Reply: After High School Plans...