1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

How many bikers are on here?

Old 01-24-2009, 12:51 AM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,778 Likes on 1,819 Posts
Here's a shot of my old bike, a 1981 Honda CB900 Custom. I still have it as I can't bear to get rid of it. I bought it as a wreck for $200 back in the mid 80's, I traded another bike for all the parts to fix it and have put many a mile on it since. It used to be my only transportation.
This is the bike that my buddies all call "The Vista Cruiser". I've had the danged thing all over the western part of this country. I'll probably give it to my son in a year or so.
The CB900 Customs were only made for a few years and have a High/Low gear box behind the tranny...basically it acts like an overdrive. I've had this bike up to 130MPH.....(just once as it scared the heck out of me)

Bobby

Attached Images  
Old 01-24-2009, 01:36 PM
spurredon
Fleet Owner

Received 582 Likes on 522 Posts
I am not a biker, I am a truck guy, but I own two bikes. 73 yamaha tx500 and 82 suzuki gs750. The yamaha is a sentimental kind of thing and the suzuki is cheap, frequent and fun transportation when I know that I don't have to carry too much home! They are both up in the hay mow waiting for nicer times!

Old 01-24-2009, 02:04 PM
SteinDaddy
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a '93 Harley Fatboy and it has been the cause of many a days work not being done on my F100. Hmmm....a nice sunny day. Do I skin my knuckles on the truck, or......

Old 01-24-2009, 06:55 PM
Truxx1956
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

Originally Posted by spurredon
I am not a biker, I am a truck guy, but I own two bikes. 73 yamaha tx500 and 82 suzuki gs750. The yamaha is a sentimental kind of thing and the suzuki is cheap, frequent and fun transportation when I know that I don't have to carry too much home! They are both up in the hay mow waiting for nicer times!

When I posted this, I was kind of using "biker" as a generic term to include "enthusiasts" and etc. I dont really mean the whole MC thing and all, just if you ride or if you just own a really cool bike? Just like there's alot of folks who are not "truckers", but they do own a cool F100.

I wanted to see how many of us have pretty much the same DNA as far as other hobbies and such. A few months back (probably alot of months) there was a post about what kind of music we liked too. These kind of things kind of bring us together even though some of us may never meet. It kind of fills in the gaps

Old 01-24-2009, 08:16 PM
spurredon
Fleet Owner

Received 582 Likes on 522 Posts
"These kind of things kind of bring us together even though some of us may never meet." Well said! That's a very true statement. I feel I know a little about some of you folks just by the way you respond to things. I was just checking in where I was with the whole bike thing.

Some people often associate riding bikes with other things that I am sure you know what I mean. While I definately enjoy riding, it is not really a lifestyle thing for me as some folks chose to have it become. I usually meet some of them at the gas station when the tempurature is warm enough and the roads are perfectly clean and dry enough for them to get their "iron", out. I just stay on my old jap beater and pump my gas and try to leave as quickly as possible as to not destroy their meaningful experience of standing there in their leather and drinking coffee behind there bike and pretending not to look to see if anyone is looking at them! However, that is part of what makes our country great. They are welcome to it if they want and I say more power to them. I just enjoy being a little tounge in cheek from time to time if you know what I mean!

Old 01-24-2009, 08:33 PM
husker
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts
My two younger brothers got into riding bikes when they were real young on the farm and dad bought a small Honda and then a Kawasaki. You know the 50, then 90 or 125. By that time I was pretty well grown and out of the house, so didn't really get into it. The youngest of them now has a nice Harley and he and his wife went to Sturgis this summer. I tease him about the "Wild Hogs" thing.

I have my 54 F250 and 64 Tbird to play with and also do the red neck thing with my beater 78 Bronce going off roading and rock crawling.

I think that those of us that like to wrench on stuff can get into just about anything with a motor and wheels. I have a hankering to find a middle '50's Oliver tractor one of these days to restore. I'd love to have Super 88 Diesel of about '54-'55 vintage. That was the first tractor that I drove a bunch on the farm.

Old 01-24-2009, 09:53 PM
Dirt Boy
Mountain Pass
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
I like to refer to myself as a "motorcyclist" not a "biker." I was never comfortable with the biker image. When I sold my car in 1977 I started riding a Yellow Honda CB400F, it was my only transportation for 4 years. I always wore bright clothing and a white helmet; basic sport bike attire back then.

Lucky me; now the biker image is "in" and everyone hates us sport bike riders!

I'm not surprised at the cool bikes fourm members own and ride; a motor-head's a motor-head.

Transalp, bobbers, gosh I haven't seen a tx500 in years, and the assortment of Harley's; pretty cool.

I think motorcycle engine designers have the more difficult task of designing engines with style and beauty as well as power. My old Norton is (in my eyes) a thing of beauty and grace, artistic balance and awesome power. I love the old 50's style 125cc two strokes, with their little tear-drop transmissions and delicate cooling fins. The early XLCH Sporsters were very pretty machines with that basic-bike look.

Right now we are at the end of a motorcycle sales boom that started in 1992. We may see a decline in the next few years, but the technoligy of today's motorcycles is un-real. ie. The new V-Max, get this; 195 HP Yep, no joke, a 195 horse power, 1900cc V Four. It's ..............INSANE! Therefore, a perfect motorcycle for someone, not me, but someone who really, really, really likes to accelorate!

Me, I love sport bikes but at 66 I can't lean forward all day anymore. So, I decided on an old-man's sport bike. My Aprilia is 1000cc V-Twin sport bike from the seat down, but the bars are from a dirt bike; they're higher and wider than a true sport bike. I sit slightly leaned forward so it's quite comfortable for extended riding. And, when the sprit moves me, it flat gets it!

DB

Old 01-25-2009, 12:11 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 606 Likes on 377 Posts
Hey DirtBoy, you've hit the nail on the head!

The bike that really got me back into biking was this Triumph Daytona, 955cc 142 HP triple, 6-sp trans, killer chassis. The torque and power of these modern bikes is simply unbelievable!! But like you, I just couldn't ride more than 15 minutes with all that weight on my wrists...So I switched to a Triumph Legend and then to a Triumph Trophy, before settling back into the Harley models. I do love the craftsmanship of the Aprilia's and Triumphs, both are works of art IMO!

I do hate sport-bike riders who do wheelies in traffic, stand on their seats, and generally break the sound barrier on public roads. Fortunately, the guilty parties are dying off pretty quickly, in what can only be a validation of the Darwin Principle!

Attached Images  
Old 01-25-2009, 08:36 PM
Glenn O
Freshman User
I too like to spend time on the open road with the wind in my face just me and my bike. I purchased my 04 Honda Shadow in April of 08. This purchase has came between me and my project somewhat but its something I enjoy doing when the family permits. Im not sure how to get the picture on this forum but I do have pictures in my gallery. Its good to know that we as truck builders-enthusiasts have a whole lot more in comon the we may know. Thanks and best wishes to all.

Old 01-25-2009, 08:49 PM
ma115
Junior User
I have an '03 Suzuki Volusia, to go along with my '53 F100 and my '55 Ch&vy. what fun would 2 wheels be if we didn't do al little modding. A buddy of mine made up a set of brackets to mount an inner and outer fairing from a '02 Electra Glide on it. I handled making the mounts for hard saddle bags and a King Tour Pak. I call it my Voulsia Glide!

I'll be in Naples, Fl in February for a week of touring southern Florida. Hope I can talk the misses into a trip to Key West.

Mark

Old 02-07-2009, 02:28 PM
Roadkinghi
Freshman User
Count me in... Roadking and Elec. Classic...

Old 02-07-2009, 07:50 PM
49fordpickumup
Elder User
Biker

Riding for 55 years, cushman (the BOX) to Triumph 650/ many Honda 750's/ Kawasaki 900/ HD sportster/HD/HD/HD's forever. Just sold HD chopper, getting older, looking for a good used Electra or Road King. (Prices have been good lately). I've ridden something every year, except my year in Vietnam. Two bad wrecks, helmet saved my life both times, just lucky. You know who looks out for drunks and bikers or is drunk bikers, oh well. chuck

Old 02-08-2009, 09:40 PM
52 panel
Senior User
Originally Posted by Truxx1956
I was just wondering since we're talking about a cruise for the FTE'ers out there, how many of us on here are bikers too? I know it aint got nothing to do with trucks, but some of us are into bikes too Maybe we can share some riding routes? Or cruising routes for old F100's?
I'm a biker, too. We have some good back country roads here in the Florida Panhandle, south Alabama, and Mississippi. Great cruising for fat fender types as well.

Old 02-10-2009, 06:12 PM
59dumper
Freshman User
me 2 79 yamaha 750 special. gotta be old if u wanna have fun driving/riding

Old 02-10-2009, 08:45 PM
jm ray
Senior User
still riding

count me in . started on a lil indian when i was 4. got my shovel head when i was 15. i am 41 now and the harley runs better than ever. also ride a kx-250 like a wild man. never been without something to run the crap out of. even had 250-r [2-stroke] 3 wheelers and lived.so i guess it is 37 out of 41 years.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How many bikers are on here?