1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks
View Poll Results: Would you be interested in a coast to coast cruise?
Yeah, sounds great, I'd go the whole distance.
6.06%
Yeah, sounds great, I'd just go part of the way.
51.52%
Sounds great, but I can only meet locally
36.36%
This sounds like a logistical nightmare! No way it works!
6.06%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Coast to Coast cruise-interested?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 01:07 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
Coast to Coast cruise-interested?

There is a post asking what the longest trip you've ever taken in your old Ford. It got me thinking about a coast to coast cruise. What I envision is a somewhat mapped out course that can be posted here and whoever wants to join in or leave at any point. I think I'm like many here, I can't afford the time or money to do a coast to coast but I would like to maybe join for 100-200 miles and then go back home. Maybe there could be a map posted of the proposed route and you could just jump in wherever/wherever you feel like.

I'm thinking maybe if you can't join in full blown, maybe you're truck isn't finished or you just don't have the means, you could meet the group if it comes close enough to your location. You could also help with recommendations on hotels, camp grounds, restaurants and other points of interest.

It's not too early to start something up. Suggest a route(s). Maybe start at two east coast locations and head west, meet up somewhere, split off, one group goes south, the other toward the north. Maybe even have a group or two start from the west and work their way east. I don't know, these are just a few thoughts I had. It might be a logistical nightmare but it's something to do. I for one won't be able to do much but if some came my way I would like to meet up and could offer suggestions of decent places to go.

<b>NOTE:</b> I made this a public poll so members could see who could do it and maybe start member discussing a variation among each other. If you think it's a bad idea I would like to know. There's been some ideas on this board that I thought were, well, kind of strange so be honest.

Old 01-18-2009, 01:25 PM
59flatbedford
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
well it would be pretty cool to see a bunch of old fords cruising down the hi way for sure

Old 01-18-2009, 01:50 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
I'm in for part of it!

A bike club I used to belong to did it this way and it allowed the most people to participate: Parallel routes from the far NE towards St Louis, and from the far SE to St Louis, and diverging from there to SoCal and the Pac NW. (I'm using St Louis as an example, but it's very central). People can ride for a while on one leg of the "X" and return or continue. Less travel to get to a leg of the "X" than if there's only one route straight across. West Coast people can ride East first then return with folks continuing that way from the East. At the center of the "X" there's a big party!

Just a suggestion...

Attached Images  
Old 01-18-2009, 02:00 PM
homade
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm liking the sound of this, if not all the way from st. louis at least to Albuq, n m, what a blast that would be, Garry

Old 01-18-2009, 02:04 PM
LiftTech
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I like the X idea.

Old 01-18-2009, 02:25 PM
Brian_B
Postmaster
I don't know if it would work because of the economic situation that a lot of us find ourselves in now. It is a great idea, if it could come together.

If it works..I could possibly tag along for a while, but no way could I do an sort of long distance run. I just don't have the means to do so.

Are you thinking this coming summer, sometime off in the future, what?

Old 01-18-2009, 02:35 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Brain,

Same here. I, like everyone else, don't know what the next couple of months, or years, are going to be. I just think that something like this could be more affordable than a long trip across country. If all we could had to do is drive 100-200 miles I don't think it would be that bad. If it could be arrange that the course could be wide enough so even those of us who can't travel far cold just meet for a day I think it would be fun.

I like Ross's idea, that way the choices of meeting spots could be available for more members. I don't know if it could be done but it's worth a thought. There are members better at figuring logistics than I am so maybe they can contribute and let us know the pros and cons.

Old 01-18-2009, 03:26 PM
Truxx1956
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

I think its a GREAT idea!!! I like many of you dont have the means or time to do the whole thing, but would love to do part of it and meet more of you great FTE guys. We had a ball in PF last year when we got together!! This site ROCKS!!!

Old 01-18-2009, 03:29 PM
dave boley
Posting Guru
I like the "X" route thing too. It looks to me as though the NE to SW leg of the "X" would roughly work out from around DC in the NE and go down through a major portion of the old Route 66 path to it's end at the Pacific in California. I suppose you would have to work out which was the best beginning and end sides for both legs and maybe some big event at the cross roads. Someplace like St. Louis. It's a good central point and it's the Gateway to the west. Maybe someone could organize a truck show and swap meet there.

I don't know why I am participating in this thread other than I find it interesting. There is no way I would have anything ready for two years. Of course it might take that long to organize it. Hopefully it could build in interest and be an annual event. The idea of people breaking in and out of the event would probably make it much more of a reality because I think very few of us can find the time and money to do the whole trip. There almost has to be some sanctioning body involved. That would probably be one of the hardest things to get. I imagine the FTE would be great for that but getting them to do it might be impossible. Of course it would be easy for them to set up a special forum for this. Anyone you approach is going to say "What's in it for me?" However, don't let that stop the planning because you just never know how these things are going to work out. It might help if people from other forums here were invited to participate. There are a lot of unique Ford trucks out there besides the '48 to '60 models.

Good Luck...

Old 01-18-2009, 04:23 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Originally Posted by dave boley
It might help if people from other forums here were invited to participate. There are a lot of unique Ford trucks out there besides the '48 to '60 models.
There is?

Old 01-18-2009, 04:33 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,833 Likes on 1,833 Posts
Sounds cool! I'd only be able to do a small leg of it as well. If it ever gets set up I'd dang sure try to participate if the route was close enough

Bobby

Old 01-18-2009, 04:37 PM
55 f350
Post Fiend
most likely only a leg right now but yep me and the furd wanna do it !!! dont know about the other half though ...........oh well..........

Old 01-18-2009, 05:09 PM
Lakotas53
Laughing Gas
Hey this is a great idea! I too don't have a truck ready yet but looks like the Washington to Georgia route would come right thru my home town or real close. Lots of camp grounds in this area and hotels. It would be good to meet up and spend the day meeting some of you fine folks. A Bike club I belong to does routes like this also and they post the route and people respond along the route by private IM's their cell number and if someone gets in trouble and needs tools, trailers, directions or just what ever they can call someone in that area. Hope this works out......

Old 01-18-2009, 06:11 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Dare I suggest that it doesn't matter what you drive, only that you're there? Not all of us are completely "on the road" yet. A few minivans full of spares couldn't hurt

Old 01-18-2009, 06:26 PM
LEckart
Posting Guru
Sounds like a great idea. I don't know what is happening in St. Louis but we consider Kansas City the Heartland of the U.S. pretty much in the center. There are a few car/truck shows in the area that might be considered for the "X" meeting point:

Goodguys in Des Moines, IA, July 3-5

The Branson F100 show that Brian mentioned, July 10-12

Gooduys in Kansas City, September 4-6

The Midwest All Truck Nationals in Kansas City, September 11-13

And I suppose there are others to consider.

Quick Reply: Coast to Coast cruise-interested?