1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

2 post lift/shop pix added to gallery

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 12:39 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
Originally Posted by 49willard
Bob, When you say "block that out" do you mean backspace it out or delete the highlighted "http://". I tried both. Then when I right click and hit paste all I get is "http://".
Making the parts is easier than posting pictures I think!
Bill, I think I know what you were doing. First, you copied the URL of your image. Then you started your post and when you got the URL insertion window your blocked out the "http://" and clicked on "Cut". When you click on "Cut" you replace the information you previously copied with the information you just cut. You have to make sure you click on "Delete", this will allow the first information to still be saved in the computer's memory. Try blocking the "http://" and hitting "Delete", then click "Paste". You can also just block the "http://" and then hit "Paste". Make sure the last thing you copied was the URL of the image you want to post.

Old 01-18-2009, 01:43 PM
49willard
Cargo Master
Received 124 Likes on 63 Posts
Bob, I never get the opportunity to paste no matter what I seem to do. I have come at about every way that I can think of. The key is that I can never get the url pasted into the screen the pops up in my upper left when I right click on on the picture in my gallery. I can't grab it, drag it or kidnap it. I even tried typing in the url directly-no luck. I must be even more computer challenged than I originally thought!
I never get anything that says "cut" either.
Thanks for your help. I must be a hopeless case.

Old 01-18-2009, 01:51 PM
49willard
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by homade
That looks great,must be nice to have big pockets just full of cash, ever thought about adopting, will help work on your toys, have own tool, Ha Ha, Garry
Gary, I certainly do not have big pockets of cash (but that would be nice). I bought the lift used and cleaned it up and painted it. The ceiling design/truss design modification, framing, sheetrock, lift disassembly, lift installation and final painting was done by yours truly (which is standard modus operandi for me). I hired some young muscle to work with me overhead setting the 16' 2 x 6's and hanging the sheetrock but I usually will out work them-it is my job after all.
Now it is on to the real work.

Old 01-18-2009, 02:27 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Bill,

I'm not a computer guru by any means, I just fumble around until I find what works. I have two computers, one at home and one at my shop. I bought both of them from the same place, less than six month apart, set up the same way and they both have different quirks. It seems that I have to do some things differently on each of them so I'm guessing your computer might not work in the same manner as mine. I am running a PC with XP and Internet Explorer, your system most likely has different components and different versions of software than mine so it might operate differently than mine. There are just too many variables to know exactly what has to be done. I suggest that you just keep playing around until you stumble on to the right procedure.

Old 01-18-2009, 03:47 PM
Holmsey
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great to see some photos of your garage Bill love the lift.

I was offered a 4 poster lift a few year back £150/$225 was a big strong set up took my F100 no trouble. But I had to say no as I didnt fancy raising the roof in my garage and also would of filled it width wise.

Great when you can do all the work yourself you can have some cool kit, Nice one!

Old 01-18-2009, 04:18 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
$225! If we weren't 4,000 miles, and an ocean apart, I'd come and get it myself!

Old 01-18-2009, 04:30 PM
49willard
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by bobj49f2
$225! If we weren't 4,000 miles, and an ocean apart, I'd come and get it myself!
We need to get Dave (Holmsey) to post some pictures on the forum of his truck. He did a fantastic job. I followed a website that had a lot of detail on the build (it was great!) but it became necessary to pull the build off the website. Dave is running his truck with the Jag XJ IFS AND IRS.
What do you say Dave?

Old 01-18-2009, 06:35 PM
birdman1
Elder User

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Great job Bill..sure beats a creeper any day. You have what we all want now.
thanks for sharing the pix
later Mike

Old 01-18-2009, 07:41 PM
WALFORD'S 56
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Right underneath my wife's Avanti is where I would put my lift. Here is another try at the pics.

Old 01-18-2009, 07:42 PM
WALFORD'S 56
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OK-- Thanks Bob. I see where my mistake was. Now how do you make it bigger?

Old 01-18-2009, 10:39 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Bill,

I think you may be using the thumbnail image on the posting site. Try clicking on the image to bring up the full size picture, then right click on the full image,get the URL and use that.

Old 01-19-2009, 07:19 AM
49willard
Cargo Master

Bob, Another try on a new day!!! I was fumbling as you suggested and just not fumbling correctly yesterday! Thanks for all of your help.

Old 01-20-2009, 10:48 PM
frankcowan
Senior User
Bill you did a fantastic job raising the ceiling and the lift looks great. I have considered getting one. How about a little more about the lift... make, model, how much weight it holds, how high it lifts, how thick does the concrete need to be, did you install and how (what steps). Did you consider a four post and why did you decide on the two post? Frank

Old 01-21-2009, 07:00 AM
49willard
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by frankcowan
Bill you did a fantastic job raising the ceiling and the lift looks great. I have considered getting one. How about a little more about the lift... make, model, how much weight it holds, how high it lifts, how thick does the concrete need to be, did you install and how (what steps). Did you consider a four post and why did you decide on the two post? Frank
Frank, Excellent questions. You are asking all of the same questions that I asked myself. Let me start with being low $ was important and I wanted an american made lift if at all possible. To my knowledge the last truly american built lift is a Mohawk. Great lift (my son's lift at work is a Mohawk) however VERY pricey. The good news is that the flood of the cheaper china built lifts has significantly lowered the prices of used lifts, mostly american built. My lift is a used 8000# Rotary. I missed one at $1000 and paid $1200 (more than I really want to pay but I am not disappointed in the lift). It was a together operating lift that I found on Craigs list and got to test drive before I bought it. I bought it from a garage that had it in a corner and it was not being used much but kept in good operating condition. I disassembled it with a lift tech hired by the seller who had maintained the lift for the seller for a number of years (I bought his lunch-I got a lot of good free tips).
I went through the 2 post or 4 post decision process and talked to others both hobbiest and shop owners that I know. In the end to me it boiled down to get a 4 post lift if you really want to use it for additional storage (one under and one on the lift). If storage is not the reason and you really want it to work on your vehicles then go with a 2 post. That said there are a lot of guys that are happy working on their vehicles with the 4 post.
the 4 post is easier to install, can be mounted on questionable floors and can be easily moved within the shop. Most guys do not bolt them to the floor.
The lift manufacturers vary a little in their floor requirements for a
2 post installation. I had poured my shop floor 15 years ago. It is a 6 inch floor with rebar on 12" centers with chopped fiberglass in the mix. In retrospect, I wished that I had gotten a 4000# rather than 3000# concrete. I would not want less than 5 " of 3000# concrete.
If I remember correctly I have nine 3/4" Redhead concrete anchor bolts in each of the 2 columns. I rented a commerical drill with a 3/4 bit to drill the holes. Drilling time about 45 minutes-cost about $20 for rental-4 hour minimum. You drill all the way thru the floor. That does 2 things, it verifies concrete depth and if you ever want to move the lift you just drive the anchors down into the gravel under the floor and make them flush or below.
Lift specs will tell you lift height. I can just walk under the arms on mine without ducking at all. I am 5' 10". The vehicle will be higher than the arms.
You did not ask specifically about raising the ceiling. That was over 95% of the whole job. I could have installed the lift alone but had a friends help to position the posts. I rigged and moved them with my engine hoist. The friend just stabilized the columns from swinging while moving and then helped me set the top structure (upside down U) on the columns.
The above may be more than you wanted.
It is a great tool!

Old 01-21-2009, 11:28 PM
frankcowan
Senior User
Bill thanks for the information. I built my shop with the idea that I would put a lift in sometime in the future. Poured the floor at 6 inches fiber concrete with rebar as you described. But haven't decided if 2 or 4 post is the solution. Its great that you got to see the lift work before you bought it and that you got the tech to help. That is very reassuring. There have been several used lifts listed here on craiglist but they have been disassembled and I am not comfortable with not know they work. 8000 # will allow you to lift some pretty large vehicles. How about some pics with your truck in the air?

Quick Reply: 2 post lift/shop pix added to gallery