1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

smoke switch

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 01:46 AM
CarolinaMafia
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
smoke switch

has anyone heard about this smoke switch before and you have will it work on our year trucks

Old 01-18-2009, 05:53 AM
RubberDuck
Logistics Pro

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
There is no such thing for our trucks. Only way to get smoke is tuner, and or injectors.

Old 01-18-2009, 07:19 AM
Fullcrew7.3
Logistics Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've got one. I call it the accelerator pedal.

Old 01-18-2009, 02:44 PM
joe_13894
Posting Guru
Preparing for earth day?

Old 01-18-2009, 05:05 PM
dieselaholic
Senior User
I think is what you are talking about is what i would call the MAP sensor. its located on the firewall on the riders side. It will have 1 tube going to it and an electrical plug. If you unplug this plug it will smoke more but its going to kill your mileage some. Hence blowing smoke is lost power. Its by no means the proper way to do it but if you want to blow smoke it will do that. However a "smoke switch" their is no such thing.

Old 01-18-2009, 06:01 PM
RubberDuck
Logistics Pro

Holic, that doesn't work on our trucks like a second Gen Dodge. If you unplug the map on our trucks, the PCM doesn't see boost, and won't fuel.

Old 01-18-2009, 06:47 PM
dieselaholic
Senior User
Rubberduck im not callin you out here im just askin questions. Why does the ecm need to see boost to give fuel? Wouldnt you just have lose of boost? Is what im trying to say is shouldnt it run just not with as much power and less mileage? I have never done it to my 96' but i have done it on a 95 and it had lack of power and less mileage but it blew more smoke.

Old 01-18-2009, 09:20 PM
RubberDuck
Logistics Pro

It's no problem holic, they are good questions. I'm just going on my experience and also what happens alot on here. From my personal perspective, I've done several injector installs where my dum azz forgot to plug the map line back in. And in doing so, the truck ran extremely sluggish and the only reason they smoked is because of a fresh injector install. And after putting a few miles on them, the smoke quit, and the power never came on until I finally realized I had done it again. LOL

But also, you will catch threads on here where people have a huge loss in power and the end result is a bad map, or map line. But I don't ever recall them saying it smoked more. So that's what I'm basing my answers on. But we all know, every case is different. And your truck may have smoked when it was unplugged. I'm just saying I haven't seen it. But I have seen some of my Dodge guys unplug their maps and blow huge black smoke. And don't worry about callin me out. If you can prove me wrong, that means I learn something new. And I'm definatly not too bigheaded to say I'm wrong. This is what a good forum is all about.

Old 01-18-2009, 10:54 PM
c00nhunterjoe
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
definatly wont work on our trucks, if you unplug the map and it runs better then its because your map was bad. we have different programing and differnet sensors then the dodge's and a totaly different injection system. what works on one wont work on another.

Old 01-18-2009, 11:08 PM
BlueMule
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by RubberDuck
that doesn't work on our trucks like a second Gen Dodge.
CODY..........you been over on that Cummins forum again???????

Old 01-19-2009, 05:16 AM
RubberDuck
Logistics Pro

Rodney, I will admit I'm guilty of spending some time on CF lately. Their chat is fun.

Old 01-19-2009, 08:00 AM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

No shame in that! I have had to spend some time there as well. Working on a 05 CR that I need to learn about.

Old 01-19-2009, 08:21 AM
KevinC.
Elder User
Originally Posted by c00nhunterjoe
definatly wont work on our trucks, if you unplug the map and it runs better then its because your map was bad. we have different programing and differnet sensors then the dodge's and a totaly different injection system. what works on one wont work on another.
This happened to my truck, was running really sluggish so I unplugged the MAP and it ran like it never had before. Havent replaced it yet, but I did plug it back in. One question, if it was/is that bad wouldnt I have thrown a CEL? I did when I unplugged it.

Old 01-19-2009, 08:28 AM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Originally Posted by KevinC.
This happened to my truck, was running really sluggish so I unplugged the MAP and it ran like it never had before. Havent replaced it yet, but I did plug it back in. One question, if it was/is that bad wouldnt I have thrown a CEL? I did when I unplugged it.
I have seen a bad MAP sensor just like your many times and they never seem to set a CEL

Old 01-19-2009, 08:40 AM
BlueMule
Posting Guru
Cody
Yeah I saw your valve adjustment post over there last night. I can't do chat rooms. Two finger typing ain't fast enough to keep up with a conversation.

Kevin
When the MAP is unplugged it sets a CEL because the PCM doesn't get a signal. With a bad MAP the PCM still gets a signal even if it's the wrong one.

Quick Reply: smoke switch