1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extang Dealer Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 04:44 PM
5.4L to Freedom
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Extang Dealer Anyone?

So I have another problem with my Extang tonneau cover, and i'm afraid to call extang and describe the problem because they might call it an act of god and not cover it under warranty.

Where I'm at in MI it's been around 8-10 below farenheit without windchill, with wind chill its been around 15-28 below for about the past week or so. I brushed the snow off my tonneau cover (i'm **** about snow on my vehicle while driving) and noticed the vinyl is pealing off the canvas beneath. After a closer look the vinyl is cracked and splitting everywhere the tonneau moves while driving due to the wind pushing down on the back and lifting the front up.

Is there any Extang dealers that are willing to help me get this replaced under my warranty? I can post pictures to show the damage is not because of me being a moron.

Hope someone can help, thanks guys!

Old 01-17-2009, 04:47 PM
bubbasz1
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Extang is made in Ann Arbor(last time I checked) I hear there pretty good, give them a call.

Old 01-17-2009, 05:09 PM
5.4L to Freedom
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by bubbasz1
Extang is made in Ann Arbor(last time I checked) I hear there pretty good, give them a call.
I had about 3 inches of ice build up on the cover and collapse one of the supports, when I called them they told me that "was an act of god" and sure enough their warranty has an act of god clause in it.

I started a thread titled "$@#& Extang" about it and a lot of the guys that were dealers sounded astonished! I'm thinkin they'll treat a dealer better than they treated me

Old 01-17-2009, 05:47 PM
ReAX
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not one anymore, or I would. Try DriverFX.com and search for a local dealer.

Old 01-17-2009, 05:52 PM
5.4L to Freedom
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by ReAX
I'm not one anymore, or I would. Try DriverFX.com and search for a local dealer.
In your opinion does this sound like something they'll cover under warranty?

Old 01-17-2009, 05:55 PM
johnny567
Senior User
I was thinking about an extang cover.......not anymore.

Old 01-17-2009, 05:59 PM
ReAX
Post Fiend
If the tarp is a year or so old, they wouldn't get the chance to say no to me. On the dealer side, I don't think they've ever told me act of god and I have replaced one tarp. The tarps do have a lesser warranty than the frames. I think the platnum frame was life time and the black max frame was 10 years. The tarps were 5 years I believe. If you have paper work saying it's within warranty, or a dealer who will work for you business, then it shouldn't be a problem.

Old 01-18-2009, 04:18 PM
5.4L to Freedom
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by johnny567
I was thinking about an extang cover.......not anymore.
I would not recommend one to anybody... under any circumstance. The price is good, but i've had every single piece but the actual side frame give me trouble in one way shape or form.

Old 01-19-2009, 09:51 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 297 Likes on 156 Posts
It can't hurt to call, not give any personal information, and just ask the question, "is this covered by warranty".

Old 01-19-2009, 02:57 PM
jeff5581
New User
Extang = trouble

Originally Posted by 5.4L to Freedom
I would not recommend one to anybody... under any circumstance. The price is good, but i've had every single piece but the actual side frame give me trouble in one way shape or form.
I could not agree more- i threw my last one out!! Ive used Access tonneaus on my last 2 trucks and they have been awesome. got mine from capandhitch.com for about $450 and had it in about 2 days! Installed in my drive way in about 20 minutes. had it on for 2 1/2 years and have had NO problems whatsoever with it.

Jeff

Old 01-19-2009, 03:01 PM
johnny567
Senior User
thanks for the info, I have a lebra brand tonneau now, it`s been ok but is starting to sag & hold water and has never really been easy to put on.

Old 01-19-2009, 05:04 PM
jeff5581
New User
Originally Posted by johnny567
thanks for the info, I have a lebra brand tonneau now, it`s been ok but is starting to sag & hold water and has never really been easy to put on.
Call the guys at capandhitch.com. They are local to me and have ALWAYS taken good care of me. the rollups are NIGHT AND DAY better.

Old 01-19-2009, 05:24 PM
beeser
Tuned
5.4L to Freedom - You may want to approach the cover replacement from a different angle. Why not contact your insurance company? If it's indeed an "act of God" then it should be included under your comprehensive coverage. I wouldn't be too upset with Extang. If a tree limb fell on the cover would you expect them to replace it? That may be a stretch from your circumstance but maybe not far from it if the weather has been unusually cold. Hope it works out for you.

As an aside, I had an Extang cover on my last vehicle for just shy of 5 years. It almost looked like new when I sold the vehicle. Granted our climate here San Diego is much milder and my truck was always stored inside but it exceeded my expectations nonetheless.

Old 01-19-2009, 09:57 PM
5.4L to Freedom
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by beeser
5.4L to Freedom - You may want to approach the cover replacement from a different angle. Why not contact your insurance company? If it's indeed an "act of God" then it should be included under your comprehensive coverage. I wouldn't be too upset with Extang. If a tree limb fell on the cover would you expect them to replace it? That may be a stretch from your circumstance but maybe not far from it if the weather has been unusually cold. Hope it works out for you.

As an aside, I had an Extang cover on my last vehicle for just shy of 5 years. It almost looked like new when I sold the vehicle. Granted our climate here San Diego is much milder and my truck was always stored inside but it exceeded my expectations nonetheless.
I appreciate the alternate train of thought... fresh ideas are great. I wouldn't have thunk to go that route, however at the moment it won't work. I got $500 comp deductible and had $7900 worth of comp work done in the past 6 months. Figure I better leave the insurance comapny alone for a while if possible. But thanks for the idea