Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Other Ford Engines > 4 Cylinder Engines
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-16-2009, 08:53 PM
Elder User

mattri is starting off with a positive reputation.
When did rangers get MAF?

What year did the 2.3 in the rangers get MAF? Thanks, Matt.
Old 01-17-2009, 01:15 PM
Super Moderator

TigerDan has a superb reputationTigerDan has a superb reputationTigerDan has a superb reputationTigerDan has a superb reputationTigerDan has a superb reputationTigerDan has a superb reputationTigerDan has a superb reputationTigerDan has a superb reputationTigerDan has a superb reputationTigerDan has a superb reputationTigerDan has a superb reputation
1990 I believe...

Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Old 01-17-2009, 04:09 PM
New User

lil red ranger is starting off with a positive reputation.
hate to sound dumb but since I have a 90, what is the MAF?
lil red ranger
Old 01-17-2009, 04:45 PM
Elder User

In the early fuel injected trucks the computer metered the velocity of the air being fed into the engine, this system was called SDFI speed density fuel injection.
Later generations used the total volume of air as a baseline for the computer, this system is called MAF mass air flow. As a general rule- not to start any flames- the later MAF system is easier to tune, more accepting of mods.
That's my understanding anyhow, Matt.
Old 01-18-2009, 09:49 AM
New User

Thanks Mattri,
Mass Air Flow I heard of, Not up to the abbreviations I guess.
Old days had mechanical blowers and chargers for power ,guess the computer stuff loses me.
lil red ranger
Old 01-18-2009, 12:30 PM
Elder User

I hear ya man. Been torn between going old school with a carb no comp or trying to tune around a computer, good and bad to both I guess.
Old 01-18-2009, 02:19 PM
New User

Glad to know I am not alone in the "old school " part.
That is exactly what I am trying to do.
My 2.3 rebuild block is from an 88 mustang, (best I can info find so far) It was rebuilt with no intention of computer stuff, just like old school motors. It is carb'd and I want to put it in my 90 ranger so I am trying to find out how to get rid of the computer or just kill it so it won't interfere with lights, gauges, and stuff I still need.
lil red ranger
Old 01-19-2009, 01:29 PM
Post Fiend

Conanski has much to be proud ofConanski has much to be proud ofConanski has much to be proud ofConanski has much to be proud ofConanski has much to be proud ofConanski has much to be proud ofConanski has much to be proud ofConanski has much to be proud ofConanski has much to be proud of
Our '90 ranger is MAF.

The MAF system is very adaptable to performance upgrades, you literally just add parts and let the computer learn how much fuel needs to be added to compensate for additinal airflow. Of course there are limits, if you do enough to the motor to exceed the fuel supply requirements of the stock injectors or pump then a some additional work is required. In this case you could employ a tuner, or a MAF meter that is scaled to larger injectors with a custom sampling tube, the Mustang guys have been using this trick for years and it works pretty good as long as the jump in injector size isn't too large.

1990 5.0HO AOD XLT X-Cab F150 3.55LS, 1994 3.0L 5-sp x-cab Ranger 3.45, 2004 3.0L 5-sp X-cab Ranger Edge 4.10, 2004 2.5L 5-spd Subaru Legacy
1996 Kawasaki ZX11D, 2004 Honda 599, 2008 Kawasaki KLR650
Old 01-20-2009, 10:10 AM
Posting Guru

jimdandy has a good reputation on FTE.jimdandy has a good reputation on FTE.jimdandy has a good reputation on FTE.
California, and 4.0's had maf in 1990. The rest got maf in 1991.jd
Old 01-20-2009, 10:10 AM