6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Up pipe mod.

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 04:27 PM
fordmustangfan67
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Up pipe mod.

How many of you guys here are using a sneaky pipe here on there 05 and up trucks? Did you buy the pipe from elite or did you mod your stock one? Is this very hard to replace? What needs to be removed in order to get to it? Any side effects to doing this mod? Can I leave the EGR valve in and plugged in or I need to do anything else? Thanks for the help guys.

Old 01-16-2009, 04:40 PM
UGA33
Lead Driver

Received 128 Likes on 65 Posts
Old 01-16-2009, 05:03 PM
hangon2me
Senior User
I am running the Elite Diesel up-pipe myself (EGR blocker plate installed), it looks exactly like the factory equipment. Installation takes about 2-3 hours and a second hand to help align the bolts. Leave the EGR plugged in for factory appearance. The EGR is now blocked and no exhaust flow, no cooler failure, no heating issues to the Right head and best of all no more exhaust into the intake manifold clogging up the engine!

Old 01-16-2009, 09:22 PM
06silvercrew
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by hangon2me
I am running the Elite Diesel up-pipe myself (EGR blocker plate installed), it looks exactly like the factory equipment. Installation takes about 2-3 hours and a second hand to help align the bolts. Leave the EGR plugged in for factory appearance. The EGR is now blocked and no exhaust flow, no cooler failure, no heating issues to the Right head and best of all no more exhaust into the intake manifold clogging up the engine!

Its a START, but as for "no cooler failure", so not true. The cooler is still in tact and completley capable of leaking.. The coolant flow needs to be taken out of the picture to be completley "safe"

Old 01-17-2009, 12:18 PM
hangon2me
Senior User
Originally Posted by 06silvercrew
Its a START, but as for "no cooler failure", so not true. The cooler is still in tact and completley capable of leaking.. The coolant flow needs to be taken out of the picture to be completley "safe"
Yes true, the EGR cooler still can fail (so can the rest of the cooling system). I have never seen or heard of one to fail after the EGR is blocked at the up-pipe. I have been looking for threads where the EGR cooler has failed after the up-pipe was blocked off, I have not found any, have you found any I would like to read them.

Old 01-17-2009, 01:41 PM
06silvercrew
Posting Guru
No I do agree that the risk is alot less with the hot exhaust out of the picture. But, when another cooling component fails it doesnt pump coolant into the combustion chambers. IMO its not worth even messing with it unless your gonna do it all. Just blocking exhaust flow is a band-aid at best. Its like changing your oil but not your filter. Yeah its better off then it was but still not done right.

Old 01-17-2009, 06:47 PM
HeavyAssault
Cargo Master
Received 203 Likes on 109 Posts
hangon2me: Okay there's two options right? Mod the pipe or do the full delete. IF you mod the pipe and the cooler fails you got more work and money to spend.

I modded my pipe thousands of miles ago, my cooler is doing just fine......$.02.

Old 01-17-2009, 11:15 PM
mylesdixon
Freshman User
Ya, I agree do the whole delete, I started by doing the up-pipe from elite (strait pipe) in hopes that it would solve my puking problem out the dugas bottle, but I soon discovered that it still pukes. When I took my EGR valve out and looked in the intake, I saw fluid. I assume it's coolant from a cracked EGR. So I ordered the complete bypass from Elite and will install it next week when the ARP's go on...

Old 01-18-2009, 09:29 AM
fordmustangfan67
Mountain Pass
In your case you already have a problem with the egr cooler leaking, but I think the argument is that if you don't have that problem then the chances of that happening are reduced greatly. Since the hot exhaust won't be traveling through the cooler anymore, the welds that have been cracking should have a lot better chance of holding up, right? At least that what I understand.

For you guys that have just modded the up pipe, did it give you a CEL? I used to unplug the EGR valve but have started plugging it back in after reading more about it. When I did that it never had the light on, it just gave me a code. Didn't know if the lack of any flow through the valve would cause a light. I have an '05 truck if that matters.

Old 01-18-2009, 09:36 AM
mylesdixon
Freshman User
I have a SCT tuner, Eric at Innovative diesel turns off the EGR valve in the tuner. No codes with my tuner. I believe that you can get a code from just doing the pipe, at least that is what Elite diesel puts on there website next to the EGR pipes.

Hope this helps.

Old 01-18-2009, 09:44 AM
04F-250mark
Senior User
Cel

I'm thinking on installing a block off plate sience mine doesn't have the scoop in the up pipe.I've read that some trucks will throw a code with the block off plate.How could I get around this just saying my truck throws a code??? Preferably without a tuner I like the stock power the truck makes.
any help would be appreciated

Old 01-18-2009, 09:54 AM
mylesdixon
Freshman User
If I remember correctly, I don't think an 04 will throw a code by plugging the up-pipe bypass to the EGR cooler. Although, I'm not 100% sure. Call Innovative Diesel or Elite Diesel they both would be able to give you your best options.

Old 01-18-2009, 03:34 PM
fordf150guy
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 04F-250mark
I'm thinking on installing a block off plate sience mine doesn't have the scoop in the up pipe.I've read that some trucks will throw a code with the block off plate.How could I get around this just saying my truck throws a code??? Preferably without a tuner I like the stock power the truck makes.
any help would be appreciated

and let us know what you find out...i'm wondering the same with my 04 and will probably be doing this mod in a week (just the plug).

Old 01-18-2009, 04:48 PM
06silvercrew
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by fordf150guy
and let us know what you find out...i'm wondering the same with my 04 and will probably be doing this mod in a week (just the plug).

Yeah and while your at it, change your oil but NOT your oil filter. Could save you $18 on the filter. Yeah its not how it should be done but hey its better then not changing it at all right?

You guys are wasting your time and money with just the plug, but what do I know.

Old 01-18-2009, 05:55 PM
fordmustangfan67
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by 06silvercrew
Yeah and while your at it, change your oil but NOT your oil filter. Could save you $18 on the filter. Yeah its not how it should be done but hey its better then not changing it at all right?

You guys are wasting your time and money with just the plug, but what do I know.
While I agree with you for the most, I think you analogy is wrong and doesn't really apply. Not allowing the exhaust back into the system is definitely a better thing than its original design. I just think that there are varying levels to most mods. This would just be step one. If I had all the money in the world I'm sure that I would do things differently as I am sure everyone would do. Like I said, I agree deleting the whole system is by far the best way to do it, but I'm not sure saying that blocking the up pipe is a waste of time or money, since this has to be done anyway. Maybe I'm wrong though. My $.02.

Quick Reply: Up pipe mod.