2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

07 Expy rear parking sensor. . .

Old 01-16-2009, 07:13 AM
CarbonClear
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07 Expy rear parking sensor. . .

Does anyone know what the range of the parking sensors are? Does the outside temp effect the effectiveness of them? As my luck has been for the last couple of days The sensors did not go off when backing into a parking spot and now I have a torn and ripped bumper At first I thought the sensor was turned off , but that was not the case this time. Has anyone come across similar problems?

Old 01-16-2009, 07:43 AM
clearnetedm
Junior User
I have it in my 08 Expy and don't notice any change in the cold. The only thing is it seems to sometimes pickup the exhaust condensation when very cold and gives a faulse positive. For the range it seems quite far when the slow beep starts. I wish the solid beep was a little closer. My seems to go solid with about 2 feet left.

Did yours beep at all when this happened, or didn't go solid beep? I suspect there is probably a detailed waiver from Ford regarding failure of the system, no?

Old 01-16-2009, 08:02 AM
CarbonClear
Senior User
Originally Posted by clearnetedm
I have it in my 08 Expy and don't notice any change in the cold. The only thing is it seems to sometimes pickup the exhaust condensation when very cold and gives a faulse positive. For the range it seems quite far when the slow beep starts. I wish the solid beep was a little closer. My seems to go solid with about 2 feet left.

Did yours beep at all when this happened, or didn't go solid beep? I suspect there is probably a detailed waver from Ford regarding failure of the system, no?
Nope, not even a chirp. I suspect that our sensor in our trucks are not designed very well or had limited testing done on them. The object in question that I hit my truck with was the size of a small toddler. It was my understanding that from 06 the sensors were visible on the bumpers of the trucks and from 07 on they are concealed from behind the bumper. Could it be possible that this would limit the range and sensitivity of the sensors?

Old 01-16-2009, 08:28 AM
clearnetedm
Junior User
Hmm unless the 07's have a different system then 08. Mine is as well behind the bumper but I don't notice any limit in sensitivity. If anything it's over sensative. Seems to pickup cars driving down the street as i'm backing out of my driveway. which is 10' away.
I even left a snow shovel leaning up against the back and it too set the system off. I'd be curious to know if the system actually failed and if Ford would at least check it out. Seems very odd to me that it didn't beep since your bumper actually hit something. I could see if it was something smaller and when under the bumper.

Old 01-16-2009, 12:25 PM
CarbonClear
Senior User
Well, I called my dealer and set up and appointment to have them diagnose the problem. I'll let you know either way what the outcome is. . Thanks for the reply's

Old 01-16-2009, 02:42 PM
berry1234
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The older system where the sensors were visible were much better and more accurate. The new behind the bumper systems of 07 and up are slower, less accurate. The range should be at least 10 feet.

Old 01-17-2009, 12:03 AM
jmadsen
Logistics Pro
Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
I suspect your sideview mirrors are faulty. Suggest you have the dealer check them. We shouldn't drive such dam large vehicles if we have no sense of their size. Try a festiva or something.

Old 01-17-2009, 07:54 AM
chuck s
Elder User
Appears to be a malfunction.

Been below zero here and the sensors work fine on my truck. Picks up snow drifts, curbs, etc. so there's no size problem with mine. Spots the bikes on the rack, though, so I have to be real careful backing with them on the back; and it's (of course) totally useless when backing a trailer!

-- Chuck

Old 01-17-2009, 10:03 AM
CarbonClear
Senior User
Originally Posted by jmadsen
I suspect your sideview mirrors are faulty. Suggest you have the dealer check them. We shouldn't drive such dam large vehicles if we have no sense of their size. Try a festiva or something.
Thanks for your concern and sarcasm, but my mirrors are fine.

After meeting with the dealer that all our fleet trucks are serviced at. They discovered a short in the wires in the parking sensors and will be replacing them. As for the bumper my dealer will be replacing it for gratis

Thanks all for your comments!

Old 01-17-2009, 06:34 PM
shorebird
Hotshot
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
That bumper is not inexpensive. The failure of the sensor directly led to the damage to the bumper cover. The failure of a oil pump leads to a burned bearing and the dealer fixes the pump. I would also expect the dealer to repair the bearing. The dealer is not doing you a favor. He is doing it for cause. "After meeting with the dealer that all our fleet trucks are serviced at." Pretty good reason to keep you happy.

Old 01-19-2009, 02:05 PM
CarbonClear
Senior User
Originally Posted by shorebird
That bumper is not inexpensive. The failure of the sensor directly led to the damage to the bumper cover. The failure of a oil pump leads to a burned bearing and the dealer fixes the pump. I would also expect the dealer to repair the bearing. The dealer is not doing you a favor. He is doing it for cause. "After meeting with the dealer that all our fleet trucks are serviced at." Pretty good reason to keep you happy.
Yep I would agree with ya. This dealer has been real good with service and taking care of my needs. It also goes in hand that I bought three new trucks this year alone.

Old 01-19-2009, 07:58 PM
stefatc
New User
I'm happy for you CarbonClear!!! I have an Expy 06 and I can say the backup sensors are verry sensitive for the distance and the range left to right works well even when a car in a parking lot pass behind me BUT if we mixe verry cold (between -15 to -37 celcius) with snow and humidity the freak out a bit ya even if there is nothing there... nothing we can see! ice!!! Yep I found that a day, there was a bit of ice but enough to make them freaking out!