1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

2011 Ford Ranger - What do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 04:47 PM
wendell borror
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybe they will, there's no real deatils been released yet, just rumors and specualtion at this point. For all we know it could have a manual t-case, lockouts and a 6 speed manual. Who knows what they will do for sure, gets too early in the game.

Old 04-12-2009, 05:10 PM
bigrigfixer
The Pacifier

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Imagine this, if you will.

5.0 Coyote engine, 6 speed stick, manual transfer case, optional air lockers. I'd buy one in a supercab short bed. Or a crew cab with a "normal sized" short bed, not a super tiny open trunk.

Old 04-12-2009, 05:29 PM
sierraben
Post Fiend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bigrigfixer
Imagine this, if you will.

5.0 Coyote engine, 6 speed stick, manual transfer case, optional air lockers. I'd buy one in a supercab short bed. Or a crew cab with a "normal sized" short bed, not a super tiny open trunk.
Now that would be nice.

Had a friend's brother drop a 400 h.p. 302 into a 83(?) Ranger a few years after he purchased his truck.
Man that thing flew.
Did such a good job that it had the Ford mechanics scratching their heads for a few moments.
He builds race engines at his shop at Infineon Raceway (I still call it by its REAL name-Sears Point)

Old 04-13-2009, 04:47 AM
wendell borror
Post Fiend
The new F-100 is supost to have a V-8 option, a long with a V-6 and ecco-boost 4 cylinder. The new ranger is supost to be stuck with 4 cylinder variants, gas, diesel, and ecco-boost, at least as the rumor mill now has it.

Old 04-13-2009, 02:26 PM
MuddyAxles II
Junior User
Thumbs down I don't know much about what you're talking about...

Do you mean that concept thing? That Orangey Ranger Max thing? It looks god-awful to me. Reminds me of that GM thing, what was it Aztec or something, only in a p/u incarnation.

The reason Detroit is failing are vehicles like this. Too far outside what people are used to, what they want. Might make something fun to rave about at the auto shows, but you gotta be able to ride in them (and keep your head high enough to see to drive), you have to be able to fix 'em when they go bad, they should still have some value after five or six years.

Toys like that orangey thing might make the boys wet their breeches, but I know many people who, if the full sized F-250/350 look anything like this, they'd drive a Dodge, of all things, before a Ford looking like that! imho

Old 04-15-2009, 11:30 AM
wendell borror
Post Fiend
No, I don't mean the concept thing. I've never seen a piture of the F-100 or the new ranger as of yet. Concepts very seldom ever reach production anyway. We really don't know what they will look like at this point.

Old 12-20-2009, 01:40 AM
matt's2.9STX
Elder User
Back in the fold

Actually, I'm much more disappointed in the talk now then before. I had looked at the frames of those new F150's & other bits. I'd have to move to a desert or something before anybody could get me behind the wheel of a new Ford for a spin. What has me groaning loudest is that it looks just about impossible to keep the frame from rotting away even with focused & determined washing. Most underbody coatings usually make the problem worse in practice up here unless its done just so & monitored. I doubt a new truck would be worth all that, esp with the other issues under the hood.
Just strip out the air bags, A/C ( via dummy pulley), A/T and such. I actually think the industry is overdue for focusing on trying to work with DuPont to incorporate a LOT more carbon fiber, which could eventually obsolete some of the out of control airbags & even some of the headaches with insurance & body shops. Carbon fiber frame that attaches to a steel cab shell. I know we've a long way to go & that it uses precious resources of oil as well as cost, but possibly worth it. Cut down on sophistication of the chassis brain a bit too which means a couple milliamps less draw on battery. Or use that for chipspace something else... better than the likes of OnStar! Like better powertrain or handling AI. Crossing up my own prefs, but better than what they tend to strive for.
I've been off the forum since I haven't been driving my own autos for ages in this dead hole of SE MI. But the family seems to need my Ranger again at least until I figure out if I can fix thiers, which has a big repair bill. So I'm busy under the hoods again.

Old 02-21-2010, 04:32 PM
mazdazoomzoomtruck
New User
i heard rumor of diesel in the new rangers future like the world ranger

Old 02-22-2010, 10:16 PM
4Ranger4
Freshman User
No ext. cab?! Wow, all us tall guys are angry!

Old 02-23-2010, 06:24 PM
arkitekt1
Junior User
That's a sharp truck. I would lose the tonneau cover/spoiler thing.

Old 02-24-2010, 05:52 PM
PSYCHO BOB
New User
eh i'd rather buy a used one, but of course the production model won't looks so bad probably. the crap on the bed reminds me of the honda ridgeline

Old 02-26-2010, 05:00 PM
The13thPlumber
Junior User
That orange thing is just that...a thing...looks like it drove over the ugly stick. I sure would not buy one that looked like that.
Mike

Old 02-26-2010, 07:22 PM
smlford
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I thought the Ranger Max looked a little like a junior Raptor...

I for one would love a small diesel that would get me 40 MPG. With all the pressure the manufacturers are getting to meet the upcomming CAFE standards I can't see why they wouldn't offer it. The smaller diesels are so effecient that they wouldn't have to have the Urea junk on it like their big brothers...

Old 03-01-2010, 08:36 AM
-Jim G
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by smlford
I for one would love a small diesel that would get me 40 MPG.
I am with you on this! If it would get high mileage, I would own one. I am not a slave to fashion, so I guess if it has the functionality that I need, I don't care what it looks like.

Old 04-05-2010, 12:05 PM
wolvescryvelvet
New User
I'm very intrigued now, this is all news to me. I thought that with both Ranger manufacturing plants set to close for good in 2011, that that would be the final year of production. And that replacements to be ushered in would be reminiscent of the F100, Courier and possibly a sized-down Raptor or even a Sport Trac(awful). But this is the extent of what I've heard. I definitely don't want my perfect little truck to go away, but like I said now in addition to being nervous about this, I am intrigued. I would welcome 28mpg or higher & a lower price but I definitely don't want to get a regular cab pickup. In fact I think that even the 2010 Ranger 4-door Supercab needs to be upgraded to a full crewcab! That way we get the convenience of all that space and don't have to get crewcab F150's and go to an even lower fuel economy. I guess I'm not clear about the direction that Ford is taking the Ranger.

Quick Reply: 2011 Ford Ranger - What do you think?