Are air bags a good method to help leaf springs ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 05:22 PM
blueeyedfordguy
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are air bags a good method to help leaf springs ?

Question about air bags. I work on tractor trailers so I have lots of knowledge on them. I was happy that my 88 f150 had 5 leaf springs. They were always sturdy for me. My 1997 that I currently own (2wd v6 long bed) has only 3 leaf springs and they look some what flimsy. The truck is fine empty but sometimes I like to haul firewood, and things like that even u haul trailers. On light loads my suspention is a bit swishy with poor handling. I have seen air bags for pick ups everywhere for 100 to 300 $ . I am interested so I could level my truck and help the ride quailty. I think that up to 300$ is a great deal com paired to the cost of new leafs!! And the labor installing them.y other thought is when I buy an f250 I could mount the same ones on that truck. How do they work on a pick up? Are they worth it ? Is there an on board electric compressor and tank? I know a guy with a 2500 duramax and a very heavy vet medical supply 5 the wheel trailer. The wheels were almost touching the fender. He added air bags and the truck hauls great !! Not to mention for light loads you could change the air pressure or make it more for heavier loads

Old 08-22-2013, 05:43 PM
Beechkid
Received 207 Likes on 159 Posts
While I have never used them on a personal vehicle, Fire Depart apparatus (including the heavy duty ambulances...Freightliner chassis) use them a lot...very nice stable ride

Old 08-22-2013, 07:49 PM
AirLiftCompany
SPONSOR
It's likely that you'll need a different kit for an F250 than you would for your F150. In some cases a kit may work for different models, typically the bags are interchangeable but the bracketry is usually different.

Adding a set of airbags to the rear of your truck will allow you to adjust based on your load in various scenarios. Some people buy stiffer springs which usually works when they carry a load, but the ride quality can be worse when unloaded. With airbags, you can adjust it from 5psi to 100psi to meet your needs.

A compressor system is not necessary, but it sure makes it convenient. We have various options that you can check out here: On Board Air Spring Compressor and Controllers | Air Lift Company

Also, adding one of our airbag kits will help eliminate squat, improve headlight aim, increase handling & ride quality, reduce bottoming out, and control sway & body roll.

Let me know if you have any other questions or need me to find a kit for your application. Thanks!

Old 08-22-2013, 09:05 PM
Hank85713
Cargo Master
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
I have them on my truck an 04 f350. It came with the factory overload leafs but I took them off and gave them to a family member. I put the bags I had on my 89 f250 (same part number for the 04). Yes they do allow for leveling of the truck when its got a load and the ride is good when its empty as you keep 10psi in the bags. I have airlifts and they were easy to deal with when the initial set blew out. they were the lighter ones that had springs around the bags and one got pinched by the spring on a hard curve when it was loaded. anyhow check craigs list as that is where I got the last set when I thought I had a bad bag. turned out to be a melted airline! sold the last extra set to a friend for his truck.

Old 08-22-2013, 10:00 PM
blueeyedfordguy
Elder User
Air lift company, I sent you a pm. I thought about redoing the leafs and adding more but that is a huge hassle since I don't haul all the time with my truck. Not to mention I don't have a garage so it will be not fun to find a place to work on it for that long. Plus its my daily driver. I have friends houses to work on the truck. I could install an air bag system easily. Don't need a very stiff suspention to make my truck ride like a mack dump truck every time I hit a pot hole in the road. That was the problem with camelback springs when unloaded they road horribly . Don't need my truck to ride badly empty. Just as well how do the air bags hold air with out a air tank? How do you air them up without a onboard compressor? Do you just film them like a tire with a seperate air compressor? Sounds like a plan to me !

Old 08-22-2013, 11:47 PM
P.Bronner
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Air bags all the way. I haul a big 5th wheel and have had them on my last 3 trucks. They prevent excess squat when loaded and can be easily deflated when empty to restore stock ride quality. On my 350 I run them around 50 loaded which results in an empty pressure of about 35, and frankly it really has very little negative impact on ride quality. Between a 150 and a 250 the brackets would almost certainly be different -- although the chambers themselves are likely the same.

Old 08-23-2013, 01:27 PM
tpull3
Junior User
Randy's responce from Air Lift Co. is spot on. I have their rear bags on my 2003 F350 SRW hauling a 35' Big Sky Montana 5th wheel (12,000lbs.) and they stabilize the load perfectly. When I unhook and take off in the truck, I drop the pressure to about 15psi and the ride is great. I highly recommend airbags.

Tom
2003 F350 4x4 Lariat CCSB SRW, Autometer Z Series Gauges, 4"Diamond EyeTB,
JWVB, 6.0Trans cooler, 6637, F5 DP Tuner, HPX, IH Bellowed Up-Pipes, Foil Delete, WW, Airlift Rear Bags, Zoodad, Recon LED Cab Lights, GPR-LED, 05 Mirrors, Upper Rad. Hose, Leveling Kit

Old 08-23-2013, 03:19 PM
Irelands child
Fleet Mechanic
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My only concern would be the rest of the truck - that is, and especially, the tires and brakes with the added load that you will of course put on the truck. If you are using stock or a standard replacement tire, that capacity get real close to max with dam' little load. Figure that load capacity out and I would say go for it.

tpull3 - I'm surprised that a 35' Montana will cause you sag grief. Our 34' Titanium which also weighs in at about 12K ready to roll pulls very well with the rear of my truck dropping only about 1 to 1.5 inches hitched

Old 08-23-2013, 04:49 PM
blueeyedfordguy
Elder User
Originally Posted by Irelands child
My only concern would be the rest of the truck - that is, and especially, the tires and brakes with the added load that you will of course put on the truck. If you are using stock or a standard replacement tire, that capacity get real close to max with dam' little load. Figure that load capacity out and I would say go for it.

tpull3 - I'm surprised that a 35' Montana will cause you sag grief. Our 34' Titanium which also weighs in at about 12K ready to roll pulls very well with the rear of my truck dropping only about 1 to 1.5 inches hitched
For me keeping the truck level will be great! My largest load yet was with a 6 by 12 foot U-haul. I was still well under max weight of what my truck is rated for when the trailer was loaded. I won't be going over capacity. My braking ability will be highly improved being that 70% of braking is preformed by the front brakes and not to mention I have drum brakes on the rear. I have definitely figured if this option cost the same as replacing or beefing up my leaf springs while having the same ride empty why not? I do not plan to haul anything too heavy with my truck. But at some point I would like to have a 3/4 ton for hauling vehicles etc.

Old 08-23-2013, 06:33 PM
Torklift Sheryl
SPONSOR
Hi,
A suggestion for you, too for beefing up your suspension are StableLoads.
Airbags are great for leveling, I have them on my 2005 F-350 for hauling a 4,000 lb. camper and towing but also use the StableLoads.
The StableLoads alone or in addition to airbags help with ride, control and also add lift. They pre-activate your leaf spring overloads and fill in the gap in between your factory engineered suspension putting it into play the way it should work. They are an easy install and also have the quick disconnect feature when your not hauling. They are an effective, low cost intro to dramatically improving drivability, many have been used on vehicles prior to adding airbags for great results. StableLoads

Torklift International – Towing, Suspension, Tie Downs, Steps
Call me direct: 1-800-246-8132
Visit our Blog: http://www.torklift.com/blog
Old 08-23-2013, 07:52 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,407 Likes on 1,003 Posts
I have the airbags, but also have been using the stableloads. The stableloads are easy to install and provide the stability you are after with minimal install requirement.

A great alternative.

I think have about 5K on mine now and they are holding up well.

Old 08-24-2013, 12:08 AM
AirLiftCompany
SPONSOR
Replied to your PM.

Old 08-24-2013, 09:22 AM
P.Bronner
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Torklift Jen
Hi,
A suggestion for you, too for beefing up your suspension are StableLoads.
Airbags are great for leveling, I have them on my 2005 F-350 for hauling a 4,000 lb. camper and towing but also use the StableLoads.
The StableLoads alone or in addition to airbags help with ride, control and also add lift. They pre-activate your leaf spring overloads and fill in the gap in between your factory engineered suspension putting it into play the way it should work. They are an easy install and also have the quick disconnect feature when your not hauling. They are an effective, low cost intro to dramatically improving drivability, many have been used on vehicles prior to adding airbags for great results. StableLoads
I just went to their site and looked at this product. Thats actually a pretty cool idea. I like the fact that it can be selected/de-selected almost instantly. It would be especially useful on vehicles that require a considerable amount of spring compression before they get into the base leaf, such as the Chevy in the video. On my '11 F-350 there is almost no gap between the 1st (base) leaf and the 2nd. I don't know if this would work on mine or not, but my hats off to the person who thought of this. ** EDIT -- After looking again, I have plenty of room and just may try them to see how they work.

Old 08-24-2013, 09:53 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,407 Likes on 1,003 Posts
Originally Posted by P.Bronner
I just went to their site and looked at this product. Thats actually a pretty cool idea. I like the fact that it can be selected/de-selected almost instantly. It would be especially useful on vehicles that require a considerable amount of spring compression before they get into the base leaf, such as the Chevy in the video. On my '11 F-350 there is almost no gap between the 1st (base) leaf and the 2nd. I don't know if this would work on mine or not, but my hats off to the person who thought of this. ** EDIT -- After looking again, I have plenty of room and just may try them to see how they work.
They do work well

Old 08-27-2013, 11:34 AM
blueeyedfordguy
Elder User
Originally Posted by Torklift Jen
Hi,
A suggestion for you, too for beefing up your suspension are StableLoads. [/url]
Would love to use stable loads. Looked into it before and it looks like a great product as it preloads the overload springs so they are stable under heavy weight. Unfortunately my leaf spring design does not allow its use. I have a 3 leaf design (2+1) 2 leafs plus the main leaf. There are no overloads in my suspention design. So that is most of my problem actually. But I suppose I could rebuild my leafs and just add over loads some time.

Quick Reply: Are air bags a good method to help leaf springs ?