Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Misc. > Towing, Trailers & 5th Wheels
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Towing, Trailers & 5th Wheels SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-22-2009, 01:40 PM
2 bit Californian

bpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputation
bill.pounds.1
I know, that was just my lame attempt at humor. I try not to take anything here too seriously.

2006 F250 XLT SCLB FX4 4x4 6.0L Auto,Magnaflow Turbo Back (w/CAT),Edge Insight CS,Blue Spring,RhinoLiner,Retrax Cover,Cab Lights Retro-fit,Overhead Console Retro-fit,Bilsteins,Harpooned,C-Betrs,Fumoto,'08 Diff Cover,Upfitters Retro-fit,Coolant Filter,Custom Man Steps,Keystone 2011 Cougar 278RKSWE,2012 Fusion SE
Old 02-22-2009, 01:54 PM
Super Moderator

powerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputation
Me too! All we need is high blood pressure and more stress than we are provided on a daily basis anyway.
2011 F-350 4x4 Lariat Ultimate, Oxford White / Pale Adobe 6.7L PSD 3.55 ELD / Gone but not forgotten.
Moderators, Guidelines, and How They are Enforced / FTE Forum Guidelines

RIP Steve (Bricks) Price........Godspeed my good friend. RIP Paul / Hdslider.....you are truly missed.
Old 02-22-2009, 03:36 PM
Non-smoker

7.3 Rocket has a brilliant future7.3 Rocket has a brilliant future7.3 Rocket has a brilliant future7.3 Rocket has a brilliant future7.3 Rocket has a brilliant future7.3 Rocket has a brilliant future7.3 Rocket has a brilliant future7.3 Rocket has a brilliant future7.3 Rocket has a brilliant future7.3 Rocket has a brilliant future7.3 Rocket has a brilliant future
The only thing about T/H is your fuel economy sucks when you're using it.

Dad and I towed a CAT 236B skid back to CT from Ohio with his 06 6 liter DRW F350.

A 236B series II weighs in around 7,000 pounds so I'd imagine a 236B wouldn't be too far off.

The tow/haul was great for highway off-ramps to stop for fuel or anything else. And steep grades were nice too.

As for using T/H mode when towing 500 pounds.

Would you use T/H mode if you had 2 fat friends in the truck? Because that's equal to or greater than 500 pounds of extra weight.
-Pete, PAA member #84
Old 02-22-2009, 04:28 PM
Super Moderator

powerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputation
Good point. I don't haul fat friends though.
2011 F-350 4x4 Lariat Ultimate, Oxford White / Pale Adobe 6.7L PSD 3.55 ELD / Gone but not forgotten.

RIP Steve (Bricks) Price........Godspeed my good friend. RIP Paul / Hdslider.....you are truly missed.
Old 02-22-2009, 05:04 PM
Ambassador

hanklin has a superb reputationhanklin has a superb reputationhanklin has a superb reputationhanklin has a superb reputationhanklin has a superb reputationhanklin has a superb reputationhanklin has a superb reputationhanklin has a superb reputationhanklin has a superb reputationhanklin has a superb reputationhanklin has a superb reputation
No worries here, come on were all like family
Ive got a ques
Ive got a prodigy and don`t know where to mount it,I did search

Hanklin

Buford T Justice "There aint No way, No way, that you could come from my loins"
Old 02-22-2009, 05:10 PM
Super Moderator

Just kidding about the fat friends thing. Pete has a good point too. It doesn't make sense to use the T/H mode unless you're hauling or towing heavy. It will keep the RPMs up in order to keep the truck in the powerband and will tend to suck up more go-go juice in the process.

Old 02-23-2009, 01:44 AM
Senior User

VRC9170 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Robert W Bates
The only inconvenience I find with my 99 is that when I am lightly loaded and climbing a hill it has a tendancy to shift down when its not necessary. I guess thats where the DP Tuner would work. Am I correct?
Bob
PS: is it possible to get my user name changed and still keep credit for my posts?
Old 02-23-2009, 01:46 AM
Senior User

VRC9170 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Robert W Bates
I almost forgot I am not on the 99 to 03 forum.
Old 02-23-2009, 12:28 PM
Postmaster

J_E_Summit has a very good reputation on FTE.J_E_Summit has a very good reputation on FTE.J_E_Summit has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstroke72 View Post
Just don't use it in the snow in 2wd. Found out the hard way by accident actually. Getting off I-81 on the exit ramp. Kids yelling, dog barking at them, wife talking to me about something. Didn't realize I'd hit the button. Truck downshifted and got reeaallll sideways real quick. I always double check it now.
I second that, coming down a mountain road with two sleds on the back. It decided to downshift at the same time as I touched the brake. I just barely managed to keep it on the road. If there is any chance of ice or snow being on the road, leave it off unless you are climbing a hill, just manually select your gear for breaking.

Jason
2008 F250SD XLT Chrome Supercab Long Box 5.4L Torqshift 3.73LS
SCT X3 from 5 Star, IQR Headache Rack, BetterBuilt Box, Custom Deckover
BC Chapter Member
Slackmaster #26
Old 02-23-2009, 03:41 PM
Non-smoker

7.3 Rocket has a brilliant future7.3 Rocket has a brilliant future7.3 Rocket has a brilliant future7.3 Rocket has a brilliant future7.3 Rocket has a brilliant future7.3 Rocket has a brilliant future7.3 Rocket has a brilliant future7.3 Rocket has a brilliant future7.3 Rocket has a brilliant future7.3 Rocket has a brilliant future7.3 Rocket has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_E_Summit View Post
I second that, coming down a mountain road with two sleds on the back. It decided to downshift at the same time as I touched the brake. I just barely managed to keep it on the road. If there is any chance of ice or snow being on the road, leave it off unless you are climbing a hill, just manually select your gear for breaking.
You don't use gearing or any type of engine brake/retarder when the roads are slippery.

That's one of the first things drilled into your head when you get your CDL.

When you do that you are braking the tow vehicle, but not the trailer. If it's slippery then the trailer will try to push the tow vehicle. That will cause one of several things. It could cause the trailer to go around and be next to you. That might pull the back of the truck with it and that makes for a bad day.

Or it could cause the trailer to push the back of the truck around and then you've got problems too.

Those are both situations if you've got a bumper-pull. If you've got a gooseneck/5th wheel you could flip it around so that you'd smash the front of the truck on the trailer.

If you use the brakes and have the proper brake controller then the trailer brakes will apply and that will keep the trailer from trying to push the truck around.
-Pete, PAA member #84
Old 02-23-2009, 03:55 PM
Postmaster

J_E_Summit has a very good reputation on FTE.J_E_Summit has a very good reputation on FTE.J_E_Summit has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.3 Rocket View Post

When you do that you are braking the tow vehicle, but not the trailer. If it's slippery then the trailer will try to push the tow vehicle. That will cause one of several things. It could cause the trailer to go around and be next to you. That might pull the back of the truck with it and that makes for a bad day..
"Two sleds on" means two sleds on the back of the truck with no trailer. You awlays got to gear for the conditions and I have seen brakes overheat and because people were scared to gear down on long descents, it led to a trip to the ER and a totaled vehicle in one case.

Jason
2008 F250SD XLT Chrome Supercab Long Box 5.4L Torqshift 3.73LS
SCT X3 from 5 Star, IQR Headache Rack, BetterBuilt Box, Custom Deckover
BC Chapter Member
Slackmaster #26
Old 04-29-2013, 05:15 PM
New User

keen1093 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Still trying to get a straight forward answer since I'm fairly new to diesel trucks.

I have an 02 F250 7.3 Powerstroke. It has rediculous power but I feel like I'm just wasting gas when I tow my boat. It's about 2500 lbs. total. I also have a travel trailer that is closer to 7500 lbs.

From what I'm reading I should for sure use it coming down the mountains (I tow the sierras in CA a few time a year). How about flat ground or going up the mountains (its about a 7400 ft elevation change to the top)?

Am I hurting the tranny not using it?

Thanks, I'll absorb all the rookie comments for trying to get specific answers.
Old 04-29-2013, 05:25 PM

senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
Using tow haul changes the shifting patterns. It allows it to stay in gear long to prevent hunting and excessive gear changes which also create extra heat.

For 2500 lbs I would not bother unless going down a hill or steep grade. It will then help to save your brakes from excessive use of that.

For the TT i would use tow haul and leave it on unless conditions are wet.

It does not use anymore fuel as a whole however since it holds the lower gears a bit longer maybe it does. Personally use which one feels better according to the seat of your pants. For me it is tow/haul for anything over about 5K pounds.

Previous Truck 2008 F250 6.4 with lots of upgrades and a suspension upgrade from Torklift International StableLoads
Old 04-29-2013, 05:36 PM
2 bit Californian

bpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputation
bill.pounds.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by keen1093 View Post
Still trying to get a straight forward answer since I'm fairly new to diesel trucks.

I have an 02 F250 7.3 Powerstroke. It has rediculous power but I feel like I'm just wasting gas when I tow my boat. It's about 2500 lbs. total. I also have a travel trailer that is closer to 7500 lbs.

From what I'm reading I should for sure use it coming down the mountains (I tow the sierras in CA a few time a year). How about flat ground or going up the mountains (its about a 7400 ft elevation change to the top)?

Am I hurting the tranny not using it?

Thanks, I'll absorb all the rookie comments for trying to get specific answers.
Actually, you don't have tow/haul on an '02. All you have is an overdrive lockout. But the answer is pretty much the same. If your transmission is shifting up and down from OD frequently, use the lockout. On that transmission, I would leave OD off all the time when pulling your heavier trailer. The tranny will run cooler.

2006 F250 XLT SCLB FX4 4x4 6.0L Auto,Magnaflow Turbo Back (w/CAT),Edge Insight CS,Blue Spring,RhinoLiner,Retrax Cover,Cab Lights Retro-fit,Overhead Console Retro-fit,Bilsteins,Harpooned,C-Betrs,Fumoto,'08 Diff Cover,Upfitters Retro-fit,Coolant Filter,Custom Man Steps,Keystone 2011 Cougar 278RKSWE,2012 Fusion SE
Old 04-30-2013, 07:44 AM
Posting Guru

Cruiseomatic is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Cruiseomatic is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Wow this is an old thread...I can't believe that my Silverado has Tow/Haul and its an '01 model. How did GM beat Ford to that?!
Rust is lighter than Carbon Fiber. If you try to fail and succeed, Did you fail or succeed?
Old 04-30-2013, 07:44 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Misc. > Towing, Trailers & 5th Wheels

Tags
05, 2006, 2008, 3rd, drive, f250, ford, gear, haul, mode, race, switch, tow, towhaul, towing, truck