5.4 Superduty exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2002, 11:50 PM
thewhiteford
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5.4 Superduty exhaust

I presently have the Gibson sweptside cat back. It is not what I am looking for. Here is what I am thinking of doing for a dual exhaust.
Install X pipe to DI/DO Magnaflow cat to Flowmaster 40 DI/DO and run 2 3.5"x12" Stailpipes out the stock location. I'd like to keep the piping down to either 2" or 2.25 all the way down to keep low end.
I would like feedback and suggestions on how to improve this idea as well as how to make it work. My goal is to produce a great V8 tone, gain power, and not lose low end. Maybe it's impossible. The only way to know is try it. I just want to make sure the idea will produce a gain and not a loss. Also, I'd like to keep everything stainless steel. So if someone knows a muffler available in SS that is the same sound as a FM 40 or better, please let me know.
And for those of you that don't know, the Superduty exhaust is very different than the F150 to start with. It has a y pipe after the manifolds that dumps into a single cat and then to a muffler and tailpipe. There are only 2 o2 sensors before the y pipe so I don't have to worry about messing with those.
I've decided not to go with headers. It's just not something I want to get into at this time. I want to optimize the exhaust as much as possible from the manifolds back. I've read that the stock cat is already high flow enough. This may be true, but it is still a major restrictor of sound. I've heard it first hand. And since it illegal to add another cat, I have to stay with one. Oh, and that's that other thing. It's for a work truck so everything has to look legal.
Any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated.

Old 08-25-2002, 12:38 AM
Okie DRN
Freshman User
5.4 Superduty exhaust

I know you have your thoughts on the Gibson Dual Sport, but just got mine installed today. Nice fit, did the install laying in the driveway (ugg) ... I pulled the FM 40 DF off, this setup is not as loud, somewhere between 40 and stcck, but a LOT more noticable than stock. Stock being a 1 and the 40 being 10, in volume, I'd have to say the Dual Sport is a 7. Came with nice looking slash cut dual tips.. got a lot of the lost torque back from the 40 as well. VERY quiet in the cab.

Old 08-25-2002, 11:40 AM
mwc4275
Senior User
5.4 Superduty exhaust