1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

56 ford wiper linkage replacement

Old 01-13-2009, 08:28 PM
shelby1965367
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
56 ford wiper linkage replacement

Hi, I was wondering if anyone has adapted a later model windshield wiper linkage assembly to the 56 ford. I still see some cars that the wipers rotate towards the center of the windshield, like the 56 ford truck does, any thoughts on this?

Old 01-13-2009, 08:53 PM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,108 Likes on 2,642 Posts
This thread is of interest to me as well.www.newportwipers.com, in this link you'll find a wiper motor that is installed under the dash rather than on the firewall. It looks as though they just made a bracket that uses the original mounting points, I thought I'd try this method using a motor from what ever was available, in my case a 1990 chev pickup but it will have to wait until it warms up a bit,these -30 to -40% temperatures make me whimp out at the moment.

Old 01-15-2009, 09:32 AM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by 56panelford
This thread is of interest to me as well.www.newportwipers.com, in this link you'll find a wiper motor that is installed under the dash rather than on the firewall. It looks as though they just made a bracket that uses the original mounting points, I thought I'd try this method using a motor from what ever was available, in my case a 1990 chev pickup but it will have to wait until it warms up a bit,these -30 to -40% temperatures make me whimp out at the moment.
I'd like to see how tht turns out. Reason being that Newport sells the motor, but the "Transmission" (linkages) and hubs (that the arms attach to) are provided by the owner.

I can't remember if the transmission is a separate part like it was on the 51/52 electric motor. But I would thing moving the motor from outside to inside without mounting a different transmission, or modifying the original would present somewhat of a challenge.

Take pictures and let us see how that worked out!

J!

Old 01-15-2009, 04:56 PM
56panelford
FTE Legend

The Clean Wipe Wiper Drive is a true bolt-in replacement for your original equipment vacuum or electric windshield wiper motor. Each model of the Clean Wipe Wiper Drive is designed for the specific year and model of vehicle.
Wiper drives attach to the stock mounting brackets.
Designed for attachment to O.E.M. wiper transmission or cable drums.
Each kit comes complete with nylon bushings to replace the rubber grommets in the wiper transmission linkage arms. (when required)
Clears Stock Cowl Vent and Air Conditioning

This is the picture that is on thier web site showing the mounting under the dash. This application is for 56-60. The transmission, is that not the piece on the lower right portion under the wiring harness or is the transmission the arm that attaches the two rods to the wiper pivots. I was thinking of ordering this, but if I were able to use the wiper motor from the chevy parts truck I have sitting in the yard I would try making the bracket to mount as they have done.

Old 01-15-2009, 05:15 PM
LEckart
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The wiper transmission is just the components that drive the wipers; the attaching piece (bell crank?) at the wiper motor shaft and the arms that attach to it and go to the wiper pivot points on the cowl. I kept looking for some complex mechanical apparatus when I first heard "wiper transmission". If you get a later model wiper motor could you get the control switch and maybe have "delay" mode? I've previously added the delay module from a mid 80's Ford truck to a 56 I have since sold. It worked OK but was only two delay speeds and with the newer wipers there are several.

Old 01-15-2009, 05:45 PM
56panelford
FTE Legend
<TABLE borderColor=#eeeeee cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=3 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width=148></TD><TD vAlign=top width=472>Intermittent Delay Switch
$66.95
Rotary Switch - Three position, Intermittent, Low, High
Operates Washer Pump

They also supply this in addition to the wiper motor kit but will try and use everything from my donor vehicle and thanks for clarifing what exactly the tranmission parts are.
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Old 01-15-2009, 06:40 PM
LEckart
Posting Guru
Yeah, that is similar to the 80's Ford setup. But notice, there is only one intermittent speed and many times you need various intermittent or delay speeds.

Old 01-15-2009, 06:45 PM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Originally Posted by LEckart
Yeah, that is similar to the 80's Ford setup. But notice, there is only one intermittent speed and many times you need various intermittent or delay speeds.
Wouldn't the intermitent be variable?

Old 01-15-2009, 08:06 PM
husker
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts
I'm trying to remember how many speeds my 78 Bronco intermitent wipers have. It is variable and works on a single switch that turns to the right for two speeds and to the left for intermitent. I was thinking of using something like that on my 54 and switch the **** to the original style.

Old 01-15-2009, 09:07 PM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 465 Likes on 301 Posts
I bought a complete wiper setup from Pacific Western Design for my 54 F100. It uses a late model electric motor and heim joint linkages. Very durable design, not cheap but well worth the money. I spoke with the owner of PWD about the 56 wiper setup, he told me that the 56 was a real challenge but he hoped to have a system for sale very soon. You can check it out at RainGear - 1953 to 1955 Ford F-100 trucks
I learned about this company/product through Classic Trucks magazine...they did an article on the installation of one of PWD's systems in a 53 Chevy PU.

Old 01-15-2009, 10:26 PM
LEckart
Posting Guru
56Panelford-
As I recall the mid 80's Ford truck intermittent had two delay speeds and I'm not sure about the one in your photo but I doubt it has more that one or two delay speeds. The late model cars/trucks have several delay positions which really come in handy. You might want to call them and ask.

Old 01-17-2009, 07:20 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Wouldn't the intermitent be variable?
The picture posted is off the Newport Engineering Website. I have that switch in my 51 with the 12V Newport Motor and it is "infinately" variable depending on the position of the switch.

Julie

Old 01-17-2009, 08:41 PM
Truxx1956
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

I originally used a '78 F150 wiper motor and switch, and made my own "clevis" and rods to go to the cowl pivots (from a Chrysler New Yorker) They never did work as well as I'd planned them to, and since I drive my truck even in the rain, I went with the Specialty Power Windows wiper assembly. It worked GREAT, but if you wanted a "cheap" alternative, you could use a rear wiper motor from a '93 up Buick, Chevy, Olds station wagon. They only have 1 speed, but they do have the trans built in. I mean that the clevis dont rotate in a circle, but rather just half a turn, like the original vacuum wiper motor. The real downside is they only have 1 speed, but it would work "ok" if youre looking for a cheap wiper system.

If you got a little more money, I'd recomend the Specialty Power Windows one. There's even a place knocking them off now for around $175.

Just my 2 cents

Old 01-18-2009, 08:03 AM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Originally Posted by Julies Cool F1
The picture posted is off the Newport Engineering Website. I have that switch in my 51 with the 12V Newport Motor and it is "infinately" variable depending on the position of the switch.

Julie
Yes Julie, that's where I got the pictures and was the unit I was thinking of purchasing and thanks for verifing the infinately variable speed of that switch, saves me a phone call. I will go this route if my plan of fabbing my own bracket and the use of the wiper motor I have from my donor vehicle doesn't work out, thanks again,John.

Old 01-19-2009, 08:00 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Yes Julie, that's where I got the pictures and was the unit I was thinking of purchasing and thanks for verifing the infinately variable speed of that switch, saves me a phone call. I will go this route if my plan of fabbing my own bracket and the use of the wiper motor I have from my donor vehicle doesn't work out, thanks again,John.
Hi John,

One more tidbit. Their website tells you that if you mount that "intermittent wiper" switch, you need to purchase the switch shaft extender as well. I found that to be not true, as my switch fit perfectly as it was.

But also, my switch (51 F1) is located high (like 3 inches from the windshield) on the dash and rotates to activate. Isn't yours on the 56 down with the rest of the ***** (and pushes and pulls)? I still don't think you need it - might ask one of the F-100 guys who has this install.

Also, the 56 wiper switch **** is a direct replacement for the cheezy one they have on the switch - screws on and off. I used the 56 **** on mine because the 51 **** is a push on/pull of with a flat key to hold it.

Just FYI

J!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 56 ford wiper linkage replacement