Michigan Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: Toyman

2009 Event Planning

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 05:43 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Talyn

Yea. drag stip sounds fun. I'd love to watch you guys do some runs. I can take the pictures no problem as well!!

I hope you have some FAST shutter speeds otherwise I will just be a blur!!!

Old 01-30-2009, 09:40 PM
420CREW
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I jst moved to this side of the state last summer and have never been to the dunes. How Are They Really. Alot of people I talk to say they are not so great

Old 01-31-2009, 08:44 AM
just another truck
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
That would depend on what you want to do.. When I was a kid.. I ran up and down those dunes.. thought it was greatest thing I ever did.. Hiked all around.. it was a riot.. never drove there.. Not sure I want to run and up and down them any more either..

Old 01-31-2009, 07:07 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Originally Posted by 420CREW
I jst moved to this side of the state last summer and have never been to the dunes. How Are They Really. Alot of people I talk to say they are not so great
I have lived with in 3 miles of the dunes about 23 of the last 28 years I have been alive. But it wasn't until about 5 years ago I ever even went up there in a vehicle. Good fun as a kid running down hills and what not. I am not much of a beach person but that is nice too if you like to hang out on the beach.

The vehicle part of the dunes is fun for the most part. As a rule I only go up when its slow so that takes the fun factor down a little. I take the truck in my sig up and it my only way to get to work in the morning so breaking it or wrecking it is not an option so I take it easy up there. I climb most of the hills (depending on the peaks cause a CC long box at stock height makes a good teeter tooter!). Most of the time I just hang out at the top or bottom of hills and watch other people or we grab some friends and a grill and hang out down at the beach.

If you have a buggy or a truck that is not your mode of transportation home you can have alot more fun up there. You can also drag race on the flats but those are hard to come by the last few years.

Old 01-31-2009, 07:16 PM
420CREW
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How far is it from Grand Rapids? What about tires Mine are BFG rugged trails they suck in the snow not sure yet about sand.

Old 01-31-2009, 07:24 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Originally Posted by 420CREW
How far is it from Grand Rapids? What about tires Mine are BFG rugged trails they suck in the snow not sure yet about sand.
Its about an hour from the west side of GR (walker area). AS far as tires those should be fine. I run Cooper ATR's and air down to 14-16 psi and I can drive all but steep hills in 2wd.

Old 01-31-2009, 07:38 PM
Toyman
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
I have always found it more fun to watch everyone else beat the crap out of there sh.......equipment. Of course I was one that built some stupid truck for up there.

I haven't been there in 10 or so years. Last time I was there an S-10 went up the big hill and caught fire. I got it on video, good times.

Old 01-31-2009, 07:54 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Originally Posted by Toyman
I have always found it more fun to watch everyone else beat the crap out of there sh.......equipment. Of course I was one that built some stupid truck for up there.

I haven't been there in 10 or so years. Last time I was there an S-10 went up the big hill and caught fire. I got it on video, good times.
Lots more fun watching other people break stuff rather than breaking your own! Just gotta situate your self out of their otherwise they could hit you!

Old 01-31-2009, 07:59 PM
Toyman
FTE Chapter Leader

When I was going there all the time I would always trailer up with a crap load of parts. Used to tear down in the parking lot and go back up and break again.

It was fun, but expensive. I'll go but not abuse my truck this time. Maybe

Old 01-31-2009, 08:11 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Look here - if you really are going there with this, why not run a "BLOW BY BLOW" online contest with daily updates as a chapter truck online thing?

You know me and how I am about that - I think an online SHOW/CONTEST based on "MICHIGAN DUNE DRAG TRUCKS" would be the damned BOMB.

And I'm here for ya.....

Anything you want to make it happen, I swear I will put together a gang at FTE to make it work!

All you need to do is GET THOSE PICTURES OF IT!!!!

I know FTE Adrian is on it 110%.

What do you want to do?

Old 01-31-2009, 08:22 PM
Toyman
FTE Chapter Leader

Good call wolfie, but I don't have a "dune toy" anymore. I am definitely up for going and having a great time.

You gonna make the trip up here? I'm sure we would have room for you. Bring that ranger of yours.

Old 01-31-2009, 08:27 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
I'm skids in the dirt at this point - but I have put together some damned fine online events.

- Somehow I figured you would be there for it, and so am I.

If I can't stand flat footed at the starting line - I will dang sure support it any way that I can!

If the people up there want to run, I want to put it online.

And DEVIL TAKE THE HINDMOST

We can do this - and it will be famous!

Old 01-31-2009, 08:34 PM
Toyman
FTE Chapter Leader

for some reason I don't think they will play. I'd run my truck, even though it is stock, just for the fun of it.

I'm in!!!

Wolfie has to run the starting gate though. Whatever it take for him to up and play in Michigan.

Old 02-01-2009, 12:05 PM
Talyn
Hotshot
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
We have a few offroaders here grey, but none of them like to play in the dunes.
They have competition rock crawlers and trail trucks. They dont want to go eat up their u-joints and other parts in the sand for fun.
I know if I had 8 grand into one axle, I woudlnt' bother doing anything to silly.

We do have a lot of members that go and play, but they dont get to wild in the dunes.

And WTH are you trying to do hijacking my chapter! get back down there ya redneck. :P

Old 02-01-2009, 07:21 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
In the next day or two - I'll have a buddy of mine take a picture of me and my neck...

Then talk at me about rednecks, no harm done!

Meanwhile - you havin' any rice with them redbeans?

Quick Reply: 2009 Event Planning