Bronco II Ford Bronco II

WANTED : Rear hatch with hinged glass and hinged rear quarters PLEASE READ

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 09:34 PM
Army_Dave
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WANTED : Rear hatch with hinged glass and hinged rear quarters PLEASE READ

Looking for rear hatch with hinged glass. You know the type where the glass can open without the whole hatch. Also I would really like to find a et of rear quarter glass that is hinged on the top. The owners manual for my 86 ( yes the original) says it was an option for the BIIs. Has anyone ever seen this with thier own eyes?

Old 01-12-2009, 03:57 AM
kernel-panic
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I haven't seen the hinged quarter glass. EVER. Must be a very rare option. As far as the hinged glass rear gate, do you have a rear wiper blade and / or tire carrier? If so, plan on losing them in the swap or notching the 'new' rear gate to accomodate the top carrier mount. I do know those rear gates are hard to find in junkyards. May want to check out Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market and do a search for the parts you are looking for.

Old 01-12-2009, 09:48 PM
rebocardo
Post Fiend
There was never a hinged rear quarter glass window. The hinged glass only works if you have the inside spare tire mount (driver's side).

Old 01-12-2009, 09:51 PM
Army_Dave
New User
really
? why was it in the manual? how can i find it? I can imagine that it would bolt right in in place of the bolt in 1/4 glass. IE a frame bolting in rather then bolting glass directly. I won't stop the hunt lol. I will find some

Old 01-13-2009, 07:59 AM
sailorjohn
Senior User
My ’87 has hinged rear glass and a rear tire carrier (no rear wiper). The tire carrier bolts to the body by the passanger side tailight assembly under the rear hatch. It swings out of the way so that either the glass or the hatch (with the glass) can be opened.

<O</O
I remember a thread a while back where some one had an owner’s manual for I think it was an ’85 BII that talked about removable rear windows. (My ’86 owners manual talks about how to store them.) I believe that the consensus of that thread was that originally Ford was planning on offering the removable windows as an option but that they had severe problems with the windows leaking and so the option never was made available or produced. I believe that the curve on the upper window was the problem. If you know a little something about how they produce and bend the glass than you’ll understand. Ford was in a hurry to get the BII into production so the solution to the problem was do away with the curved window or do away with the windows being removable. I don’t think that Ford wanted to take a risk with the “bad” design of the removable windows in the ‘80s.

Old 01-13-2009, 09:05 AM
Army_Dave
New User
appreciate the response. I wont stop looking. I'll let you all know if anything turns up

Old 01-13-2009, 11:25 AM
5.0B2
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My 1984 Factory Service Manual shows rear side windows with hinges at the top and "cam" latches at the bottom. I'd really like to know more about them too if anyone has seen/owned one.

Old 05-06-2009, 06:09 PM
Chucky Babe
Senior User
i have the rear hatch with the hinged glass if you want it

Old 05-07-2009, 09:39 AM
baddmove
Senior User
My 86" has the rear window that opens and the tire carrier also...see the hinges...

here is a thread on BII options.has the windows on the side in it also..good read..
http://therangerstation.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=24562

Old 05-07-2009, 07:33 PM
rebocardo
Post Fiend
> appreciate the response. I wont stop looking.

If you have the external tire carrier you have to open it before you can open the window, which makes it fairly worthless imho. The only way it works is with the interior tire carrier. The novelty of the flip up glass wears off, especially if you have a defective tire carrier or go off road and have to secure the carrier so it does not bounce open.

If you are parked on a slight incline in a parking lot, you have to hold the tire carrier with one hand, while raising the glass with the other, while holding a shopping cart with your leg.

Then the amount of space you have to squish something through the window is not that big and if you have a cargo cover it is even more of a hassle reaching in while holding the carrier so it does not close on you.

You are far better off instead getting two features you can really use, a rear defogger and rear wiper.

I had thought about putting a sliding window in one of mine, but, the wiper and defogger are better to have on a daily driver or on a vehicle you take off road into the woods in snow.

Old 05-08-2009, 10:08 AM
baddmove
Senior User
Originally Posted by rebocardo
> appreciate the response. I wont stop looking.

If you have the external tire carrier you have to open it before you can open the window, which makes it fairly worthless imho. The only way it works is with the interior tire carrier. The novelty of the flip up glass wears off, especially if you have a defective tire carrier or go off road and have to secure the carrier so it does not bounce open.

If you are parked on a slight incline in a parking lot, you have to hold the tire carrier with one hand, while raising the glass with the other, while holding a shopping cart with your leg.

Then the amount of space you have to squish something through the window is not that big and if you have a cargo cover it is even more of a hassle reaching in while holding the carrier so it does not close on you.

You are far better off instead getting two features you can really use, a rear defogger and rear wiper.

I had thought about putting a sliding window in one of mine, but, the wiper and defogger are better to have on a daily driver or on a vehicle you take off road into the woods in snow.
Man..i can't tell you how many times i have done that when shopping..lol..and getting hit by the tire carrier really hurts to..good news is, my 89" has the wiper and defroster..so yea, being here in Wa. it's a big help...

Old 05-09-2009, 04:57 PM
Hawkeye58
Senior User
The '84 model year has the gate you want, with the window hinged.

Hawkeye

Old 11-30-2010, 02:11 AM
Clint1973
Junior User
my new 86 has flip window and tire carrier, for those who cant hold up a window, open tire carrier, and use foot to hold on to basket of food, look at the shocks, lifters on door and widow, and imagine putting them on stc. few brackets and some inguinuity and u pop latch and step back, watch tire carrier move and hold itself. check other shock/lifters though, hatch falling and hitting u in back hurts alot worse than tire carrier

Old 12-01-2010, 10:21 AM
country0001
Senior User
I love mine. It came off an 84. They are gettin hard to find. I also have the spare tire carrier.

Old 12-10-2010, 08:45 PM
lawnboy58
Junior User
rear gate

I have one of an 86 bronco ll the latch isn't working something broken inside but could be repaired. I scrapped the rest of the bronco but kept the rear hatch because it had the hinged glass. I'm in butler Mo. 64730 about 50 miles south of kansas city Mo. $25 buys it but I don't think it's worth shipping.

Quick Reply: WANTED : Rear hatch with hinged glass and hinged rear quarters PLEASE READ