Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Transmission options for stock truck?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2017, 11:36 PM
Csawyer
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission options for stock truck?

I have a 99 F250 XL Standard Cab 2 wheel drive with 242xxx miles and the original auto transmission. It was a work truck (painting contractor) for most of its life and now I just use it for camping/fishing , woodcutting . I occasionally pull a 2500 lb boat or utility trailer but no travel trailers or heavy towing loads. Completely stock truck.

Truck has only had about 2000 miles put on it in the last 2 years and has sat intermittently with minimal use. It has been out of service waiting for a new heater core for a couple of months and finally found some time to get that swapped out on Saturday.

Once I started driving it around Saturday afternoon I noticed the transmission felt like it might be slipping a little. By this morning I was sure that it was. As I was getting back home the overdrive turned off on its own and the light stayed solid ( no flashing). I pressed the button to turn it on and it did for about about a mile then shut off again and at that point it would not turn back on . I'm guessing that it's going to be time to replace the transmission and am going to take it in to a local transmission shop that I highly trust to evaluate.

What I'm wondering is with a stock truck that isn't being used to pull anything of significance, what level of upgrading should I be looking at doing ? I have talked to this shop previously and they ballparked a basic rebuild in their shop ~$2200 and then cost goes up with upgrades from there. If you had this truck and were using it like I am what would you be thinking in terms of transmission? Should I suck it up and order a performance type transmission that is built and have my shop install ? Look for another shop that is local that specializes in building for these trucks ? What are some rough ideas of cost for different options?

I don't want to waste money on a rebuild that won't last , but I am getting to a point where I am looking at upcoming expenses ( probably glow plugs, injectors, turbo, up pipes etc) vs value of the truck vs limited use it is getting and trying to look at all the options.

I appreciate any thoughts - feedback from you guys that have gone through this -

Thanks!

Old 02-27-2017, 07:38 AM
Big Black Dually
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Used Low Mileage

Originally Posted by Csawyer
I have a 99 F250 XL
I don't want to waste money on a rebuild that won't last , but I am getting to a point where I am looking at upcoming expenses ( probably glow plugs, injectors, turbo, up pipes etc) vs value of the truck vs limited use it is getting and trying to look at all the options.

I appreciate any thoughts - feedback from you guys that have gone through this -

Thanks!
LKQ might have a low mileage 4R100 with a warranty.

I suggest to avoid shops that offer 12 month 12,000 mile warranty and avoid shops that are offering lifetime warranty.

BBD

Old 02-27-2017, 07:47 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,054 Posts
Once I started driving it around Saturday afternoon I noticed the transmission felt like it might be slipping a little. By this morning I was sure that it was.
If the trans is really slipping the fluid will turn brown very quickly, then turn black. What color is it now?

As I was getting back home the overdrive turned off on its own and the light stayed solid ( no flashing). I pressed the button to turn it on and it did for about about a mile then shut off again and at that point it would not turn back on .
I predict you will find that the new trans will do this, too. This problem isn't located inside the transmission, it is in the steering column. The wires to the shift handle have worn through and are shorting inside the column.

Old 02-27-2017, 12:08 PM
Csawyer
New User
The fluid looks pretty clean - clear red on the dipstick .

That makes sense on the wires wearing through in the steering column. ( I have not been able to move the shift lever into 1 or 2 for about 4 years. Was told that the cables in the steering column were likely broken)

Old 02-27-2017, 04:59 PM
HKusp
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
There are plastic bushings where the linkage goes through the firewall that can break. I would bet that is where the difficulty shifting the lever to 1 and 2 comes from.

Old 02-27-2017, 07:30 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,054 Posts
The fluid looks pretty clean - clear red on the dipstick .
Then the transmission isn't slipping. If it slips for more than 3-4 seconds the fluid gets burnt and changes color. At the same time the friction material burns and the clutch is destroyed.

Old 02-27-2017, 08:12 PM
Csawyer
New User
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky
Then the transmission isn't slipping. If it slips for more than 3-4 seconds the fluid gets burnt and changes color. At the same time the friction material burns and the clutch is destroyed.
Ok , thx! I appreciate the help - I'm over my pay grade on transmission related stuff

I might not be the best at describing the symptoms very well but it feels like it is surging around 30 -40 mph but rpms stay steady. Doesn't do it at lower speeds or until it is warmed up. Then at one point i gave it a little more gas and accelerated from about 10mph to 45mph and it started just revving and not going forward . I coasted to a stop and eased it back home ( less than 1/2 mile). After letting it cool it started up and went without hesitation until it got warm again ( around 15-20mins ). At this point back to the 30mph surging as it approaches shift point.

Old 02-27-2017, 09:44 PM
Csawyer
New User
Huh - just drove my daughter to volleyball practice and it ran perfectly. Even got on the accelerator a little and shifts were solid - no evidence of any issue . Overdrive was engaged and I could turn it on and off without issue

I'm going to drop it at the transmission shop tomorrow and have them check it out but now I'm not sure what the issue is . If nothing else they can change fluid since it has been in there for a couple years ( even though mileage is really low) .