Escape & Escape Hybrid Ford Escape, Ford Escape Hybrid, Mercury Mariner, Mazda Tribute
Old 11-18-2014, 11:23 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Transmission Guides
Print Wikipost

Escape transmission fluid change

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 07:31 PM
brcman
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did a drain the xmission case last week when it was 28 degrees outside and my 2008 Escape 4 speed was my garage where it was 45 degrees and it had sat all night long and I was expecting to get 6 quarts out as noted above because of the cold temp but I got only 4 quarts out? Any thoughts?

Oldstuff

Old 01-23-2013, 08:20 PM
gonzos XLT
New User
Originally Posted by brcman
I did a drain the xmission case last week when it was 28 degrees outside and my 2008 Escape 4 speed was my garage where it was 45 degrees and it had sat all night long and I was expecting to get 6 quarts out as noted above because of the cold temp but I got only 4 quarts out? Any thoughts?

Oldstuff
You will not get the 6 quarts out by draining it. The oil in the torque converter will not flush out.

Old 01-23-2013, 09:05 PM
brcman
Junior User
previous comments

Gonzo- Did you read post 11-12-13-14 of this thread. They are saying 6 quarts when cold. I am not trying to argue- just trying to understand.

Oldstuff

Old 01-24-2013, 06:18 AM
tomw
Logistics Pro
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Oldstuff, I have two oossible explanations. Your fluid level was low already or you do not have one of the thermostatic valves or your fluid was too cold.

Gonzo, I see you have been on the site for 5 minutes, so from your experience have you ever drained a CD4E transmission? Did you drain it hot or cold? Did you read the previous posts?

My personal experience was that so much came out that I was worried it would overflow the container. I used a plastic washbasin, a souvenir from a hospital stay, and it was marked on the sidewall as to its capacity. I was so sure that every other report where 4 quarts drained, that I would have significant excess capacity. I didn't. The fluid came within 1/2" of the rim of the basin.
Unless I was over capacity on fluid, or I have the only functional thermal valve, I have no other explanation as to why 6 quarts dropped. I have a suspicion that a lot of these transmissions are driving around with improper fluid levels after a change. When cold, the fluid will generally show 'low' on the dipstick. When hot, it will show higher, but there is supposed to be some amount of fluid captured in the upper {valve body} chamber, which would compensate for the expansion of the heated fluid.
Summing that up, I think you would have an 'overfill' condition if you checked the fluid when it was not up to temperature. The capture would compensate for fluid expansion, and would lower the level in the 'sump', as the fluid heated up and expanded, some would be kept out of the sump.
That essentially means that when you fill one of these, you must get it to the operating temperature specified, or your fill will be off.
tom

The following users liked this post:
Old 01-25-2013, 10:25 AM
gonzos XLT
New User
Wow...tough crowd here, (and I've only been here 1 minute this time). Sorry for interrupting or commenting. Great group!

Old 01-25-2013, 10:41 AM
tomw
Logistics Pro
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Gonzo, I was not trying to shut you up, sorry if you took it that way. I related my experience, and surprise at the amount of fluid drained, and you contradicted right out of the box what I had observed personally.
I in turn asked for YOUR experience, and you clammed. Your choice. Don't feel offended, as that was not the intention. Read the whole post.....
tom

Old 01-25-2013, 12:22 PM
gonzos XLT
New User
Originally Posted by tomw
Gonzo, I was not trying to shut you up, sorry if you took it that way. I related my experience, and surprise at the amount of fluid drained, and you contradicted right out of the box what I had observed personally.
I in turn asked for YOUR experience, and you clammed. Your choice. Don't feel offended, as that was not the intention. Read the whole post.....
tom
Sometimes if now what we say, but I guess how we say it.
Anyway, no offense taken here.
This is my experience: I just drained the transmission oil on my 2002 V6, it was reading full prior to draining and the engine was warm. All I got was a little over 3 quarts out of it, (measured). I let it drain for over an hour, so I guess, things can be different.

Old 05-27-2015, 09:12 PM
goldmax99
New User
Over the weekend I just bought a 2012 escape. Couldn't be happier with my purchase. It has 48k miles and wanted to flush the tranny. Could someone post a picture of the cooler line I have to disconnect to flush. Thanks.

Old 07-18-2015, 01:20 PM
frosty134
New User
I contacted 3 transmission services in my area about my 2011 Escape 2.5l transmission. I was told that the filter in these are self-contained? and can't be changed unless the entire tranny is removed and taken part. They also said that they could not power flush the tranny because of that filters design. 1) Mr.Lube 2)Mr.Transmission 3) Local tranny shop' all claimed the same.

Old 07-19-2015, 06:51 PM
bmuhlbach
Cargo Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
This is true the filter isn't easily serviceable. On the CD4E there is a plug that a 3/8 ratchet fits into to drain. On the newer 6F35 there is a plug I think its a 11mm could be 10mm.There is a splash shield that needs moved to get at plug. My 2010 took 5 quarts of new fluid figure I change out every 30,000 miles this way.

The following users liked this post: