2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

MPG's / so many for sale

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 09:50 PM
gpfarrell
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by benshere

I especially agree with the point of driving unneeded size and power.
Guess its time for me to find a deserted island and move to it . At least I can blame it on age.
You know, it might be time for you to move. This is America. We get to do what we want here. I get to do what I want and you get to do what you want. It's nice that way. If somebody passes you... maybe they are going to work so don't be too mad... they could be sitting at home on the sofa collecting unemployment.

Please feel free to do whatever you like. I'll be doing what I like... in the left lane, likely with a big block.

Old 03-20-2009, 07:43 AM
benshere
Posting Guru
GP----you must not have read my post right! I am aware of what country this is and getting to do what we want etc. I believe I covered what to do if you need lots of power. I do assume (yea, dangerous I know!) that some "Sport" by himself in his dually is going to or from work. But I stick by my point that many people dont need nearly the power and size vehicle they have. That does impact me whenever supplies of gasoline get short and the prices go way up. Whether or not they might be sitting on a couch on unemployment has nothing to do with that issue.

Yes, I do feel free to do whatever I like (You can get put in jail for doing what you feel like). I have had big blocks and its no problem for me if you do, so have at it, but if I see you hauling around lots of vehicle with only a lunchbox in the other seats, I will direct my comments right at you. I will "feel free" to do that. If you come by me, you will generally have to be several clicks over the limit but that does not require a big block.

Did you happen to notice that I was agreeing with another poster? So, I am not alone. Like I said, some people think it is a reflection on their manhood to drive a smaller engine and in the right lane---and more importantly, not pass everyone. Did you also happen to notice that I said the "Island" part as an attempt at a little humor? Thats what emoticons are for . Appears you dont know about that.

Old 03-20-2009, 11:41 AM
carbonmetallic
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
alot of this is personal preference. Do most people need a big car with a v8? who cares very few people do. I am guessing every soccer mom out there doesnt need a ford expedition or tahoe but may drive one.....and am pretty sure ford and gm would already be out of business if someone forced them into an adequate vehicle if this were the case, considering they could be driving a 4 cylinder or 6 cylinder mini van from Honda, toyota, hyundai or any even a dodge caravan, all of which are better than ford and gm's mini vans, get better gas mileage, are nicer, safer, etc.

My wife tells me she will never drive a mini van or van, which I can understand...I wouldnt want to either. We have one son, and travel to see inlaws quite frequently out of town. You will not believe how much stuff gets packed just for a weekend trip...luggage...toys....stroller...pack and play...my toys (guns, usually go out to deer lease a few times while out visting inlaws), etc. All this stuff adds up and will fill the rear portion of my expedition.

ANother note that doesnt seem to be addressed. I feel better with my wife driving a land rover over her old saab sedan. Yes the saab was very fuel efficient and drove awesome, but realistically if she had been in a wreck (eventhough it is one of the most highly rated sedans for safety), she would have had a higher probability of getting hurt than driving in here land rover. WHy you may ask, well the saab and most sedans sit low to the ground and if you live in texas there are alot of trucks, 18 wheelers, suvs, and even minivans that sit quite a bit higher on the road plus alot of them dont carry insurance and seem to be here illegally. My expedition towers over most vehicles on the road, my grille guard is at head level on most sedans. My families Safety first, I want my family in a larger vehicle that sits up off the ground.

If there happens to be a storm or hurricane coming the the area, we are given notice well in advance. I keep 5-5 gallon gas containers in my shed to fill up along with all three vehicles. We have had two hurricanes come over the last 4-5 years and sure half the city didnt have gas, but guess what all my tanks were on full plus I had 25 gallons of extra fuel just in case.

If you want fuel efficient and do not value your life or your passengers life get you one of those mini cars. I am 6'6 and when my wife and I were traveling in europe a few years back (europe has those mini's everywhere) it was the first time I had seen one. I laid on the ground next to it and I am as tall as that mini is long, ridiculous. In America the mini is a death trap waiting to happen, but guess what YOU WILL GET 60 MPG. Guess it depends where you put your values.

GP----you must not have read my post right! I am aware of what country this is and getting to do what we want etc. I believe I covered what to do if you need lots of power. I do assume (yea, dangerous I know!) that some "Sport" by himself in his dually is going to or from work. But I stick by my point that many people dont need nearly the power and size vehicle they have. That does impact me whenever supplies of gasoline get short and the prices go way up. Whether or not they might be sitting on a couch on unemployment has nothing to do with that issue.

Yes, I do feel free to do whatever I like (You can get put in jail for doing what you feel like). I have had big blocks and its no problem for me if you do, so have at it, but if I see you hauling around lots of vehicle with only a lunchbox in the other seats, I will direct my comments right at you. I will "feel free" to do that. If you come by me, you will generally have to be several clicks over the limit but that does not require a big block.

Did you happen to notice that I was agreeing with another poster? So, I am not alone. Like I said, some people think it is a reflection on their manhood to drive a smaller engine and in the right lane---and more importantly, not pass everyone. Did you also happen to notice that I said the "Island" part as an attempt at a little humor? Thats what emoticons are for . Appears you dont know about that.

Old 03-20-2009, 01:01 PM
monckywrench
Cargo Master
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
"It kind of scares me why there is so many of them on the market. "

No fault of the vehicles. NEVER forget most people are totally ignorant of the machines they buy, the homes they live in, and of how to make good decisions. It doesn't matter what they think they need, your concern as a potential buyer is YOUR needs.

Lots of useful stuff goes up for sale when people are pressured to off stuff they don't actually need to function and survive. Lots of stuff goes up for sale from fools who went into debt. Consider their mistakes an opportunity you might be able to make use of.

Old 03-20-2009, 07:27 PM
benshere
Posting Guru
CM--yea, I can agree with you. The wife and I haul grands and family around plus have the ability to tow my 26' boat---if I ever get the time to get it going again We really wanted 4X4 but could not find one in the EL anywhere near. We went for a used one because its in the garage unless needed and I drive my 93 bronco, she drives a Grand M. to work. I am afraid some folks read into my post that I wanted to get rid of big vehicles and go for the MPG ones------"taint so". All I meant to imply--and I will definitely stick by it, is that if you dont load up that dually for work, then get something smaller, maybe an F150 etc. Also not picking on duallys was only intended as an example. I do see lots of "sports" in these big monsters, hauling butt down the interstate, passing me at 75 and no one else with them. No, I am not going along with they are all on their way to work. No where did I ever say that you couldnt buy what you want.

Old 03-20-2009, 10:11 PM
gpfarrell
Senior User

I especially agree with the point of driving unneeded size and power... Also a "Soccer Mom" in an expy, excursion, denali, surburban etc, loading up a gallon of milk, by herself.
Your wife drives a Grand M to work... as in Grand Marquis? Seriously?Wouldn't that fall into the "unneeded size" category, or does she carry maybe 2 gallons of milk and perhaps several co-workers?

After being so confused by your earlier post I really want to make sure I understand this one! (Lookie, helpful emoticon!)

Old 03-21-2009, 07:11 AM
benshere
Posting Guru
GP---Dont know whats on your mind, seems you are intent on challenging what I say. FYI the Grand M is short for Grand Marquis as in Mercury. There is no comparison between that and a large truck that I used as an example. The G.M. (sorry, not trying to confuse you) was a family vehicle that hauled the family, but got too small because of grands (again sorry to confuse). It is still used for that purpose and driving to work.

I have expressed my agreement with some others, and dont expect everyone to have the same opinion (is this a great country or what). I am not going to account to you my reasons for what I drive except that all my vehicles are in keeping with my opinions I expressed. I didnt as you to account, simply expressed an opinion. Notice there are no "smilies" for you. Seems you and I are expressed out and done.

Old 04-10-2009, 10:50 AM
tiger13e
New User
I have an 07 EL and I pull a 16' car trailer with a 1985 Bronco on it to the race track and I get 10 miles to the gallon. Here in missouri I get 14 - 15 miles to the gallon on daily drive to work.

Old 04-11-2009, 07:35 PM
gddyup
Senior User
Quick update from my post earlier. I have put about 1000 or so miles on the Expy since picking her up about 2 months ago. I run standard 87 octane and the truck is completly stock. The only thing I have done at this point is tear out the factory airbox silencer. According to the display I am getting a grand total of....

10.7 mpg!!

Old 04-23-2009, 01:03 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
sorry to dig up an old thread...but this thread has me scratchin' my head

1. I understand that a 6,000+ lb vehicle doesn't get "good" gas mileage
2. I now own 2 of these 6,000+ lb Ford monsters with the 5.4 motor

That being said...I'm having a hard time understanding the extremely low highway MPG's that people are posting up. Granted it was winter and the Winter Blend gasolines typically take away 1-2 mpg's until the Summer stuff comes back out.

My 2006 F-150 SuperCrew (see sig pic) weighs 6,000 lbs, 3.73 gears, 4 speed tranny...it used to (Pre Supercharger) get 12-13 city only...about 15 mixed...and I have been at 21 mpg highway...typically 18+ at a minimum on highway.

Vs what you guys are posting for the Expy. I now own a 2008 Expy EL Limited (4x2)...from y'alls posts, it seems I'll be lucky to get 11 mpg city, and about 17 mpg highway

do you guys have lead foots? the RPM at 60 mph on my Expy is about 150-200 RPM lower than that of my F-150 at 60 mph...c'mon, the Expy has a 6 speed...WTF?

Old 04-23-2009, 09:39 AM
kenttrudiw
Senior User
Don't know, but here is my results...

On the highway I can consistently get 18 - 19 and I am driving across the Rocky Mts, pulling a lot of hills...

In town, my Wife drives 3 miles to work, and back home, so that pulls the MPG down to 12 or so.....

Pulling my 5,000 lb boat I usually get 12, but one trip I was very loaded and pulled 15.5, not to shabby....

One other thing, I am a fast driver..... I usually run around 80 mph, at least on the flats, and that pulls the mph down for sure....

Old 04-23-2009, 10:23 AM
berry1234
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I love people who buy a car/truck knowing the mpg and then either bitch about it or spend thousands trying to squeek a mile or two per gallon more out of it. If your concerned about mpg, a 6,000 pound suv is not for you.

Old 04-23-2009, 10:44 AM
rod.d
Cross-Country
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I don't know that people are necessarily bitching, but probably just curious (like me) as to the expected mpg. Maybe even hopeful. We drive the expy out of necessity because we have 3 kids and a 5000 pound boat to pull. I agree that we don't "need" the boat. If we didn't have that we would probably still have an expy because kids come with a lot of gear! As someone else pointed out it is safer having the family in a large vehicle, so we deal with the poor fuel economy. For the record, I think anything over 15 mpg on the highway is respectable for a 3 ton vehicle. Do I wish it were better? Sure. If someone made a vehicle that got 25 mpg with a gcwr of 13k and was "reasonably priced", I would be all over it. Oh, and it has to say "Ford" on it . At this point we are working against physics and the technology that is available today.

Old 04-23-2009, 12:35 PM
benshere
Posting Guru
I have found it best to only check mileage on these rigs only once in a while-----just for reference. I am actually amazed it gets as good as it does. Sure beats my old 460 van and particularly boats. If you really want your feeling hurt, the look at the fuel a boat burns!!

Its getting more and more important that those of use who use and need these vehicles to start having opinions---publicly. There are so may people that only live in front of a TV that dont like these vehicles---and they vote, unfortuneately. For that reason, I made an earlier post about driving big rigs when they arent needed. It did pizz some people off, which was not intended, but it was true. This old position "I can do what I want to" should be carefully considered. What you want to do and what you can do is a matter of enough screwball voters and enough screwball politicans. Need I say more about that-----.

I think we need to wise up and understand the problem with the later mentality. We must outsmart them and that means beating them to the punch and taking away their arguments. Simply put, those who have a need (purpose) for these rigs better start openly pointing out to those who have big macho egos and dont need a big vehicle what they are going to cost us all. No, it wont work for us to back up to a fence post with a baseball bat and dare anyone to stop us------they have the Army!

The same thing applies to lots of things. If you are going to continue to do some things, you better be sure you have the support of the majority or make them think they support your position. In order to maintain our freedoms, we are going to have to understand the "enemy" and beat him at his game.

Really dont intend to pi** any one off Really hope this isnt going somewhere the mods dont like---.

Old 04-23-2009, 07:10 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
I didn't intend to restart the whole "MPG need to be better" debate.

and thanks for your absolutely worthless comment Berry1234. You obviously didn't even read my post before weighing in again.

I bought the SUV and my F-150 knowing 12 city and about 18 highway were good averages.

However, alot of posts here indicate that 17 highway is a mythical figure.

I was merely drawing a conclusion between the 2 Fords I currently own.

1. 2006 F-150 Supercrew that weighs in at 6,000 lbs empty. Has the 5.4 with 4 speed and 3.73 gears.

2. 2008 Expy EL Limited that is at least 6,000+ Lbs with 5.4 and 6 speed.

My truck is Supercharged @ 6 psi and I can easily get 12.5 MPG city...and that is with me beating the snot out of the truck. It previously got 20-21 mpg highway without really trying. Just set the Cruise control and went with it

vs. alot of posts I've read where people claim a best of 17 mpg highway...the city MPG is a no-brainer. It's hard for the 5.4 to get the monster rolling...so anything over 10 mpg is acceptable in my eyes.
I'm just trying to figure out why the Expy doesn't seem to get better highway MPG's...that 6th gear combined with the lower RPM's should help a bit

20 mpg highway might be a bit farfetched, but 19 mpg should be attainable I would think.

Quick Reply: MPG's / so many for sale