1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Super Duty Fourwheel Drive Problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 01:07 PM
dmodracer3
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Super Duty Fourwheel Drive Problems

I have a 1999 F-250 Super Duty. I used the fourwheel drive one day and it worked fine. I go to use it to days later it does nothing. There is no 4x4 lights or anything. When you go to turn the 4x4 on it does nothing. Acts if there no power at all. Its electronic shift on the fly. Any help to what it is?

Old 01-09-2009, 01:10 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts
Check fuse #111, 30 amp, under the dash.

Old 01-09-2009, 01:17 PM
dmodracer3
Freshman User
Is there a different fuse box under there that I do not know about. There is one there but it doesn't have that fuse that you stated. I know under the hood there are fuses. Any fuses that had to do with the fourwheel drive I checked and they were fine. Thanks

Old 01-09-2009, 01:28 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Originally Posted by dmodracer3
Is there a different fuse box under there that I do not know about. There is one there but it doesn't have that fuse that you stated. I know under the hood there are fuses. Any fuses that had to do with the fourwheel drive I checked and they were fine. Thanks

I was looking at the manual for a 2003 which I thought would be the same. I guess not. But your manual should list a fuse for 4x4/ESOF.

If you know the fuses are okay then you'll have to get other opinions on what it might be. I would start with a VOM and check the selector switch function. Are you positive that it is truly not shifting? Could be the dash light bulb I guess.

G'luck.

Old 01-09-2009, 02:02 PM
Downriver Thunder
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your transfer case motor probably died. It will trigger the lights on the dash when it engages. If the motor doesn't work then the lights won't come on.

Old 01-09-2009, 02:19 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
you could also open your door and listen while you turn the switch to see if you can you the motor work, or get someone else to switch while you listen.

What about locking your hubs in manually. Do they work? My guess is they don't but just a idea

Old 01-09-2009, 10:02 PM
dmodracer3
Freshman User
Maybe it is a bad thing that everytime I shift it into four wheel drive you could hear the transfer case clunk when it went into fourwheel drive. You could hear it inside the truck. Since I have owned the truck I have always thought it was normal. It made no other noice other then when it just shifted into four wheel drive and when you shift out. Also I have been told that it might be the actuator or I was told there was a module for the electronic shift on the fly. Anyone familiar with hearing that?

Old 01-10-2009, 02:45 PM
dmodracer3
Freshman User
To the Top

Old 01-10-2009, 03:46 PM
_Rick_
Elder User
Originally Posted by bpounds
Check fuse #111, 30 amp, under the dash.

From the '99 250 User Manual

Fuse/Relay

Fuse Amp
Rating
10A <---------

Brake Shift Interlock, DRL Relay Coil,
Speed Control Module, Backup Lamps,
Trailer Tow Backup Lamp Relay Coil,
Electronic Shift On The Fly Hub Lock
Solenoid

Old 01-10-2009, 04:13 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Originally Posted by _Rick_
From the '99 250 User Manual

My bad for thinking the '03 fuse layout would be the same as a '99. It probably is the shift motor, but I usually prefer to check the simple things like fuses first.

I do not think it is the hubs, although they are quite possibly bad too.

To the OP, it seems to me like you've got all the info you need to troubleshoot it. We can't quite see it from here.

Old 01-10-2009, 04:32 PM
_Rick_
Elder User
Originally Posted by bpounds
My bad for thinking the '03 fuse layout would be the same as a '99. It probably is the shift motor, but I usually prefer to check the simple things like fuses first.

I do not think it is the hubs, although they are quite possibly bad too.

To the OP, it seems to me like you've got all the info you need to troubleshoot it. We can't quite see it from here.
Yup, fuses step one.

Old 01-10-2009, 06:06 PM
_Rick_
Elder User
dmodracer,

If you've confirmed the fuse/fuses are ok then you can try the below to check the solenoid. Make sure you test the fuse not only by a visual inspection but also using an ohm meter or test light or at the very least pop the fuse into a different fuse circuit/plug and confirm that it works (maybe a light circuit that you can simply look at to see if it's working or not).

what senix suggested would be a way to confirm if the ESOF Solenoid is engaging.
ESOF= Electronic Shift On The Fly Hub Lock Solenoid.

You should be able to check this with the ignition in the ON position with the engine NOT runnimg.

- Key ON position / Engine NOT running.
- Shifter in any position. park/reverse/neutral/ ETC,,,,
- Turn the 4wd dash selector back and forth SLOWLY a few times from 2WD to 4x4 HIGH.
You should be able to hear the solenoid switching. You might need to open the door hear it, but in reality if it's working and you don't have alot of background noise you should be able to hear it even with the doors and windows closed.

You can also use the above procedure switching from 4x4 HIGH to 4x4 LOW which seems to be easier to hear (louder/harder switch).

- Key ON / Engine NOT running.
- Shifter in NEUTRAL and Brake depressed.
- Turn the 4wd dash selector back and forth SLOWLY a few times from 4x4 HIGH to 4x4 LOW.

Again,,, you should be able to hear the solenoid switching except it should be a little louder (harder switch).

If you can hear it switching then your ESOFsolenoid and the wiring to it is ok.

Run the tests above then report back. If I can't help at that point I know someone will step up with some help

The above tests won't do much for you if you're not getting power to the dash selector switch and or the 4X4 light in the gauge cluster. I'm hoping the fuse test will fix everything for you. Atleast this write up might be of help to someome else in the future regardless.

Good luck with it either way.

I have a 2002 automatic trans but I'm pretty sure these steps will be the same for your '99
Rick...

Old 01-10-2009, 08:15 PM
jeffdoerr
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
check the relay under the hood. mine was located next to the distro box. the relay was bad. that simple.

Old 01-11-2009, 03:51 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 298 Likes on 157 Posts
Get a test light.

Remove the two-wire connector from the servo motor on the transfer case, and connect the test light between the two wires.

Have someone turn the ESOF **** from 4x2 to 4x4 with the engine RUNNING. And then turn back. If the test light DOES come on, it's 99% sure it's the servo motor. If the light does NOT come on, check back for fuses and the two relays (in their own box) under the hood near the distribution box.

Old 01-11-2009, 04:22 PM
jbet2424
New User
sotf not workin

Originally Posted by dmodracer3
I have a 1999 F-250 Super Duty. I used the fourwheel drive one day and it worked fine. I go to use it to days later it does nothing. There is no 4x4 lights or anything. When you go to turn the 4x4 on it does nothing. Acts if there no power at all. Its electronic shift on the fly. Any help to what it is?
try disconnecting batteries. this works on my 2002 f-250 diesel,however if I dont use the 4x4 for a couple of days the problem engaging comes back.this is a quick fix until I can check the transfer case motor.

Quick Reply: Super Duty Fourwheel Drive Problems