Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Super Duty & Heavy Duty 1999 to current Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-09-2009, 02:07 PM
Freshman User

dmodracer3 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Super Duty Fourwheel Drive Problems

I have a 1999 F-250 Super Duty. I used the fourwheel drive one day and it worked fine. I go to use it to days later it does nothing. There is no 4x4 lights or anything. When you go to turn the 4x4 on it does nothing. Acts if there no power at all. Its electronic shift on the fly. Any help to what it is?
Old 01-09-2009, 02:10 PM
2 bit Californian

bpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputation
bill.pounds.1
Check fuse #111, 30 amp, under the dash.

2006 F250 XLT SCLB FX4 4x4 6.0L Auto,Magnaflow Turbo Back (w/CAT),Edge Insight CS,Blue Spring,RhinoLiner,Retrax Cover,Cab Lights Retro-fit,Overhead Console Retro-fit,Bilsteins,Harpooned,C-Betrs,Fumoto,'08 Diff Cover,Upfitters Retro-fit,Coolant Filter,Custom Man Steps,Keystone 2011 Cougar 278RKSWE,2012 Fusion SE
Old 01-09-2009, 02:17 PM
Freshman User

Is there a different fuse box under there that I do not know about. There is one there but it doesn't have that fuse that you stated. I know under the hood there are fuses. Any fuses that had to do with the fourwheel drive I checked and they were fine. Thanks
Old 01-09-2009, 02:28 PM
2 bit Californian

bpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputation
bill.pounds.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmodracer3 View Post
Is there a different fuse box under there that I do not know about. There is one there but it doesn't have that fuse that you stated. I know under the hood there are fuses. Any fuses that had to do with the fourwheel drive I checked and they were fine. Thanks

I was looking at the manual for a 2003 which I thought would be the same. I guess not. But your manual should list a fuse for 4x4/ESOF.

If you know the fuses are okay then you'll have to get other opinions on what it might be. I would start with a VOM and check the selector switch function. Are you positive that it is truly not shifting? Could be the dash light bulb I guess.

G'luck.

2006 F250 XLT SCLB FX4 4x4 6.0L Auto,Magnaflow Turbo Back (w/CAT),Edge Insight CS,Blue Spring,RhinoLiner,Retrax Cover,Cab Lights Retro-fit,Overhead Console Retro-fit,Bilsteins,Harpooned,C-Betrs,Fumoto,'08 Diff Cover,Upfitters Retro-fit,Coolant Filter,Custom Man Steps,Keystone 2011 Cougar 278RKSWE,2012 Fusion SE
Old 01-09-2009, 03:02 PM
Posting Guru

Downriver Thunder is starting off with a positive reputation.
Your transfer case motor probably died. It will trigger the lights on the dash when it engages. If the motor doesn't work then the lights won't come on.
Old 01-09-2009, 03:19 PM

senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
you could also open your door and listen while you turn the switch to see if you can you the motor work, or get someone else to switch while you listen.

What about locking your hubs in manually. Do they work? My guess is they don't but just a idea

Previous Truck 2008 F250 6.4 with lots of upgrades and a suspension upgrade from Torklift International StableLoads
Old 01-09-2009, 11:02 PM
Freshman User

Maybe it is a bad thing that everytime I shift it into four wheel drive you could hear the transfer case clunk when it went into fourwheel drive. You could hear it inside the truck. Since I have owned the truck I have always thought it was normal. It made no other noice other then when it just shifted into four wheel drive and when you shift out. Also I have been told that it might be the actuator or I was told there was a module for the electronic shift on the fly. Anyone familiar with hearing that?
Old 01-10-2009, 03:45 PM
Freshman User

To the Top
Old 01-10-2009, 04:46 PM
Elder User

_Rick_ is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpounds View Post
Check fuse #111, 30 amp, under the dash.

From the '99 250 User Manual

Fuse/Relay

Fuse Amp
Rating
10A <---------

Brake Shift Interlock, DRL Relay Coil,
Speed Control Module, Backup Lamps,
Trailer Tow Backup Lamp Relay Coil,
Electronic Shift On The Fly Hub Lock
Solenoid
Old 01-10-2009, 05:13 PM
2 bit Californian

bill.pounds.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Rick_ View Post
From the '99 250 User Manual

My bad for thinking the '03 fuse layout would be the same as a '99. It probably is the shift motor, but I usually prefer to check the simple things like fuses first.

I do not think it is the hubs, although they are quite possibly bad too.

To the OP, it seems to me like you've got all the info you need to troubleshoot it. We can't quite see it from here.

Old 01-10-2009, 05:32 PM
Elder User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpounds View Post
My bad for thinking the '03 fuse layout would be the same as a '99. It probably is the shift motor, but I usually prefer to check the simple things like fuses first.

I do not think it is the hubs, although they are quite possibly bad too.

To the OP, it seems to me like you've got all the info you need to troubleshoot it. We can't quite see it from here.
Yup, fuses step one.
Old 01-10-2009, 07:06 PM
Elder User

dmodracer,

If you've confirmed the fuse/fuses are ok then you can try the below to check the solenoid. Make sure you test the fuse not only by a visual inspection but also using an ohm meter or test light or at the very least pop the fuse into a different fuse circuit/plug and confirm that it works (maybe a light circuit that you can simply look at to see if it's working or not).

what senix suggested would be a way to confirm if the ESOF Solenoid is engaging.
ESOF= Electronic Shift On The Fly Hub Lock Solenoid.

You should be able to check this with the ignition in the ON position with the engine NOT runnimg.

- Key ON position / Engine NOT running.
- Shifter in any position. park/reverse/neutral/ ETC,,,,
- Turn the 4wd dash selector back and forth SLOWLY a few times from 2WD to 4x4 HIGH.
You should be able to hear the solenoid switching. You might need to open the door hear it, but in reality if it's working and you don't have alot of background noise you should be able to hear it even with the doors and windows closed.

You can also use the above procedure switching from 4x4 HIGH to 4x4 LOW which seems to be easier to hear (louder/harder switch).

- Key ON / Engine NOT running.
- Shifter in NEUTRAL and Brake depressed.
- Turn the 4wd dash selector back and forth SLOWLY a few times from 4x4 HIGH to 4x4 LOW.

Again,,, you should be able to hear the solenoid switching except it should be a little louder (harder switch).

If you can hear it switching then your ESOFsolenoid and the wiring to it is ok.

Run the tests above then report back. If I can't help at that point I know someone will step up with some help

The above tests won't do much for you if you're not getting power to the dash selector switch and or the 4X4 light in the gauge cluster. I'm hoping the fuse test will fix everything for you. Atleast this write up might be of help to someome else in the future regardless.

Good luck with it either way.

I have a 2002 automatic trans but I'm pretty sure these steps will be the same for your '99
Rick...
Old 01-10-2009, 09:15 PM
Elder User

jeffdoerr is starting off with a positive reputation.
check the relay under the hood. mine was located next to the distro box. the relay was bad. that simple.
Old 01-11-2009, 04:51 PM
Super Moderator

Krewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputation
Get a test light.

Remove the two-wire connector from the servo motor on the transfer case, and connect the test light between the two wires.

Have someone turn the ESOF **** from 4x2 to 4x4 with the engine RUNNING. And then turn back. If the test light DOES come on, it's 99% sure it's the servo motor. If the light does NOT come on, check back for fuses and the two relays (in their own box) under the hood near the distribution box.
'97 Cougar XR7 30th Anniv Edition 4.6L
'74 F250 Highboy FE390 deceased!
I've been wrong before, I'll be wrong again. Just wait and see. ®
Old 01-11-2009, 05:22 PM
New User

jbet2424 is starting off with a positive reputation.
sotf not workin

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmodracer3 View Post
I have a 1999 F-250 Super Duty. I used the fourwheel drive one day and it worked fine. I go to use it to days later it does nothing. There is no 4x4 lights or anything. When you go to turn the 4x4 on it does nothing. Acts if there no power at all. Its electronic shift on the fly. Any help to what it is?
try disconnecting batteries. this works on my 2002 f-250 diesel,however if I dont use the 4x4 for a couple of days the problem engaging comes back.this is a quick fix until I can check the transfer case motor.
Old 01-11-2009, 05:22 PM