6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

replacing positve battery cables on 2004 F-350 6.0 turbo-diesel superduty

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 05:14 PM
darthracer777
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation replacing positve battery cables on 2004 F-350 6.0 turbo-diesel superduty

Curiously, my positive battery cable that runs from the driver side to passenger side has corroded so much that the cable broke at the base of the terminal mount on the postive post of the passenger side battery. I have only 52,000 miles on the engine. So, it's puzzling why it corroded so quickly. It is partly my fault for not regularly cleaning the terminals----my bad. I haven't been driving the truck that much lately.

I bought the OEM Ford replacement battery cable assy. However, the exchange process looks like a bitch. Can you guys give me some tips or provide a link on the replacement procedure? I never though replacing battery cables could get so involved.

Old 01-08-2009, 09:04 PM
diverseth
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just changed the cable on a friend's 1 year old Ford Fusion. The whole end of the cable was completely green and fell apart. Upon closer inspection there was a very small crack on the battery case at the + post. It was under the terminal so you could not see it when it was hooked up. Had to get the battery replaced or it would have just corroded again. Sorry I can't offer any shortcuts but maybe the cause of the problem. Hope it helps.

Old 01-08-2009, 09:15 PM
TreeTech
Junior User
I replaced the same cable you are talking about on my 04, Its about a 1hr or more job.. Its kind of tricky because it runs over the motor mount cross member and along the edge of the oil pan to the starter. If I remember, I think one of the brackets that secures the cable is mounted to some studs on the oil pan where it bolts the engine block, these are a PAIN!! I did mine laying on the ground a lift would help with the replacment. Good Luck!!

Old 01-09-2009, 10:22 AM
darthracer777
Freshman User
good advice....if there is any other info someone can pass along, please do.

Old 01-09-2009, 01:27 PM
darthracer777
Freshman User
Originally Posted by TreeTech
I replaced the same cable you are talking about on my 04, Its about a 1hr or more job.. Its kind of tricky because it runs over the motor mount cross member and along the edge of the oil pan to the starter. If I remember, I think one of the brackets that secures the cable is mounted to some studs on the oil pan where it bolts the engine block, these are a PAIN!! I did mine laying on the ground a lift would help with the replacment. Good Luck!!

Did you have to remove the battery....remove any tubing to ease the install? It's a tight fit in there.

Old 01-09-2009, 08:40 PM
TreeTech
Junior User
If I recall, I did remove the battery on the pass side to acsess the cable better, If the tubing you are refering to is boost tubes, the answer is no. You are right there is not alot of room to work with when doing a R&R on that cable.

Old 01-10-2009, 11:36 AM
darthracer777
Freshman User
If I recall, I did remove the battery on the pass side to acsess the cable better, If the tubing you are refering to is boost tubes, the answer is no. You are right there is not alot of room to work with when doing a R&R on that cable.

Thanks! I'm just waiting on warmer outside temps to work on it. It's 20 degrees here. I hate winter.

Old 01-11-2009, 02:39 PM
darthracer777
Freshman User

Oil pan? Did you get oil spillage?

Old 01-11-2009, 02:46 PM
TreeTech
Junior User
Originally Posted by darthracer777
Oil pan? Did you get oil spillage?
No you dont have to break the seal, which you are thinking just remove the bracket that is bolted to it...

Old 01-12-2009, 12:56 PM
darthracer777
Freshman User
No you dont have to break the seal, which you are thinking just remove the bracket that is bolted to it...

You're right....changing the cable assy is an abortion!!! The engineering is too "busy". It could be much simpler. They want to make it 'knuckle-busting' complicated so folks have to bring their vehicles to the dealer. bah!

I'm about 80% finished with the job and will finish tonight.

Old 01-12-2009, 11:29 PM
olfordsnstone
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yowza! Who'dathunkit? I would imagine that water and corrossion probably went down the cable (with gravity), as the cable makes its pass under the engine. Seems like a weird way to route that cable... Who the heck brain stormed that wonderful idea? Sheesh.

Old 01-13-2009, 05:15 AM
dschuffert
Posting Guru
Now you all have me wondering about my cables. I have a 2005 with about 80,000 miles. I'll have to go out and check my cables this weekend. Better to catch it early if you can.

Old 01-13-2009, 03:15 PM
conifers4
Freshman User
I'm running outside to check mine, the thought of changing them is now scaring me.

Old 04-16-2015, 03:45 PM
fre1102
New User
Originally Posted by darthracer777
Curiously, my positive battery cable that runs from the driver side to passenger side has corroded so much that the cable broke at the base of the terminal mount on the postive post of the passenger side battery. I have only 52,000 miles on the engine. So, it's puzzling why it corroded so quickly. It is partly my fault for not regularly cleaning the terminals----my bad. I haven't been driving the truck that much lately.

I bought the OEM Ford replacement battery cable assy. However, the exchange process looks like a bitch. Can you guys give me some tips or provide a link on the replacement procedure? I never though replacing battery cables could get so involved.
I just had the same thing happen to me--can you post up a part number? I can't find the thing anywhere.

Any pointers on R&R-ing the thing? It looks...awful.

Thanks.

Old 04-17-2015, 10:42 AM
shultzaberger
Senior User
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe this is the Ford P/N for the positive battery cable:

P/N - 5C3Z14300CA

Or, I think ficmrepair.com has an upgraded alternator wiring assembly or charge wire kit.

Quick Reply: replacing positve battery cables on 2004 F-350 6.0 turbo-diesel superduty