Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Changing mirror glass

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 10:28 PM
7.3 Rocket
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Changing mirror glass

I've got towing mirrors. When I bought the truck it was missing the top glass. The seller told me he would put the new glass in by the time I picked the truck up. Long story short the mechanic that they were going to have put it in didn't do it so the salesman tried to do it. In the process he broke my lower glass. I've got the new top glass and bottom glass sitting in the truck cab right now, but I've got no idea what I'm doing with replacing them.

Does anyone know how to do this? Here's a pic of what the mirror currently looks like.

Old 01-06-2009, 10:43 PM
jeff7825
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There should be three pins on the back of the glass that will push into the clips in the mirror and then should lock the glass in place. You may have to push in all that way at each corner of where a clip is to make sure that the pins are secure in the clips. I would guess that they would click when properly snapped in. Before I let go completely of the glass after installing, I would pull on it a little to make sure it is secure.

Last edited by jeff7825; 01-06-2009 at 10:46 PM. Reason: Add more info
Old 01-06-2009, 11:05 PM
7.3 Rocket
Post Fiend
Ok. Any idea how to get the bottom mirror out without smashing it into a million pieces I'll need to clean up later? Or how to get that whitish yellow piece in the center of the top mirror out?

I tried reading the instructions that came with it, but they were confusing.

Old 01-06-2009, 11:50 PM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by 7.3 Rocket
Ok. Any idea how to get the bottom mirror out without smashing it into a million pieces I'll need to clean up later? Or how to get that whitish yellow piece in the center of the top mirror out?

I tried reading the instructions that came with it, but they were confusing.
I am sure I can help. Post a picture of the back of the new mirror. I had the whole mirror head apart just a few days ago and want to see if yours is the same.

I will check this thread tomorrow. Right now I am headed for bed.

Old 01-07-2009, 08:57 AM
jeff7825
Posting Guru

Any idea how to get the bottom mirror out without smashing it into a million pieces I'll need to clean up later?

Or how to get that whitish yellow piece in the center of the top mirror out?
The bottom mirror should be installed just like the top one and you should just be able to pull out on it to get it to come out. I will say though that I tried to get one out of a broken mirror we had at the shop here just to have a spare, and I broke it but it didn't shatter.

Is that white thing a clip from the old mirror? I'm not exactly sure about it.

Old 01-07-2009, 09:14 AM
7.3 Rocket
Post Fiend
Here's the requested pics of the backs of the new mirrors.

Lower mirror back:

Upper mirror back:

Close-up of upper mirror hardware:

Old 01-07-2009, 09:37 AM
BENG0924
Senior User
How much did those replacement mirrors set u back?

Old 01-07-2009, 09:46 AM
nlindelldc
Junior User
I am in the same exact opposite situation as you. I have the upper mirror glass and am just missing the lower. I've checked around, and apparently you can only buy the mirror glass in sets (upper and lower), but I just need the lower. If you can get that lower one out without breaking it, maybe we can work a deal. Let me know!

Old 01-07-2009, 11:24 AM
7.3 Rocket
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by nlindelldc
I am in the same exact opposite situation as you. I have the upper mirror glass and am just missing the lower. I've checked around, and apparently you can only buy the mirror glass in sets (upper and lower), but I just need the lower. If you can get that lower one out without breaking it, maybe we can work a deal. Let me know!
You can buy them separately. I didn't buy them. The seller of the vehicle bought them and sent them to me. However he ordered the top glass and it cost him like 38$ I want to say. He broke the bottom glass while trying to install the top glass so I made him buy and ship me the bottom glass as well.

Long story short: You can buy them individually. Top glass was 38$ I don't know bottom cost. My bottom mirror is already broke. Sorry.

Old 01-07-2009, 12:00 PM
Adam0331
Posting Guru
I'll bump you because I'm not sure how to help.

Old 01-07-2009, 12:38 PM
jeff7825
Posting Guru
I just looked at an old glass that I took out of a mirror for an extra, but it was for a manual mirror. But anyhow, the three clips taped together go in the outside holes for sure, the two on the bottom and the one on the top.

I will venture a guess and say that the clips in the bag go in the other two holes for the power adjustment, but then I am not sure about those other clips. Or I guess it could be the other way around.

Is there not a diagram in your directions?

Old 01-07-2009, 02:19 PM
nlindelldc
Junior User
You can buy them separately. I didn't buy them. The seller of the vehicle bought them and sent them to me. However he ordered the top glass and it cost him like 38$ I want to say. He broke the bottom glass while trying to install the top glass so I made him buy and ship me the bottom glass as well.

Long story short: You can buy them individually. Top glass was 38$ I don't know bottom cost. My bottom mirror is already broke. Sorry.

Sorry to hijack your thread, but do you have any idea where I could get "just the bottom glass"?

Old 01-07-2009, 02:33 PM
Ponyboychris
Hit it!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by nlindelldc
Sorry to hijack your thread, but do you have any idea where I could get "just the bottom glass"?

Ed (FTE Parts Guy) can order you the bottom glass. Yes, it can be order separately from the top glass. IIRC, it was about $20 plus a couple $$ for shipping. I had to replace my lower glass on my old pickup and I was able to pull it out in two pieces (it was broke as well) and snap in the new one. It's been a long time now but I think the white pieces are used for the ball socket in the middle to make it adjustable. Once I got the broken one out, I could figure out how to get the new one in by looking at the old stuff. Sorry about the foggy memory.

Old 01-07-2009, 02:45 PM
nlindelldc
Junior User
^^^
thanks, I'll give him a call.....

Old 01-07-2009, 03:29 PM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Sorry to be so late getting back to you.

EDIT: This won't make real since until you read all the way through first.

It's like Jeff said in pos #11.

You would only need the ones in the bag if the old adjuster gears are stripped. Doubt they are stripped.

The three taped together go into the metal clips than are in a triangle pattern. One at the top and two at the bottom. They slide in and out of the clips as the mirror is adjusted.

The one with the boot and the one next to it (looks like a boot is missing) that have the length wise slit go in the adjuster gears like the ones in the bag. Check out the ones in the bag and you will know what I am talking about. The ends squeeze together to fit into the middle of the 2 light colored nylon gears that are in the mirror head and are at 45° to each other.

The 5 pieces snap into the back of the mirror like a ball and socket.

The piece in the middle of the old mirror head looks broken. Compare it to the one in the new mirror. It should just pry loose.

Once the 5 pieces are snapped into the new mirror you will have to align them all to slide into there respective clips or gears. The 2 pieces that need to be sqeezed togehter to get into the center of the gear are a PITA. If you wrap the ends with a small piece of rubber band you can then cut the rubber band after they slip in. Good Luck.

Quick Reply: Changing mirror glass