1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

dual mass flywheel/clutch ?s

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 05:03 PM
arkredneck
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dual mass flywheel/clutch ?s

i was wondering if the dual mass flywheel or clutch could case a slight clunk noise and jerk when ever you let off the thortle and go back in to it. this happens at all speeds and driving it very easy

Old 01-06-2009, 10:24 PM
75_92_95
Mountain Pass
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If your dual mass flywheel is the problem you will notice vibration and clunking. The vibration and clunking will change at different speeds, similar to a driveshaft or u-joint issue but you will be able to tell that something is badly out of balance.

My 96 PSD had this issue twice, once at 147K miles and again at 196K miles. I traded it with this problem at 199K miles and have wanted another, though not with this problem since it can be expensive to fix.

If you can eliminate the driveshaft and u-joints as the issue it is probably the dual-mass flywheel.

Since it happens at all speeds and when you get on or off the throttle it may just be u-joints. If you've got high miles on it I'd check that first.

Old 01-06-2009, 10:30 PM
RubberDuck
Logistics Pro

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Yes, it can very well be the DMF. And it's not expensive to fix. If the springs in the DMF are worn out, or have fallen out it will "whip" around when you get on and off the throttle.

If you finally get to where you are sure it's a clutch, Valair can take care of all of it, and for alot less than anyone else. And even more so if you tell them I sent you. But we'll come back to that.

I would also take a long hard look at your U joints and carrier bearing. Just to make sure they aren't toast.

Does it rattle like hell when you turn the truck off, or when you first start it? If it does, than the flywheel is your problem. If it is, let me know and I'll get you set up with the guys at Valair.

Old 01-06-2009, 10:30 PM
charlie92/7.3l
Junior User
yes but if you have lost the springs or they have collapsed usualy it will vibrate and make a groling check your u joints see if they have slak

Old 01-07-2009, 06:21 AM
arkredneck
Posting Guru
it rattles a little when you take off and if you turn it really really hard and go slow it bucks really bad

Old 01-07-2009, 07:43 AM
RubberDuck
Logistics Pro

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
I would definatly say flywheel. When it bucks like that, the dual mass is trying to absorb the spikes of the motor. That's what's causing it to buck. I'm guessing there is alot of slop in the flywheel which makes it worse.

That flywheel is like an auto flex plate with a flywheel tied to it with springs. You can only imagine what that looks like. LOL Sad but true.

PM me if you want the hook up on a new setup.

Old 01-07-2009, 12:30 PM
Neal 97 250
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
DEFINATELY DMF problems. I have my slightly used DMF you can have for free but if I were you go with Valair, Cody has you on the right track.

Old 01-07-2009, 06:12 PM
arkredneck
Posting Guru
thanks for the help guys ill be getting the valair as soon as i can find out how much it's gonna cost me to get the trans fixed to it grinds the gears pretty bad in 2nd and 3rd gear in the up and downshifts

Old 01-07-2009, 06:15 PM
arkredneck
Posting Guru
just looked at the valair webesite looks like a good product and very good price

Old 01-07-2009, 06:30 PM
plowhand
Playing in the Dirt
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by arkredneck
just looked at the valair webesite looks like a good product and very good price
Make sure you check with Rubberduck before buying, he can get you a better price.

Old 01-08-2009, 06:03 PM
arkredneck
Posting Guru
do these clutchs start slipping when they are gonna fail or does it just take a crap on you

Old 01-08-2009, 07:02 PM
plowhand
Playing in the Dirt
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The DMF can do alot of things. It is a two piece setup with an inner and outer section that is held together with springs and a large bearing race. If the springs just turn loose it will chatter and jerk and thud. If the bearing goes it gets off center and has a terrible vibration that can crack your bellhousing if you keep driving it (seen this). If the springs and bearings go and a spring comes out of the DMF it can get slung through the side of the bellhousing (seen this also).

So as far a slipping, there is not that much real slipping of the clutch because the two parts of the DMF can only rotate so far inside of each other. It is usually the vibration and loud calnks and jerks that get people to cahnge them out.

Old 01-09-2009, 06:38 AM
Neal 97 250
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Plowhand is correct. It is usually the vibrations or clunking. My first DMF went out because half of the bearings misteriously disappeared and it would vibrate terrible every now and then. My second DMF did not go out but the clutch started slipping bad when I accelerated. Wounder if the stage II's had something to do with that? Hmmmm? DOH

Old 01-09-2009, 07:20 PM
bridgeman
Senior User
Don't want to hi-jack the post but for the last 6 months I've been hearing a faint squeeking sound when I let the clutch out, only audible when the truck is cold. The sound goes away once I've driven a few miles. I have 160k on what I assume is the the original clutch, is there a clutch replacement project in my future?

Old 01-09-2009, 09:47 PM
1dieselman
Elder User
Also keep in mind that the DMF has a overload clutch built into the back side of it. If it has been slipped hard and over heated bad just once it may not hold a heavy load again. I have seen them slip so bad that it would barely get a truck up to highway speed.

Quick Reply: dual mass flywheel/clutch ?s