Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > Western Region > Colorado Chapter
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Colorado Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: RIKIL

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-05-2009, 10:06 PM
Posting Guru

kameronth is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Gotta a road question for you all in Colorado

I am headed to Fargo, ND on Friday from Vegas and I am curious about the roads. I am going to take the I-70 from Utah to Denver to the I-76 on up. If the weather is good do they keep the I-70 in Western Colorado open in the winter? Or do they always require chains and 4x4. I am headed up in my Civic. I am used to driving in winter conditions because I lived in the Dakota's but what I am worried about is hitting the I-70 and finding out its closed. Thanks!

2011 F150 6.2L 4x4 crew cab
2000 F250 V10 4x4 Off Road-5 Star,Y Pipe,4:30 gears
2007 Chevy Tahoe 5.3 4x4 (wife's ride)
2001 Honda 400ex (weekend stress reliever)
1982 F100 (possibly for sale)
Old 01-05-2009, 10:37 PM

ctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputation
ctubutis ctubutis ctubutis
Quote:
Originally Posted by kameronth View Post
If the weather is good do they keep the I-70 in Western Colorado open in the winter?
Heh... Man, you'd think we all step outside each morning and yodel at the pilgrims
haulin' their wares across the barren dirt plains in their ox-drawn covered wagons.

Yeah, it's open if the weather is good, it's only closed during blizzards.

-chris
Old 01-06-2009, 09:40 AM
Elder User

DND58 has a good reputation on FTE.DND58 has a good reputation on FTE.DND58 has a good reputation on FTE.
Like Chris said, blizzard conditions cause problems from west side of Vail pass to east side of Eisenhauer tunnel.

DND58
3.5"DP-4"Exh/AIS/Isspro Performax/GPR LED/Zoodad/Tru-Cool
IH up-pipes/ATS housing/TM wastegate/PHP tunes
1988 F250 REG CAB 460
Old 01-06-2009, 03:38 PM
Hit it!

Ponyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud of
ChrisMPorras
Keep an eye on the weather channel or tune into the local Denver channels for road info. It only closes during extreme storms and that is pretty usual anymore - global warming and all.
2002 F350 XLT, 7.3L CC 4x4, SRW, Autometer Ultralites, DP TUNER, BTS Trans, 6.0 tranny cooler, F650 dash, AIS w/zoodad, Warn Hubs, 4" MBRP exhaust, '08 rear end cover, Foil Delete, Heated Tow Mirrors, AIH Delete, Homemade CCV mod., Bilsteins.
The Silver Bullitt PAA# 24
Old 01-06-2009, 08:40 PM
Posting Guru

mudmaker has a very good reputation on FTE.mudmaker has a very good reputation on FTE.mudmaker has a very good reputation on FTE.
Just a thought, It might be faster to stay on 15 all the way to Idaho Falls. Go up hwy 20 to West Yellowstone on into Bozeman, hit 90 to Billings and Take 94 to Fargo.

that is also dependent on weather. I use to make a trip to Vegas from Eastern MT every January that way without issue. 14 hours from Vegas to Billings.

2002 Excursion Limited 4X4, PSD, 6637, CCV, Gauges, 4" MBRP, John Woods Valve Body, DP Tuner
2001 F250 4x4 PSD, SUPERCAB, ARE UTILITY TOPPER
Old 01-06-2009, 11:19 PM
Posting Guru

rikfish is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Here's the Colorado Dept. of Transportation road conditions site.

Real-Time Road & Weather Conditions
68 Mustang Coupe, 200-6, not much else! (work in S L O W progress)
Old 01-07-2009, 06:49 AM

ctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputation
ctubutis ctubutis ctubutis
Another site is Colorado Department of Transportation's Home Page, there are links to
road conditions/closures and cameras (some of which may lead to the above-mentioned
cotrip org site):

CDOT Home Page

I'm watching the morning TV news, they're talking about windy & warm on the eastern
plains but winter storms in the mountains today. It's probably more common for the chain
law to be in effect or the highway closed on I-70 between Vail <-> Eisenhower/Johnson
Tunnels than it is for I-70 to be closed on the eastern plains between the edge
civilization* & Kansas.

The chain law generally only affects commercial vehicles.

* The edge of civilization is... Limon? Kiowa? Dunno, but it depends on road conditions.
Old 01-07-2009, 06:49 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > Western Region > Colorado Chapter

Tags
allin, colorado